France Revokes CHAdeMO Rent Seeking Clause

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SageBrush

https://www.electrive.com/2021/05/10/france-writes-off-chademo-standard-in-new-legislation/

Until now France required all DC charging locations to also install CHAdeMO. The edict was slated to run through 2024, but has now been canceled. I'm actually surprised it was still required but I guess it shows just how hard it is to kill regulations once they are in effect. The other lesson is that promises to support a standard until a future date are only good until someone changes their mind.

Thinking of you, Canada.
And Electrify America.

knightmb said:
Time for the free market to make some CCS to CHAdeMO portable adapters, probably from China first? :mrgreen:
Given the active electronics required, they'd probably be large/bulky and expensive (well over $1K). The market for the device isn't large, and at the price this would sell for, there probably wouldn't be enough sales to justify the development.

knightmb said:
Time for the free market to make some CCS to CHAdeMO portable adapters, probably from China first? :mrgreen:

Perhaps, but the market may be too small. I doubt many 24 kWh or 30 kWh LEAFs would pay $500 - $1000 for it.

On the other hand, IIRC SETEC's CCS to Tesla adapter uses the CHAdeMO protocol so they may have already done some of the heavy lifting.

Back