Transfer of extended warranty?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ran a search on this forum for answers to my question about this topic and found three posts, none of which covered my questions.

I recently purchased my second used Leaf, a 2015 SL. The previous owner had an extended Gold Preferred (RC) Security+Plus warranty that will run out in 2022 (mileage is not an issue). The warranty is transferrable to me by putting together a packet of information and mailing it to Nissan with a $50 transfer fee.

The issue with this warranty, similarly with most extended warranties, is that it only covers repairs due to "Mechanical Breakdown" which is defined as "the inability of a covered part(s) to perform the function(s) for which it was designed, due to MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN due solely to defects in Nissan materials or faulty workmanship for which Nissan is responsible." Normal wear and tear are excluded.

In addition, all Scheduled Maintenance as defined by the Owner's Manual must be performed and all records must be presented to the dealer for a repair claim to be honored.

The previous owner was upfront and told me that she wasn't sure if transferring the warranty and paying the $50 fee was even worth it because she had tried to get stuff fixed under it and had never been successful. The most recent repair event being the dealer refusing warranty coverage on a cracked washer reservoir.

I hate throwing $50 down a rat hole and sending Nissan a bunch of stuff to get the warranty transferred if it is not really worth it. No way am I going to take my car into a dealer for their "standard scheduled maintenance."

So, opinions on whether transferring the warranty is worth it?

If this is the Nissan Gold Preferred warranty, I'd definitely do it. It essentially extends the 36 month, bumper to bumper warranty for more years. Just keep in mind that the stated length of coverage includes the first three years the car is under the OEM warranty, so a '4 year' plan is actually a 1 year extension after the B2B plan ends. Also (and again, if this is the same warranty) if you can transfer the New Car version of the warranty, that gives better coverage than the Used Car version.

As for why the previous owner was refused repairs, I think that she was dealing with a crooked dealership. Or this is a different plan with a similar name...

LeftieBiker said:
If this is the Nissan Gold Preferred warranty, I'd definitely do it. It essentially extends the 36 month, bumper to bumper warranty for more years. Just keep in mind that the stated length of coverage includes the first three years the car is under the OEM warranty, so a '4 year' plan is actually a 1 year extension after the B2B plan ends. Also (and again, if this is the same warranty) if you can transfer the New Car version of the warranty, that gives better coverage than the Used Car version.

As for why the previous owner was refused repairs, I think that she was dealing with a crooked dealership. Or this is a different plan with a similar name...

Thanks for your reply. This warranty is for 84 months or 100,000 miles.

Definitely not bumper to bumper. Besides the main battery, there are lots of exclusions including but not limited to paint, exhaust system, carpet, glass, upholstery, soft trim, moldings, air bag, lenses and bulbs, tires, brake drums, disc brake rotors, wheels, strut inserts, shock absorbers, squeaks, rattles wind noise, remote keyless entry system, etc, etc, etc. I know some of that stuff is covered under other warranties.

The formal name of the warranty is Nissan Security+Plus Gold Preferred (RC) (Contract Type C).

Those are the exclusions? So the only thing it sounds like it covers is the motor and inverter and charge controller I guess? Well those are not cheap to fix if they break. $50 would be worth it as a one time payment to cover those, you never know. :?

Found a link on Nissan for the document:
https://owners.nissanusa.com/content/techpub/extendedserviceplans/SecurityPlus_Gold_Preferred_FL.pdf

NorCalLeafOwner said:
Thanks for your reply. This warranty is for 84 months or 100,000 miles.

Definitely not bumper to bumper. Besides the main battery, there are lots of exclusions including but not limited to paint, exhaust system, carpet, glass, upholstery, soft trim, moldings, air bag, lenses and bulbs, tires, brake drums, disc brake rotors, wheels, strut inserts, shock absorbers, squeaks, rattles wind noise, remote keyless entry system, etc, etc, etc. I know some of that stuff is covered under other warranties.

The formal name of the warranty is Nissan Security+Plus Gold Preferred (RC) (Contract Type C).

knightmb,

Yes, that is the contract in your link.

Section 8.08 has the laundry list of exclusions. I will probably grit my teeth and to do it, but even the motor, etc. would not be covered unless I could prove that I did all of the scheduled maintenance required in the Owner's Manual.

NorCalLeafOwner said:
knightmb,

Yes, that is the contract in your link.

Section 8.08 has the laundry list of exclusions. I will probably grit my teeth and to do it, but even the motor, etc. would not be covered unless I could prove that I did all of the scheduled maintenance required in the Owner's Manual.

Wait... does that mean the previous owner can mess this up by not doing it or do you get a fresh start?

Previous owner has signed the transfer form, so I would need to put together a package to submit to Nissan which includes the transfer form, copy of my title (which I am waiting for DMV to issue), a letter showing transfer date and mileage, copies of complete maintenance documents (previous owner did have some dealer maintenance records she gave me) and the $50 transfer fee.

So, it's up to me to submit the package to Nissan and then ( I guess if Nissan approves the transfer) I would assume the remainder of her 84 month term which expires next year.

knightmb [/quote]

Wait... does that mean the previous owner can mess this up by not doing it or do you get a fresh start?
[/quote]

Those are the exclusions? So the only thing it sounds like it covers is the motor and inverter and charge controller I guess?

It covers the climate control system, the Infotainment system (excluding the phone-related systems, apparently) and, IIRC, things like the brake booster and ABS system. For $50 I'd snap it up. Can anyone name a non-OEM warranty that covers upholstery, paint and glass?

LeftieBiker said:
It covers the climate control system, the Infotainment system (excluding the phone-related systems, apparently) and, IIRC, things like the brake booster and ABS system. For $50 I'd snap it up. Can anyone name a non-OEM warranty that covers upholstery, paint and glass?
In that case, it would be worth the $$ then, those can be expensive to fix too. So, seems to be a good deal in covering the really expensive stuff to fix out of warranty.

For $50, I would definitely transfer it. The aftermarket extended warranty on my 2015 paid for an intelligent brake module (master cylinder, hydraulic booster pump, and control module all in one--there have been a few failures reported on the forum) which was close to $3000 with labor.

Well, I agree for paying $50 it would give me something to at least argue with the dealer about a repair, but I'm still concerned that they will just say that not all of the scheduled maintenance was done according to the Owner's Manual. I actually had this exact same problem getting a home warranty honored when our A/C went out--the warranty company refused to pay for it because we didn't have records showing yearly maintenance on the system.

The previous owner paid $1714 for this extended warranty when the car was purchased new (she gave me the original sales agreement). She was not successful in getting the dealer to fix anything under it after her original warranty expired. :cry:

There is not much scheduled maintenance on LEAF and no requirement that it be performed by a dealer (except for annual battery test) so you should be able to argue that required maintenance was performed (refer to Magnuson--Moss warranty act) if you have an issue. I had home warranty plans provided by sellers on two different houses I purchased and was unable to get repairs performed under either one so I will never buy a home warranty.

LeftieBiker said:
This illustrates the importance of buying from a dealer who at least seems trustworthy.

I agree. I bought the 2015 Leaf a 100 miles from where I live. The Nissan dealer in my area has been great, including helping me get a goodwill main battery replacement on my 2011 Leaf after the warranty had expired. :D

I bought a $500 extended warranty with my 1986 Civic Si. Years later it developed a vibration at about 55MPH. The dealership where I bought the car replaced both front axles under that warranty - about a $1500 job.

(It turned out to be broken belts in two of the tires, but the point is that decent car dealerships do honor the warranties they sell.)

GerryAZ said:
Since you have a good relationship with your local dealer, you should definitely spend the $50 to transfer the Nissan extended warranty.

Yes, agreed. I think it's worth it on the chance that my local dealer will honor it. I have had no problems with my 2011 Leaf after the main battery was replaced other than replacing the 12V battery myself. Hopefully, I won't need to use the extended warranty anyway.

Back