30K service on a "Nissan certified pre-owned" we got at 26K miles?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Driver8

We got our 2017 Leaf at about 26K miles in Sept 2020 from a Nissan dealer. Well, we've now hit the 30K mark and got an email about servicing it. Do we need to do this service, given the car was with Nissan at 26K? Is it safe to assume they did the required maintenance at that point?
According to Nissan, this is what they recommend at 30K:
Replace brake fluid
Replace in-cabin microfilter
Rotate tires
Inspect:
Axle and suspension parts
Brake pads and rotors
Drive shaft boots
Charging port
Charging port sealing cap
Steering linkage ball joints
Front suspension ball joints
Steering gear and linkage
EV Battery Usage Report 1
Reduction gear oil

None of those are absolutely needed now if they were ever done, so check the service record with the dealership. It is unlikely that they would have done it early. If they were never done, I would recommend the brake fluid flush and cabin filter, along with tire rotation. The reduction gear oil change is a good idea if never done, but you can wait another 6 to 12 months for that. It is unlikely that the car needs brakes.

Dala posted a nice video of a DIY reduction gear oil change at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQda4531plQ

Replacing the cabin filter is not hard but can be annoying the first time, mostly because it is not obvious how to remove the filter cover. I've forgotten if the clip is top or bottom.

My understanding is that the battery warranty depends on annual battery reports being done. That's the only scheduled service I've had done at a dealership on my 2016. I suspect your 2017 came with a copy of the most recent battery report, so you can know when to have the next one done.

Some have said that it would be a reach by Nissan for a warranty claim on a failed battery to be denied due to a missed battery report. I tend to agree, but they're not expensive, and they give the car a minimal safety inspection while they're at it.

I've done one cabin air filter change and gearbox oil change myself; they're not that hard. I don't rotate my tires, instead I move the rears to the front when the fronts need replacing, and put two new tires on the rear. Brake fluid is the one area that could use attention soon (26K miles now, bought at 18k).

bobkart said:
Brake fluid is the one area that could use attention soon (26K miles now, bought at 18k).

I don't expect to ever change the brake fluid, but I'll get around to checking it with a test strip to be sure.
I think for my climate the more important brake maintenance is to lube the caliper pins and to occasionally use friction brakes to keep rust off the rotors.

As for the Nissan 'battery check' -- I'll keep my money, thanks.
Those paranoid about the warranty can just have a battery check before they plan to demand a warranty repair. You can bet that Nissan will give the battery a perfect bill of health.

Back