Planning a trip tomorrow - How can LeafSpy Help

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wtdedula

Hello All;
Need your advice asap. I am planning a trip tomorrow in my Leaf that just lost one bar recently. The whole trip is about 120 miles total with a Nissan dealer (With a charging station almost exactly in the middle so I have two legs of my trip, each going 60 miles with a charge in-between them. There is also a Walmart with a charging station nearby but I don't like going to Walmarts because they are notorously blocked by rude non-ev motorists. I am not taking the freeway so my speed will likely not exceed 55 MPH. I just got the PRO version of Leafspy which works great. I purposely waited until the temps were above 45 so I wouldn't need the heater. For reference, I have a 2015 Leaf "S".

So here are my questions - would you feel comfortable going 60 miles if you lost one bar within the past month? Can LeafSpy help determine if I am able to go this distance? I believe a new Leaf has a distance of 84 miles. I was able to make this trip 3 years ago.

I maybe could stop somewhere in-between both of those 60 mi legs but that will make for an extra long trip with so many stops. Thanks.

I'm anxiously waiting for the release of Ariya in the U.S. so I don't have to deal with Range Anxiety any more. Hopefully we'll see it later this year - fingers crossed.

Tim

60 miles at moderate speed with minimal heat should not be a problem with only 1 bar loss on a 2015 (assuming full charge at start of trip). You will need a little patience when you charge at the halfway point because the charge rate will taper more than when the battery was new (due to increased internal resistance).

There is no practical difference in range the day before you lost a bar and the day after. So if you have been able to drive 60 miles in the past few months, you still can.

Leafspy will show ~ 17-18 kWh available from a full charge. Since your trip is 60 miles, you can use 1.7 kWh every 6 miles. Make a table for yourself:

6 miles, 17-1.7 kWh
12 miles, 17 - 1.7*2 kWh
18 miles, 17 - 1.7*3 kWh
If LeafSpy is showing remaining kWh lower than your table mid-points you need to slow down, charge, or turn back unless downhill is coming up.

You don't have a lot of room for error.
A headwind may cause you to fail
Wet roads may cause you to fail
Elevation changes may cause you to fail

Google maps will show you elevation changes if you choose bicycle mode
Look up wind on a weather website
Check plugshare for other charging points you can use as needed. This is probably THE most important step. You need contingency planning.
Last, be sure to inflate your tyres to sidewall maximum.

Good luck !

--------------
Tangential comments
  • Do you carry a mobile EVSE with adapters for different 240V outlets ? It would help you immensely in your contingency planning, and no less important, let you turn trips into something approaching enjoyable rather than an exercise in anxiety.
  • WHY are you going to a dealership ? If it is periodic maintenance Nissan recommends -- think twice. I either skip it, do it myself, or pay locally.

If I had your Leaf, knowing that I am not going on the freeway, I would do it. I've done the same trip in my 9 bar 2013 Leaf at 70 miles, so your 11 bar Leaf should be able to do it as well without coming in at your charging stop with 3% battery left like me :mrgreen:
But also, I don't know the details of your trip. Are you going up mountains the entire way or is it fairly flat or just some up and down that balance out for regen, etc. Can you give us an idea of at least which city to city you are going, don't need exact address? If the trip is back roads where you can keep it under 55 mph or you can get at least 4 miles/kwh of driving, then I would have the confidence to do it.

wtdedula said:
Hello All;
Need your advice asap. I am planning a trip tomorrow in my Leaf that just lost one bar recently. The whole trip is about 120 miles total with a Nissan dealer (With a charging station almost exactly in the middle so I have two legs of my trip, each going 60 miles with a charge in-between them. There is also a Walmart with a charging station nearby but I don't like going to Walmarts because they are notorously blocked by rude non-ev motorists. I am not taking the freeway so my speed will likely not exceed 55 MPH. I just got the PRO version of Leafspy which works great. I purposely waited until the temps were above 45 so I wouldn't need the heater. For reference, I have a 2015 Leaf "S".

So here are my questions - would you feel comfortable going 60 miles if you lost one bar within the past month? Can LeafSpy help determine if I am able to go this distance? I believe a new Leaf has a distance of 84 miles. I was able to make this trip 3 years ago.

I maybe could stop somewhere in-between both of those 60 mi legs but that will make for an extra long trip with so many stops. Thanks.

I'm anxiously waiting for the release of Ariya in the U.S. so I don't have to deal with Range Anxiety any more. Hopefully we'll see it later this year - fingers crossed.

Tim

Very interesting;
Love all of your comments.

knightmb - good encouragement. No mountains thankfully - mostly flat terrain. Traveling from Cleveland to Columbus (Ohio). I believe Leafspy reported that I'm getting 4 miles per HWH.

Sagebrush - Wet roads and elevation changes shouldn't be an issue today as I purposely waited to take this trip until temps get into the mid-high 40s which I know for a fact I don't need heater in that case. I also waited until no rain and today it's only 1-2% chance. Wind seems a little high at 21mph so that could be my only issue. I carry the charging cable that came with the car. I don't carry a portable level 2 charger but have been thinking about getting one - perhaps I should. Have any brand recommendations?

Oh God, I'm not going to a dealership for service, only to get a charge. I did use the dealership for service a few times but the last time (Just last week prior to this trip) I took it to my favorite car repair place and I'm sure I saved some money. They did a few basic things (for safety) like replae the wipers and air filter but nothing major. There's not much that has to be done with an EVs thankfully.

Tim

wtdedula said:
Wind seems a little high at 21mph so that could be my only issue.
Think about wind speed as a net addition (or subtraction) to your car speed. So e.g., a headwind of 21 mph in a car traveling at 49 mph would be energy consumption equal to 70 mph car speed without wind.

Usually wind is not exactly the same direction as the car. You can approximate the effect by taking the wind_speed*Cos(resultant_angle)

OP,
I hope you are familiar with plugshare.com

By the way, a Nissan dealership in Medina offers 6 kW charging during their business hours for a flat fee of $7.

SageBrush said:
By the way, a Nissan dealership in Medina offers 6 kW charging during their business hours for a flat fee of $7.

Wasn't aware that any dealership charged to use the power, well maybe expect for the QC, have seen some that do, but for the L2, how bizarre. :?

wtdedula said:

Tim

I see these at the Nissan HQ all the time when I charge over there, someone at the HQ is driving one around (either for testing or some management person), I should take pictures next time because the thing is a lot bigger than you think. Funny, it's always plugged into the L2 and it appears to have the same L2 plugs on both sides of the front, not sure if that is for convenience or some other reason? :?:

knightmb said:
SageBrush said:

Wasn't aware that any dealership charged to use the power, well maybe expect for the QC, have seen some that do, but for the L2, how bizarre. :?
<<shrug>>
Compared to a tow, it is a fine service at an unbeatable price.

I counsel against complaining too hard about expensive services or you will end up with nothing. That is not preferable

SageBrush said:
Compared to a tow, it is a fine service at an unbeatable price.

I counsel against complaining too hard about expensive services or you will end up with nothing. That is not preferable
I wonder if that is why they charge? They have a captive customer base :lol:

Can't charge you for belts, oil changes, mufflers, spark plugs and such so they need to charge you for something ;)
While I am used to Nissan chargers being free I see nothing wrong with charging the power is not free nor was the charger.

Back