What is going to be your next EV?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baltneu

My 2018 SL lease expires October of this year, so I am beginning to look for its replacement. I am not going to buy my current car, want a longer range vehicle so the Plus is not going to work for me. I am pretty sure I want AWD this go around.

I don’t need a hatchback or SUV so I am eying the Tesla Model 3. I am sure I will look at the Mustang-E.

I saw the Bolt announcement today of the 2 2022 models and was not impressed at all. FWD only and the same battery in both models, really?

Anyone else have their next car in site?

For me, no idea. Unless my Bolt gets totaled or turns out to be a POS or money pit (hasn't needed any repairs yet) or my personal needs change in a big way, I plan to keep my Bolt for a long while, hopefully until it's at least 8 years old, when the warranty on the EV bits expire.

I have no need for AWD or more range. It is disappointing that supposedly, the DC FCing max rate and profile is unchanged though. 55 kW max and the taper profile Bolt had was fine when it came out in Dec 2016 but seems not so competitive now vs. other 200+ mile EPA range BEVs.

However, I could have some other circumstances (e.g. move or job change) where may not be able to charge at home or work. Right now, I can L1 charge at home (which I almost never do) and there are cheap L2 choices not far from home. I'd been taking advantage of cheaper paid charging and free/discounted juice from DrivetheARC (basically over now). When we return to the office (I'm guessing July or Aug 2021 for me), I can once again L2 charge for free at work.

Ford Mach-E is of little interest to me. I saw it (outside only) over a year ago on the show floor at CES and it was unattractive to me.

When I eventually turn in my Leaf, my options seem to be:

* Lease a cheap Leaf S, if there are any.

* Lease a "fire sale" Bolt. ;)

* Buy a cheap used EV, like an iMiev or a degraded Leaf, as the backup car, and mainly drive our 2020 SV+.

Baltneu said:
My 2018 SL lease expires October of this year, so I am beginning to look for its replacement. I am not going to buy my current car, want a longer range vehicle so the Plus is not going to work for me. I am pretty sure I want AWD this go around.

I don’t need a hatchback or SUV so I am eying the Tesla Model 3. I am sure I will look at the Mustang-E.

I saw the Bolt announcement today of the 2 2022 models and was not impressed at all. FWD only and the same battery in both models, really?

My next EV is likely going to be a 2018 LEAF as I'd like to have a longer range EV ;)

alozzy said:
Baltneu said:

My next EV is likely going to be a 2018 LEAF as I'd like to have a longer range EV ;)

If you buy a used 2018 you get max 150 miles, being a used car the battery might give you less.
You are also buying old technology, plus headaches of a used vehicle.
The fact is, Nissan has not put a nickel into the Leaf in years. The 2021 is the same car as the 2020 and 2019. The car is going end of life.
They are betting on the Ariya.

While not a true BEV, my next EV will be a RAV4 PHEV, roughly 40 mile EV only range and the sky is the limit after that, with it's roughly 40MPG ICE :) We've placed a $500 deposit down but unfortunately been told it could be 2-2.5 yrs before ours is ready :(
I currently have 2 BEV Leafs as well as an older Prius for road trips and am trying to get down on the number of vehicles I have to maintain and purchase increasingly expensive tabs for! In my state it doesn't really pay to keep low-range little-used EVs as we have a rather expensive "EV" surcharge that as of now only includes true BEVs and not PHEVs.......

We have an Old LEAF and a 2018 Tesla Model 3, but a practical use for only one, general purpose car. As is, we are set for a lonng time, perhaps until we decide to stop driving due to old age. I can only think of a few reasons why I would swap/buy another EV

1. For the hell of it
2. Some marginal convenience
3. Infirmity that makes the Model 3 difficult to get into/out of (my back has been hurting, so I thought of that one.)
4. Full self-driving that cannot be purchased for the Model 3

SageBrush said:
We have an Old LEAF and a 2018 Tesla Model 3, but a practical use for only one, general purpose car. As is, we are set for a lonng time, perhaps until we decide to stop driving due to old age. I can only think of a few reasons why I would swap/buy another EV

1. For the hell of it
2. Some marginal convenience
3. Infirmity that makes the Model 3 difficult to get into/out of (my back has been hurting, so I thought of that one.)
4. Full self-driving that cannot be purchased for the Model 3
Some of us lease

With our 2 2019 Leaf Pluses, we are set for a while. The one thing (short of an accident or big mechanical issue) is that we need to seed one of our emergent adult children with a safe car for work.

If that happens, then will see what is available, as the options are just exploding every year. My wife really wants a 7 seater, but those options are very limited right now. EQV and a couple others might appear in a couple years. Let's see. The 200ish range on a charge with the Plus so far has met all of our range needs.

In terms of other EVs with awd available now, don't forget ID4, iPace (good deals on the used ones), eTron (also discounted used), Volvo XC40, and used Model X.

That said,.I have found the Leaf to handle driving in the snow to be pretty capable...but its not awd. Watch out for some of the Toyota AWD systems. If you watch the TFL videos, many are very mild AWD systems and not really able to propel the car when primary drive wheels are spinning.

ejm4 said:
We have Ford Mustang Mach e GT reserved, who know when we will be able to place an order.

I am considering that car.......what configuration did you go with?
If you order now, what is projected delivery?
I know they have been delayed due to QC Issues.

Baltneu said:
ejm4 said:
We have Ford Mustang Mach e GT reserved, who know when we will be able to place an order.

I am considering that car.......what configuration did you go with?
If you order now, what is projected delivery?
I know they have been delayed due to QC Issues.

The standard Mach e's have just started to hit dealership over the last couple of week. We placed a reservation for the GT model (358Kw) which is expected late summer 2021, so I would expect our from Christmas time to next Spring. We haven't been able to place the order yet.

Our local dealer has the standard Mach e on display and looks pretty sexy IMHO.

Baltneu said:
alozzy said:
Baltneu said:

If you buy a used 2018 you get max 150 miles, being a used car the battery might give you less.
The fact is, Nissan has not put a nickel into the Leaf in years. The 2021 is the same car as the 2020 and 2019. The car is going end of life.

Unlike American markets, Canadians (at least in Vancouver) don't have the opportunity to buy a new Leaf at a reasonable price - neither on a lease nor outright. So, importing an older LEAF from Washington is the smart buy as it saves thousands vs buying the same car in Canada...

For example, a 2018 LEAF SL in Vancouver averages about $28,000 CAD. The same car in the Seattle market averages about $18000 USD. At current exchange rate, that's $22,751 CAD - a savings of $5249! Import fees total roughly $1200 CAD (last time I checked), so net savings is roughly $4000 CAD. My 2013 SV (11 bar) is worth about $11k CAD - which happens to be exactly what I paid for it in January of 2017 when I imported it from Seattle :)

Short version: my net cost on a used 2018 LEAF SL, imported from WA, would be roughly $13k CAD after selling my current 2013 SV.

A 2020 SL-Plus sells for $55k CAD. We have a federal $5k rebate and a provincial rebate of $3k - so $47k CAD after rebates. I'm definitely not buying a new LEAF at that price...

So, for my needs, a 2018 LEAF with a 40 kWh pack would roughly double my current range and I'd be very happy with that - a $24k CAD premium for a new EV with a bigger pack isn't very enticing

alozzy said:
Baltneu said:
alozzy said:

Unlike American markets, Canadians (at least in Vancouver) don't have the opportunity to buy a new Leaf at a reasonable price - neither on a lease nor outright. So, importing an older LEAF from Washington is the smart buy as it saves thousands vs buying the same car in Canada...

For example, a 2018 LEAF SL in Vancouver averages about $28,000 CAD. The same car in the Seattle market averages about $18000 USD. At current exchange rate, that's $22,751 CAD - a savings of $5249! Import fees total roughly $1200 CAD (last time I checked), so net savings is roughly $4000 CAD. My 2013 SV (11 bar) is worth about $11k CAD - which happens to be exactly what I paid for it in January of 2017 when I imported it from Seattle :)

Short version: my net cost on a used 2018 LEAF SL, imported from WA, would be roughly $13k CAD after selling my current 2013 SV.

A 2020 SL-Plus sells for $55k CAD. We have a federal $5k rebate and a provincial rebate of $3k - so $47k CAD after rebates. I'm definitely not buying a new LEAF at that price...

So, for my needs, a 2018 LEAF with a 40 kWh pack would roughly double my current range and I'd be very happy with that - a $24k CAD premium for a new EV with a bigger pack isn't very enticing
Sounds like a plan

I suggested to my wife she could get me a Tesla Roadster for my birthday next year. I've never heard her laugh so hard or so long.

I read this morning that if you purchase a new Chevy Bolt they will pay to have a Level 2 charger and equipment installed at your home. There is a certain date you must purchase by and it only covers "standard installation."

We have gone from the commuter crowd to the semi almost fully retired lifestyle so whatever car or truck it is it has to have access to the Supercharger network. We are doing more road trips.

We are four years away from replacing the model 3 so who knows what is out there by then. Wish the Cybertruck would fit in my garage.

If we needed another commuter though I would definitely look at the Arriya. Looks nice.

webeleafowners said:
We have gone from the commuter crowd to the semi almost fully retired lifestyle so whatever car or truck it is it has to have access to the Supercharger network. We are doing more road trips.
I've given passing fancy to buying an upcoming small Tesla along with a small(er) cybertruck. I doubt I will though since the marginal improvement over my Model 3 is not enough, meaning I don't rent haulers often enough to keep one at home. I admit though, I'm looking forward to renting electric trucks and vans when needed.

A 400+ mile Tesla Model Y is also something I'll consider when it comes along, since it pretty much covers any corner case I might care to find my self in once it is outfitted with a hitch

Back