SageBrush
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Re: What is going to be your next EV?

Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:34 am

I find it amusing to read the same people who bought LEAF because it was cheap, talk about buying a newly released Ariya. As if it was going to sell for anything less than MSRP for the first 3 - 6 months
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/18: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/18: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
09/20: 54.3 Ahr; 38k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

webeleafowners
Delivery Date: 06 Oct 2015

Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:58 am

Starting to look like our next EV will be a new model X. But probably waiting until Jan to put in the order for hopefully an April delivery. We are planning on pulling a small 2800 pound dry weight trailer and now leaning away from the Cybertruck that we currently have a reservation on. The model X should do a good job of towing the trailer for our kind of RVing. Still waiting to do a test drive and that from what I gather is still a few months away as Tesla centres don’t have any yet.
2020 Model 3 Tesla. AWD with FSD. Deep metallic blue. Our daily driver.
2016 Nissan Leaf SV 30KWh Culis Red. Sold. Was my daily driver. Loved that car.
EV only Family...well except for the big diesel motorhome. :shock:

salyavin
Delivery Date: 30 Dec 2019
Leaf Number: 318726

Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:17 am

SageBrush wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:34 am
I find it amusing to read the same people who bought LEAF because it was cheap, talk about buying a newly released Ariya. As if it was going to sell for anything less than MSRP for the first 3 - 6 months
Sure but I see plenty of used 2019 LEAFs and such at used car dealers. I would not be surprised to see an Ariya there in a year or two after release. Some people turn over cars quickly.

salyavin
Delivery Date: 30 Dec 2019
Leaf Number: 318726

Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:22 am

webeleafowners wrote:
Starting to look like our next EV will be a new model X. But probably waiting until Jan to put in the order for hopefully an April delivery. We are planning on pulling a small 2800 pound dry weight trailer and now leaning away from the Cybertruck that we currently have a reservation on. The model X should do a good job of towing the trailer for our kind of RVing. Still waiting to do a test drive and that from what I gather is still a few months away as Tesla centres don’t have any yet.
If not for Covid often enthuiast gruops will at least let you look at and sit in their cars. While it sometimes happens I would not count on a test drive though.

Based on what I saw Bjorn do in his Nimber days with a trailer I figure the X will do just fine for you.

SageBrush
Forum Supporter

Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:25 pm

webeleafowners wrote:
Interesting -- the *only* Tesla I would buy for towing would be the cybertruck

What is your reasoning ?
-----

webeleafowners

Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:53 pm

SageBrush wrote:
webeleafowners wrote:

What is your reasoning ?
Well, we actually have a reservation for a cybertruck...but it’s probably overkill for us. We have been touring North America in a diesel pusher for almost 18 years. Great coach. Has served us well. The last 5 years we have been towing an electric smart car. But there have been so many camp sites that we have had to pass since we are just to big. This time we are going into all the small out of the way parks, including Vancouver island and all the little islands that can only be accessed by ferry’s. The Cybertruck would work great, but we don’t want to be a two vehicle family if we can avoid it and we don’t want our only vehicle to be a truck. Soooo, we are leaning towards the model x and selling the model 3 after I retire (again) this fall. It’s hard retiring here right now, unemployment is super low and everyone is looking for people to hire.

Anyway. Hope that makes sense. Motorhome has a pending deal on it. That was the first step. If the deal closes we’ll get serious.

SageBrush
Forum Supporter

Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:02 pm

webeleafowners wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:53 pm
SageBrush wrote:
webeleafowners wrote:

What is your reasoning ?
Well, we actually have a reservation for a cybertruck...but it’s probably overkill for us. We have been touring North America in a diesel pusher for almost 18 years. Great coach. Has served us well. The last 5 years we have been towing an electric smart car. But there have been so many camp sites that we have had to pass since we are just to big. This time we are going into all the small out of the way parks, including Vancouver island and all the little islands that can only be accessed by ferry’s. The Cybertruck would work great, but we don’t want to be a two vehicle family if we can avoid it and we don’t want our only vehicle to be a truck. Soooo, we are leaning towards the model x and selling the model 3 after I retire (again) this fall. It’s hard retiring here right now, unemployment is super low and everyone is looking for people to hire.

Anyway. Hope that makes sense. Motorhome has a pending deal on it. That was the first step. If the deal closes we’ll get serious.
I'm not so sure that the Cybertruck will feel or drive like an ICE truck, but you will be able to buy a lot more battery for the same price as a Model X. I'm strongly influenced by a fellow named 'Ohmman' over at TMC who has the 100 kWh Model X that he uses to tow one of the most efficient airdrop trailers on the market and he still occasionally has problems Supercharger jumping. Besides torque, it is not by accident that diesels pull trailers: it takes a LOT of energy.
-----

webeleafowners

Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:26 am

It does. And yes it would be nice to have the big battery. But the way we camp we seldom travel more than a couple hundred kilometers in a day. In B.C. there are so many places to camp and hike. If I travel 100 km in any direction from our little town I ‘ll have passed 5 amazing camping hiking areas.

But I hear ya. So much to consider.

SageBrush
Forum Supporter

Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:22 am

webeleafowners wrote:
It does. And yes it would be nice to have the big battery. But the way we camp we seldom travel more than a couple hundred kilometers in a day. In B.C. there are so many places to camp and hike. If I travel 100 km in any direction from our little town I ‘ll have passed 5 amazing camping hiking areas.

But I hear ya. So much to consider.
I'll be surprised if the cybertruck does not make a good little camper all by itself, either as delivered or with aftermarket options. The cybertruck may make your trailer redundant.
-----

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:29 pm

webeleafowners wrote:
Any specific reason to not the e-tron?
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red
2019 eTron Blue

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”