It is amazing how many people buy an EV and then notice

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WetEV

That it is cheaper to drive than they expected.

That it is a lot more fun to drive than they expected.

That it is just nicer because it's quieter and less vibration.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/25/opinion/electric-cars-climate-change.html

Amen. My 86 year old father just loves his 2013 SV Leaf and waxes enthusiastic about it almost every time we talk. I hope I can find something that much fun when/if I get to that age.

goldbrick said:
Amen. My 86 year old father just loves his 2013 SV Leaf and waxes enthusiastic about it almost every time we talk. I hope I can find something that much fun when/if I get to that age.
You should take your dad on a test drive of a Tesla Performance vehicle.

Triggerhappy007 said:
goldbrick said:
You should take your dad on a test drive of a Tesla Performance vehicle.

I've driven one and he will have a heart attack - ack - ack -ack :D

That is one reason we do National Drive Electric Week but even then that only attracts EV curious. Even EV curious sometimes have some very basic questions so it is good to answer them. They really don't know about the things you mention up top. Some people are confused or intimidated by DCFC so sometimes one of us will go with them to walk them through it. Some feel they have to install a charger in their house before they buy the car and are concerned about that cost. We tell them about tax incentives which were around but also I typically recommend against getting the charger before the car to make sure you like the car for one and you can get by with l1 charging at home for a little while. Then if you want faster charging (most do, I do) then get a line run and a better charger.

In my "upper middle class" neighborhood I see Tesla propagating but just this week someone bought a LEAF and talked about deals on the neighbourhood group and 3 said they would go buy one. I offered to answer questions or such. Things sure are changing fast.

We just took delivery on a Leaf and I cannot believe the lease deal. Its a great EV and really look forward to driving it for the next 2 years.

Bought our “new” 2018 Leaf SV with only 20 K on the clock. Previous owner (lease return) must have wrapped themselves in plastic prior to using it...no knicks, scratches anywhere inside or out. I do dealer deliveries part time and rarely see new cars this perfect. Live in Texas and though mostly retired, I was concerned about range (also own a 74 VW I purchased new and a 2020 Gladiator). Leaf came with both the Nissan charger and a Chargepoint unit; had electrician install two 50 amp outlets, so recharging has been simple. Learning curve has been steep, using this forum and YouTube to get the best use out of the Leaf. Thisis my first foray into the EV life; have an Endurance ordered, so this might be a permanent change. Cannot believe how little support you get from Nissan and their Dealer network. Has anyone thought of or started a “cars with coffee” event to get owners and Technicians together to reveal the Leaf’s potential?

"And then notice that the vehicle has lost half its value within a year or two". My 2011 with 38,000 and five remaining battery bars is not worth a dollar a pound. Nissan makes crap vehicles. I own a 2008 Prius and would never trade it for anything electric.
I can afford to buy gas at any price. Bought a new 2019 Chevy Colorado ZR2 and am looking at buying a 2021 Corvette.

We are a racing family and really like what the internal combustion engine does in racing. 11,000 HP Top Fuel dragsters have an intrinsic whole body shaking appeal that electric vehicles just can't compare to.

Hybridization in Formula One racing has seen the fastest track cars in history with thermal efficiencies well over 50%.

Other than the battery, 2011 leaf has been bulletproof and it still gets me from home across Kailua Kona for shopping etc. But that is its limit.

downeykp said:
"And then notice that the vehicle has lost half its value within a year or two". My 2011 with 38,000 and five remaining battery bars is not worth a dollar a pound.

<snip>

Other than the battery, 2011 leaf has been bulletproof and it still gets me from home across Kailua Kona for shopping etc. But that is its limit.

Ummm, after incentives, our Leaf has lost 17% in just shy of 2 years. Not bad at all. I'd call that a fantastic value, any way you look at it.

Depreciation heavily depends on the specifics of your situation. Early Leafs didn't do as well, no question. That doesn't apply to the newer ones in the same way though, at least not yet.

Let's not paint Gen2 Leafs with a Gen1 brush. Times have moved on, which is partly why the old ones aren't worth what they used to be.

Let's also not paint all Nissan vehicles the same. They aren't. Just about every brand has built some crap vehicles from time to time. Chevy Cobalt, anyone? How about the Pontiac Aztec? No doubt they had their fans, but not many.

The Gen2 Leaf is one of Nissan's better efforts. Let's hope the Ariya is part of a turnaround for them.

Back