What can you tell me about this 2013 from this picture?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atikovi

large.jpg

It's been a few years since I had a Leaf so I forgot how many bars are acceptable. Found this 2013 where the 8 year battery warranty expires in 2 months. I assume 6 bars is not good. I haven't checked the car yet but I assume it wouldn't qualify for a new battery? Seller asking $4000.

The capacity warranty is 5 years or 60000 miles - whichever comes first. So, unless there is a battery defect that's throwing a DTC (you can check with LEAFSpy), then it will not qualify for a new pack

Yep. Capacity warranty on 24 kWh packs is only 5 years/60K miles. Better be willing to live with a 6 capacity bar car that will keep degrading more or have $ lined up to replace the pack if not satisfied with that.

Yes I understand the capacity warranty is gone. The dealer is selling as is so I assumed there was something major wrong with it. What range can you expect with 6 bars?

atikovi said:
Yes I understand the capacity warranty is gone. The dealer is selling as is so I assumed there was something major wrong with it. What range can you expect with 6 bars?
https://web.archive.org/web/20151108034159/http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/Battery#Battery_Capacity_Behavior has values derived from the '11 Leaf service manual. It was removed in service manuals after that and I know it never came back in service manuals thru model year '15. Not sure about after that.

'13 Leaf on a full charge w/no degradation could achieve 84 miles on a full charge w/EPA test cycles: https://insideevs.com/news/317213/2013-nissan-leaf-rated-at-75-miles-but-84-miles-using-the-outgoing-2012-epa-ratings-system/. So, figure it's basically cut in half.

The dealership is selling it as-is because they expect that any buyer would try to return it. Just assume in your calculation that it needs a new battery (or a good used one) ASAP. Do NOT buy the car expecting or hoping that Nissan will replace the battery under warranty. I'll link my used Leaf buying guide here:

https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=26662&p=538030

There are some inconsistencies in the photo so I suspect it may have been taken before the car was fully booted. The GOM should not be --- with 2 SOC bars left; single circles on both power and regen sides is not normal unless battery is really cold (and 3 temperature bars is not cold enough).

$4K for a car with maybe 40-50 miles capacity MAX? I guess I'm not adventurous enough to want to pursue buying a replacement battery (which can be expensive).
Don't know your needs for the car, but for me it would be a pass.

Driver8 said:
$4K for a car with maybe 40-50 miles capacity MAX?
MAX, indeed.

Add in a winter penalty, and some capacity reserve so that some trips do not end up with a walk and a tow, and this car is a 20 mile all season car. I'm not sure what that is good for, but it is probably worth $500 to someone.

If you can find a 40 kWh battery pack, in good condition, for under $6k, then it might be worth spending up to $2k on that car.

Might be worth the gamble, as there are some excellent YouTube videos on pack swaps. If you are cautious, methodical, and confident then you could end up with a 150 mile range EV.

High bid at auction was $3700 but didn't sell. If you can find me a nice early Leaf under 80,000 miles for under $2,000 not too far away that I buy, I'll give you $500 finders fee.

atikovi said:
High bid at auction was $3700 but didn't sell. If you can find me a nice early Leaf under 80,000 miles for under $2,000 not too far away that I buy, I'll give you $500 finders fee.

That's the problem with these older LEAFs, once the battery degrades to that point, they are only worth that kind of money if the battery pack can be replaced at reasonable cost.

However, you should be able to find a 2011/2012 with more capacity bars remaining, for less than $6k, if you are patient. You might even luck out and find one on which the pack was already replaced.

One example I was able to find for you - a 2012 SL, with 9 capacity bars remaining, for $5K asking price. You could likely get that one for $4,500, maybe even less. Worth a try...

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=568844588

Definitely take a look at the SOH using LeafSpy though, as it might be ready to drop another bar...

alozzy said:
atikovi said:

That's the problem with these older LEAFs, once the battery degrades to that point, they are only worth that kind of money if the battery pack can be replaced at reasonable cost.

However, you should be able to find a 2011/2012 with more capacity bars remaining, for less than $6k, if you are patient. You might even luck out and find one on which the pack was already replaced.

One example I was able to find for you - a 2012 SL, with 9 capacity bars remaining, for $5K asking price. You could likely get that one for $4,500, maybe even less. Worth a try...

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=568844588

Definitely take a look at the SOH using LeafSpy though, as it might be ready to drop another bar...

No, not interested in that. 30 or 40 mile range per charge is fine. I want to see where people are getting $1,000 or $2,000 Leafs as one poster here claims, or that they are only worth $500 as another one does, or are those all just BS comments?

atikovi said:
No, not interested in that. 30 or 40 mile range per charge is fine. I want to see where people are getting $1,000 or $2,000 Leafs as one poster here claims, or that they are only worth $500 as another one does, or are those all just BS comments?
My 2013 LEAF has ~ 35k miles, 11 capacity bars (83% SOH), DCFC and is in very good condition.
I bought it 4 years ago for $7,000, but I'll make you a deal: I'll use it another 5 years or so, and then sell it to you with around 6 bars for $4,000.

SageBrush said:
atikovi said:
My 2013 LEAF has ~ 35k miles, 11 capacity bars (83% SOH), DCFC and is in very good condition.
I bought it 4 years ago for $7,000, but I'll make you a deal: I'll use it another 5 years or so, and then sell it to you with around 6 bars for $4,000.

That's nice but a 6 bar car is worth no more than $1000 to $2000 right NOW according to a previous post. In 5 years you'll have to pay ME to take it off your hands.

atikovi said:
SageBrush said:
atikovi said:
In 5 years you'll have to pay ME to take it off your hands.
I doubt it. It sounds to me like you won't like the idea of a bicycle any more in 5 years than you do today.

Joking aside, I find it quite reassuring (if true) that my LEAF will still be worth thousands to someone when it no longer has value to me..

---
This thread reminded me of my Honda Civic. I sold it for $3,000 when it was ~ 10 years old as part of my transition to *EV cars. I bet it still had an easy 10 years of good life in it and it traveled as fast and as far as you could want. Contrast and compare.

atikovi said:
alozzy said:
atikovi said:

You were looking to spend $4000 on a 6 bar LEAF, I found you a 9 bar one for not much more. To me, another $500 on an EV with potentially 50% more range is money well spent...

Back