Lease buyout....Is this worth it? Good value?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baltneu

My 2018 SL has 21,600 miles on it. The car is due to be turned in 10/15/21 at end of the 3 year lease. The body is pristine, tires and breaks excellent. The car has been maintained and serviced, etc. Not a scratch on the car. The car does have a few of the accessories.
I went onto the NissanFinance website and the buyout for my car is $16,350.14. I would have to pay 8.375% sales tax which is another $1,369.32 for a total of $17,719.46 plus the payoff letter said some other fees, which will probably be $100-$200.

My goal would be to buy and sell the car. I want a longer range vehicle, and this time not another Leaf. The dealer did offer to eat my remaining payments to put me in a new car. Don’t want this.

What are your thoughts on this?

See what the used market is; I don't think it is too hard to sell at the same time you pay off the car.
My guess is you are better off (if you find someone) fobbing your lease on to someone else. Keep in mind the lease return fee

Triggerhappy007 said:
That's going to be hard trying to sell an 18 Leaf for $18k+.
Yeah ... Isn't that about what 62 kWh LEAFs are going for after the full tax credit ?

-------------
OP somehow also forgot to mention how much his battery has degraded.

Baltneu said:
My goal would be to buy and sell the car. I want a longer range vehicle, and this time not another Leaf. The dealer did offer to eat my remaining payments to put me in a new car. Don’t want this.

Why not wait until the Nissan Ariya goes into production? It looks like it's going to be a very nice EV. Timing-wise, your last lease payment should be right around the Ariya release date (likely sometime in Q4 2021).

I will keep the car until lease end
No rush
I thought the Arriya does not arrive until 2022?

Yes, the model year will be 2022. That doesn't mean it will be released on Q1 of 2022. You may get lucky and time things perfectly, being able to negotiate a new deal on an Ariya, just as your current lease ends.

Baltneu said:
My 2018 SL has 21,600 miles on it. The car is due to be turned in 10/15/21 at end of the 3 year lease. The body is pristine, tires and breaks excellent. The car has been maintained and serviced, etc. Not a scratch on the car. The car does have a few of the accessories.
I went onto the NissanFinance website and the buyout for my car is $16,350.14. I would have to pay 8.375% sales tax which is another $1,369.32 for a total of $17,719.46 plus the payoff letter said some other fees, which will probably be $100-$200.

What are your thoughts on this?

1) too early to start that evaluation now due to obvious changes in government.

2) if nothing changes in the next 9 months, I have to say that is way too much money.

SageBrush said:
Triggerhappy007 said:
That's going to be hard trying to sell an 18 Leaf for $18k+.
Yeah ... Isn't that about what 62 kWh LEAFs are going for after the full tax credit ?

-------------
OP somehow also forgot to mention how much his battery has degraded.

I haven't seen anything that low on the lease front. Varies from area to area but a few with highest incentives, I am seeing $25K. Can get $21K if ok with the S. But its more than a 50% increase in range so hard to equate that as more money...

Back