A case of mistaken (12v battery) identity

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIYev

I noticed recently that the Advance Auto Parts and AutoZone websites indicate that my 2013 Leaf should have a Group 51 battery, and Group 51R batteries are labeled as not fitting. Thanks to this message board, I now know that to be incorrect. Interestingly, though, the Champion batteries at Pep Boys, and all NAPA batteries, are correctly listed as 51R.

My car had an Optima Yellow Top D51, which put added strain on the battery cables. After seeing the misinformation on auto part retailer websites, I decided to check with Optima. They too suggested a D51 instead of a D51R. Knowing that to be incorrect, I called Optima to point out the mistake. The guy put me on hold for a while, then came back and told me that, between the 2019 and 2020 editions of the Battery Council International (BCI) Lead Battery Replacement Data Book, the listed battery for a Nissan Leaf had switched from Group 51R to Group 51. He said he'd alert the necessary folks internally of the mistake.

I then contacted BCI to point out the discrepancy. They are now working with their data provider to correct the information. Of course, that information needs to trickle down to the auto parts suppliers so they can update their websites. I emailed Advance Auto Parts and AutoZone as well, so we'll see if the issue gets corrected in the meantime.

For what it's worth, I was able to get my incorrect Optima Yellow Top D51 battery swapped for a D51R after the parts store manager called a Nissan dealer to verify the correct battery type.

Hopefully this helps Leaf owners going forward! :idea:

What a difference a letter makes . . great job in both uncovering and correcting this mistake.

Just FYI (in case you hit that cable strain problem again), those battery/ground cables can be easily DIY'ed . . . I've remade all three of them in my Leaf (battery positive/negative and a long ground cable on the other side).

Are there sound engineering reasons for why the cables can't have a few inches of slack to accept slightly different terminal orientations? Why the need for "R" vs "Non-R" versions of what otherwise are identical batteries?

Nubo said:
Are there sound engineering reasons for why the cables can't have a few inches of slack to accept slightly different terminal orientations? Why the need for "R" vs "Non-R" versions of what otherwise are identical batteries?
None that I'm aware of (but then I'm not that kind of engineer).

I'm virtually certain it would work just fine to have another few inches of length in those cables.

Nubo said:

The reason is economic. Thick copper cable costs money, and cables are sold by the unit of length.

LeftieBiker said:
The reason is economic. Thick copper cable costs money, and cables are sold by the unit of length.
And yet the negative cable is a good part of a foot longer than it needs to be: it goes from the battery over to right side (facing the car) for a chassis ground reference, then from there back *past* the battery to the charger/inverter stack. Could save maybe 9 inches by having the cable go just from chassis to battery to charger/inverter stack.

Back