What does this indicator mean?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pirracas77

Hello,

I didn't find in the user manual any information.
What does this blue "ECO bar" indicate? It increases/dicreases dinamically during the driving, but no idea the reason.

nissan_leaf_50.jpg

As I understand it, the bar/ribbon indicates the amount of power being used by the drive motor. The ECO is either saying that you are in Eco Mode, or is indicating that the lower range is where you want to keep the motor power draw for best range economy. I don't use that page, so you may want to wait for a more definitive answer.

The information display section of my 2018 manual is on page 2-27 and does not contain much on the various pages beyond the battery temp gauge.

I hadn't noticed the blue bar changing sizes, I thought it was a static bar that you wanted to keep the power level within to drive economically.
Or in other words, if you never apply more power than the matching blue bar you are supposedly driving economically.

pirracas77 said:
Hello,

I didn't find in the user manual any information.
What does this blue "ECO bar" indicate? It increases/dicreases dinamically during the driving, but no idea the reason.

nissan_leaf_50.jpg

I hope this is not your normal charging pattern...

It is what replaced the trees. For an understanding of the trees... Well, I never saw much sense it in so you will need to go elsewhere for that.

DaveinOlyWA said:

It is what replaced the trees. For an understanding of the trees... Well, I never saw much sense it in so you will need to go elsewhere for that.
Been charging mine to 100% for 7 years, don't scare them. :eek:

knightmb said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Been charging mine to 100% for 7 years, don't scare them. :eek:

And why would good charging advice (not given if you hadn't noticed) be scary?

I just used that screen, and this is what it shows: it is indicating that the lower, marked range is where you want to keep the motor power draw for best energy/range economy. The power ribbon is dynamic, but the Eco hash marks are static.

The solid blue eco bar is definitely not static. It grows and shrinks all the time.

For example, at steady highway speeds it’s longer, reaching out beyond the word “Eco”. Other times it’s shy of the “c”.

I have no idea why it changes length. Would love to find out.

frontrangeleaf said:
The solid blue eco bar is definitely not static. It grows and shrinks all the time.

For example, at steady highway speeds it’s longer, reaching out beyond the word “Eco”. Other times it’s shy of the “c”.

Steady power consumption.

frontrangeleaf said:

I'm fairly sure that on my car the Eco section wasn't solid blue, but was instead white hash marks, and it didn't seem to grow or shrink during the 5 miles or so I used it. Interesting...

Yes, that seems likely. That or power consumption below a certain threshold. Pirracas77, what mode were you in: D or D Eco? That may be the difference. I was in Drive - Eco.

frontrangeleaf said:

Motor efficiency is a function of both torque and rpm.

LeftieBiker said:
frontrangeleaf said:

I'm fairly sure that on my car the Eco section wasn't solid blue, but was instead white hash marks, and it didn't seem to grow or shrink during the 5 miles or so I used it. Interesting...

Yes, that seems likely. That or power consumption below a certain threshold. Pirracas77, what mode were you in: D or D Eco? That may be the difference. I was in Drive - Eco.

Well, since it replaced the trees, I thought it worked the same but it didn't. Driving super slow with lots of regen, etc. didn't make the line grow but driving at a constant power (not constant speed) seemed to get the best results. Although I didn't try very hard; was wondering how big the line would get. It would seem it would cover the entire dial but I never saw it much farther than maybe 2-3 spaces past ECO (imagine ECO was a 5 or 6 letter word?) But driving at constant power for extended periods of time requires special circumstances that are just not all that common in my area. I was using B ECO most of the time because that is easiest mode to control power although I never tried E Pedal. Might be worth revisiting one of these days if I happen to be on a lonely road to somewhere?

DaveinOlyWA said:

Yes, it could be.

LeftieBiker said:

D + ECO

Back