2020's Finally Out

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countryleaf

I just looked at the Nissan site and they are finally showing 2020 Leaf's. There is a new color too, kind of a copper color, they call it SUNSET DRIFT CHROMAFLAIR. It looks like the price has gone up a bit. We still like our 2019 SL Plus! :)

The price increase I am not into either, I think it is some of that blind spot detection and such that you and I both have. I have an SV plus with tech package and all weather package. USBc ports is not worth the upgrade. If they had a larger capacity battery and/or active battery cooling then I'd regret not holding for a 2020. I do not think raising prices is a good idea for the leaf they will just lose more who will jump to a model 3.

salyavin said:
The price increase I am not into either, I think it is some of that blind spot detection and such that you and I both have. I have an SV plus with tech package and all weather package. USBc ports is not worth the upgrade. If they had a larger capacity battery and/or active battery cooling then I'd regret not holding for a 2020. I do not think raising prices is a good idea for the leaf they will just lose more who will jump to a model 3.

Your Tech Package doesn't include Around View, correct?

And, there are stupid mistakes under the Specs tab of https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/releases/2020-nissan-leaf-press-kit.
"2020 Nissan LEAF 40kW Specifications" TWICE - seriously?

countryleaf said:
I just looked at the Nissan site and they are finally showing 2020 Leaf's. There is a new color too, kind of a copper color, they call it SUNSET DRIFT CHROMAFLAIR. It looks like the price has gone up a bit. We still like our 2019 SL Plus! :)

Still following the trend of 2/3 of the color offerings being gray-scale. *sigh*

cwerdna said:
And, there are stupid mistakes under the Specs tab of https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/releases/2020-nissan-leaf-press-kit.

My experience of those in Nissan's marketing arm(s) is that they are pretty typical Millenials - even when not chronologically so.

cwerdna said:
I noticed two more instances on https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/releases/2020-nissan-leaf-press-kit (1st tab/page):
"3. EPA range for Nissan LEAF S and LEAF SV (40 kW) up to 149 miles. " and "2020 NISSAN LEAF 40kW SPECIFICATIONS.pdf "

Seriously?

How do we convince Nissan to produce the Performance Leaf? Even if only available in small numbers, it would mute alot of the criticism's of the car. They could only charge about 10K over the top SL+, but still would create some excitement.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/nissan/leaf/108897/nissan-nismo-leaf-rc-review

Possible upside for Leaf sales if no one else can get enough batteries? (except Tesla)

https://electrek.co/2020/01/23/mercedes-benz-cuts-eqc-electric-suv-production-target-in-half-battery-shortage-report/

I was under the impression that they stopped offering Leafs with no CHAdeMO way back in 2016...

I am fine with the leaf plus performance it is peppy enough for a hatchback, I just want thermal management.
However I am sure you say the Ariya testing done in a Leaf
https://electrek.co/2020/01/12/nissan-e-4orce-first-drive-new-dual-motor-awd-control-tech-makes-evs-quicker-and-safer/
"What we are testing isn’t an Ariya prototype. We are testing a Nissan LEAF with dual LEAF motors and inverters and a similar 62kWh battery. But the wheels are still small like a LEAF and unlike those big wheels you see on the Ariya prototype above." Maybe that would be good enough to satisfy your desire if you could get them to produce it?

Nissan does seem to have upped their 62 battery production, as the larger battery is now showing up in additional markets, and the 40 is now in even a wider set of markets.

Not sure how much of that translates to sales volumes of any measure, but it does seem positive.

Tech wise, it seems (outside of Tesla) they are very much in ball game. I think they are just rolling the dice that the battery tech is good enough until the next platform arrives in 2 years.

I did see a couple rumors that for 2021, there will be an 80KW Leaf.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Nissan does seem to have upped their 62 battery production, as the larger battery is now showing up in additional markets, and the 40 is now in even a wider set of markets.

Not sure how much of that translates to sales volumes of any measure, but it does seem positive.

Tech wise, it seems (outside of Tesla) they are very much in ball game. I think they are just rolling the dice that the battery tech is good enough until the next platform arrives in 2 years.

I did see a couple rumors that for 2021, there will be an 80KW Leaf.

You mean 80 kWh?

:lol:

Where did you hear that rumor?

2 places

1. TFL mentioned it ad hoc after talking to nissan on one of their videos.
2. a small news article showing mentioning that a new battery tech Nissan was looking to adopt has a 25-30 cell size reduction allowing a battery in the same space to go up to a bit over 80 kWh

I don't have the links at hand, but have posted them in other threads in the board here.

DougWantsALeaf said:
2 places

1. TFL mentioned it ad hoc after talking to nissan on one of their videos.
2. a small news article showing mentioning that a new battery tech Nissan was looking to adopt has a 25-30 cell size reduction allowing a battery in the same space to go up to a bit over 80 kWh

I don't have the links at hand, but have posted them in other threads in the board here.

No problem just curious.

That opens up a ton of questions, such as if they will still produce the 40, or all three. Extrapolation would give that about 300 miles of range. And then there is the question of cost, as the Plus model is already nearing TESLA territory.

They are really expanding 40 distribution globally, so no clue.

I think the battery is getting super cheap to build, so they are running with it. They are pushing the 40 all over south east asia, LATAM, eastern Europe, and the middle east. (a bit Africa too).

Cost is a big question. I wonder if they can make an 80 Leaf, whether it will sit maybe at 38-39K to start, then drop the 62 by a couple grand, and the 40 becomes the entry point. I don't know that an 80 would make 300 on EPA without some additional changes. I have run my Plus out past 240 miles on a charge with very careful freeway driving, but that only barely makes 300. I do think they need the 300 moniker to sell a price increase on the car.

What I don't have a great feel for is the impact of drag vs. motor train efficiency on overall range. In the CarWow test, the Niro hit 255 miles compared to 208 for the Leaf+ in cold weather. The battery difference in the cars is only about 3.5kWh. when you look at the EPA testing. The cars have the same drag rating and similar frontal footprint. So I think the Leaf could benefit from an eco+ mode with reduced power and more flattening of the power curve to match the Kia. Hard to tell. With that they could on a WLTP basis probably get to 300.

Still, we love our Leaf Plus. SoH at 97.2 after 8 months. Most of the drop in the first 4 months, and now pretty flat. We are in a medium cold climate of Chicago, so that helps a bit.

DougWantsALeaf said:
What I don't have a great feel for is the impact of drag vs. motor train efficiency on overall range. In the CarWow test, the Niro hit 255 miles compared to 208 for the Leaf+ in cold weather. The battery difference in the cars is only about 3.5kWh. when you look at the EPA testing. The cars have the same drag rating and similar frontal footprint. So I think the Leaf could benefit from an eco+ mode with reduced power and more flattening of the power curve to match the Kia. Hard to tell. With that they could on a WLTP basis probably get to 300.

Maybe I'm missing something but if the drag is the same, the weight is the same, and the battery are basically the same, wouldn't that point to Nissan's drive train - perhaps motor - being less efficient? Assuming that the driver drove it the same way, of course, since driving habit and speed matters a lot.

Back