Charging a 2019 SV Plus at home with a NEMA 14-50 oulet

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sako

Hi Everyone!
I leased a 2017 SV leaf for 3 years, I returned it today and leased a 2019 SV plus.
My question is about charging it at home. I have a NEMA 14-50 outlet which is connected to a 50 AMP circuit. Can I connect the leaf to this outlet without any problem? how long does it take to fully charge?
thanks

I have been using the outlet to charge my Tesla model 3.
I just realized that the charging bag doesn't have any 240 volt plug in it, just a normal 3 prong plug. Does the 240 volt plug come with the SV plus?

Any Leaf IIs with the Tech package (and all SLs) should have the dual voltage cable. You are either missing the 240 volt adapter or they swapped in the 120 volt unit and you need to get the correct one back.

My SV plus comes with tech pack, r u sure about it? I read only the SL plus comes with the dual voltage.
I guess a trip back to the dealer is on my plan tomorrow. I checked the price for the cable online, its about $1000.

And, specs tab of https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/releases/release-014945dbe939405f97533f414bc81c2d-us-2019-nissan-leaf-plus says "Portable charge cable (120V / 240V EVSE)" is standard on all (US) '19 Leaf Plus, regardless of trim level.

sako: The Nissan Leaf's dual voltage EVSE power plug is a 14-50 240v one (with a 5-15 adapter to allow 120v), so you seem to clearly have a Level 1, 120v only EVSE. I know because I bought a used Nissan dual voltage one from eBay about a year ago (for about $300, to have as a spare Level 2 mainly).

sako said:
Hi Everyone!
I leased a 2017 SV leaf for 3 years, I returned it today and leased a 2019 SV plus.
My question is about charging it at home. I have a NEMA 14-50 outlet which is connected to a 50 AMP circuit. Can I connect the leaf to this outlet without any problem? how long does it take to fully charge?
thanks

The cars Window Sticker should list the type and EVSE serial number that it came with.

When I bought my 2019 SL+ the dealer delivered it with an old used ESEV. After going around and around they ordered me a new EVSE but they were back ordered. So I negotiated that they give me an $850 check to compensate me. Then I bought one on eBay for $225. I have since bought a second one on eBay that I permanently leave connected at the barn at my vacation cabin and leave one in the car.

This seller https://www.ebay.com/usr/scionseven occasionally listed the 120/240v Nissan EVSE on eBay for around $250.

Here’s mine permanently mounted in the barn.

MHFyBinl.jpg

I have a 2019 SV plus with tech package. I have the NEMA 14-50 connector on the included charger and an adapter to take it down to a more standard wall outlet. My understanding is you should have the same thing.

LeftieBiker said:
To the original poster: have you tried gently pulling on the 120 volt plug? It may in fact be the 120 volt adapter, in place on the 240 volt plug...

Indeed! OP, this might help

2018-leaf-evse-jpg.273380

Thanks guys, as it happened sometimes in the dealership the cable was swapped . This car should come with a dual charger one as you mentioned here. I went to the dealer today and they got me a dual charger from some other car. They just kick the can down the road.
My car is being charged at the moment with the 15-40 outlet.

Related to this topic, my wife drives a Tesla and we have a 14-50 in the garage with the Tesla charging cable plugged in.

I'm looking to get a leaf plus (SV or SL) and wondering what the beet solution is where we won't be constantly unplugging and plugging different cables.

One other issue I need to sort out is that the outlet is near the rear side of her car and so the cable to the leaf would have to reach the front of the leaf in the next spot over. Either I can back the leaf into the garage to make it a little closer, or I need a way to run the cables over the Tesla to the front of the Leaf. I'm sure someone else has addressed these issues before.

Thanks for any advice.

You definitely don't want to keep plugging/unplugging something in the 14-50.

The new LEAFs come with a portable EVSE that will do 240v/30A, which is only slightly slower than the 32A portable EVSE the Tesla (*) comes with. So your wife would be able to use the LEAFs EVSE (with the Tesla J1772 adapter).

(*) unless it's an older Tesla S/X that came with a 40A portable EVSE.

Rickm71 said:
Related to this topic, my wife drives a Tesla and we have a 14-50 in the garage with the Tesla charging cable plugged in.

I'm looking to get a leaf plus (SV or SL) and wondering what the beet solution is where we won't be constantly unplugging and plugging different cables.

One other issue I need to sort out is that the outlet is near the rear side of her car and so the cable to the leaf would have to reach the front of the leaf in the next spot over. Either I can back the leaf into the garage to make it a little closer, or I need a way to run the cables over the Tesla to the front of the Leaf. I'm sure someone else has addressed these issues before.

Thanks for any advice.
If you want to leave both EVSEs in the garage and not constantly unplug them and realize you can't really charge both vehicles at the same time(unless you can limit one EVSE so the total maximum draw of both will be less than 40a) then maybe something like this would work?
https://www.amazon.com/Parkworld-Splitter-connectors-Lighted-Adatper/dp/B079JPWSZT/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=14-50+splitter&qid=1579530144&sr=8-3
Personally I made one myself but this one has nice molded ends and when you consider the cost of parts $100 isn't too bad.

jjeff said:
Rickm71 said:

Thanks for any advice.
If you want to leave both EVSEs in the garage and not constantly unplug them and realize you can't really charge both vehicles at the same time(unless you can limit one EVSE so the total maximum draw of both will be less than 40a) then maybe something like this would work?
https://www.amazon.com/Parkworld-Splitter-connectors-Lighted-Adatper/dp/B079JPWSZT/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=14-50+splitter&qid=1579530144&sr=8-3
Personally I made one myself but this one has nice molded ends and when you consider the cost of parts $100 isn't too bad.

We pull an EV behind our Motorhome and need to be able to charge our EV and plug in our Motorhome at the same time. We use the splitter you linked to. However, our on the road EVSE is a 16 amp 240 volt EVSE. This leaves plenty for the Motorhome. Especially since we charge at night. You may have to manage the loads but the splitter may be an option. The breaker protects from overcurrent.

Rickm71 said:

Thanks for any advice.
One method would be to leave the Leaf's EVSE plugged in all the time, and use the Tesla's J-1772 adapter to charge the Tesla. Granted, this would be limiting the Tesla to 30 amps (Leaf EVSE max, as I understand it),

Backing the Leaf into the garage is not much of a challenge if it has Around View.

TheLostPetrol said:
Rickm71 said:

Thanks for any advice.
One method would be to leave the Leaf's EVSE plugged in all the time, and use the Tesla's J-1772 adapter to charge the Tesla. Granted, this would be limiting the Tesla to 30 amps (Leaf EVSE max, as I understand it),

Backing the Leaf into the garage is not much of a challenge if it has Around View.
If you're charging overnight, it probably doesn't make any difference. 6 hours with Tesla's charger or 10 hours with the Nissan charger. You're still charged up in the morning. As for cable length, just swap parking spaces while charging. Another solution would be to add a second 14-50 pug on the same circuit on the other side of the garage. Just don't plug both cars in at the same time. :D

jlv said:
You definitely don't want to keep plugging/unplugging something in the 14-50.

It’s doubtful that repeated plugging/unplugging into an indoor 14-50R would cause an issue. The same receptacle is used outdoors at most campgrounds and they get plugged into 100’s of times a year. They do fail usually because of corrosion due to being outdoors exposed to the elements, rain etc.

But if were my garage with a Tesla and a Leaf I like the idea of leaving a Nissan 240/120 EVSE plugged in and use the adaptor for the Tesla. Better still I’d probably install a separate 50 amp circuit for the 2nd car.

The Nissan EVSEs are well built robust units. That’s why I bought a spare off eBay for my country vacation house. I paid $250 delivered. That’s less than 1/2 of what a 32 amp Clipper Creek would cost.

Back