2015 Leaf SV Offer but nervous

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eaglesfan83

It's my first electric vehicle but with free electricity at home and a 10-mile round trip commute, I decided to sell my BMW and jump into a Leaf. Only a few available here in Hawaii that are used and 2015 or newer. I talked to a bunch but have negotiated one down to where I think is a good deal. The info on it is below.

My concern is during the test drive today I thought I heard a small click or two when I sped up or slow down for some speed bumps. I saw the bulletin for it tonight when I joined the forum and asked him about it. He said he had it done awhile ago but has started to notice it came back recently. Does that need to be done again? Should that happen? I am not sure what to expect if I need to bring that in and how much that could cost me if it coming back indicates a more severe problem. He told me he would contact the dealer to redo tomorrow so maybe I am worrying for nothing. Otherwise, the info for the car is below. I ran the Carfax and it came back clean with 2 owners and few services done. Anything I should be on the lookout for that I just may not know? He wants to close the deal Friday but don't want to jump into something and get burned.

I have the VIN as well if that would help gain additional insight.

Price $9,000

2015 Nissan Leaf SV
White
47k miles
11 out of 12 bars.
led headlights quick
charge port
fog lights
led lights upgraded throughout,
ceramic window tint

Given your location/climate you should assume that it's closer to 10 bars than 11, but with a 10 mile commute that shouldn't be an issue. It's my understanding that the clicking axle isn't a major problem but rather is just an annoyance. I don't know how many people have had to have it addressed more than once, though; hopefully some will chime in. If the noise really bothers you, then make sure it can be permanently fixed for little or no money before buying. I assume that you made sure the A/C works. If so that means the heat pump is ok. Check and make sure the resistance heater also works, by running both the heat (with temp turned up well above ambient) and A/C at the same time, making sure you get hot, dry air from the vents. At 47k miles on an island the brakes may be getting a bit worn, and your climate may be one of the few in which a brake system flush should have been done at least once by now.

Thanks, I did check the AC and its probably the coldest I have ever felt in any car I have been in. I will have to test with the heat on as well. I asked him about it and he is going to bring it in for another fix or ask if they can replace the axles since the first time they lubed them did not work before he sells it to me. Seems like a genuine guy overall who is not trying to rush me into anything. Hopefully that should be another good sign. I am okay with 10 of 12. I plan on owning this for about 2 years before moving onto something different when my commute gets a bit longer.

Well if you only need it for two years and 10 miles round trip why not try and find an older, much cheaper Leaf? Even a 6 bar 2011 will work out just fine for you and would be half the cost.

I know you said there are only 2015s and newer but are you sure? These things lose value so quickly even used it doesn’t seem worth it for such limited use. Heck you might even be able to buy one and have it shipped to you for less money than your looking at right now. I don’t know what it would cost to ship to HI maybe 2-3K so probably not worth it then and you have to wait for shipping. I don’t know, worth a quick thought though.

If this really is your only option I think it will be more than adequate. As for the clicking sound this must be common on Nissans because I had two 350Zs that did it too. I just got used to it, never had it fixed and put over 80K miles with not one issue. So I wouldn’t even think about it unless the sound bothers you that much.

Good luck in your search.

My 2015SV is at 46K miles and 11 bars happened back in October. I have not bothered to have the clicking of the axles lubed because it does not bother me. It has been a great car for my family and should continue to be for years to come.

Back