Long trip...saw one electric car

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bouldergramp

Boulder, CO to Bainbridge Island, WA and back by different routes in our Honda Odyssey. On the highways I saw three Prius and finally one Tesla at a rest stop in the Idaho panhandle. The Tesla driver was friendly and seemed confident in doing a long trip.

There were lots of Teslas and leafs in the Seattle/Bainbridge area but not on the highways.

We own two electric cars now and no ICE or hybrids. I just rented a ICE car for a 200 mile trip. Because we were in the SF bay area there were tons of EV. It is a chicken and egg problem. which comes first? In the county where I live there are no public charging stations and I rarely see an EV. in the county where I work there are a dozen charging stations, but only Level 2. I see more EV there, but not like in the bay area.

I have never taken the EV on a road trip, but I plan on doing it by the end of summer when I have time to enjoy the experience.

When we road trip, the fact that the car is an EV (Tesla) rather than an ICE is barely a conversation topic unless we go off the highways and beaten paths. Mostly we just appreciate that we arrive at destinations a lot less fatigued than in the ICE days.

Road tripping in a Tesla is a breeze, and our time on the road is about the same as before

SageBrush said:
When we road trip, the fact that the car is an EV (Tesla) rather than an ICE is barely a conversation topic unless we go off the highways and beaten paths. Mostly we just appreciate that we arrive at destinations a lot less fatigued than in the ICE days.

Road tripping in a Tesla is a breeze, and our time on the road is about the same as before

Same here. We just returned from Santa Barbara, to Portland, to Santa Fe, and back. Thousands of miles in one of our Tesla Model 3's. Super easy trip. Superchargers are well placed and the Model 3 charges so much faster than our S that you could call the charging too fast for convenience. At charging stops, the Model 3 has become annoying that my meal isn't even over and i have to move the car. We have been getting insane charging speeds compared to our 2013 Model S.

We have been all electric household since 2012.

gene said:
SageBrush said:

Same here. We just returned from Santa Barbara, to Portland, to Santa Fe, and back. Thousands of miles in one of our Tesla Model 3's. Super easy trip. Superchargers are well placed and the Model 3 charges so much faster than our S that you could call the charging too fast for convenience. At charging stops, the Model 3 has become annoying that my meal isn't even over and i have to move the car. We have been getting insane charging speeds compared to our 2013 Model S.

We have been all electric household since 2012.
You also apparently forgot to swing by my place for a promised beer.

I had no idea that Colorado was a big oil state. Well that's what you get for selling most of it to Texans, I guess.

Did you see any Volts? They are more difficult to spot ont he Gen2 version since they look so much like the other Chevy sedans.

Calaveras said:
We own two electric cars now and no ICE or hybrids. I just rented a ICE car for a 200 mile trip. Because we were in the SF bay area there were tons of EV. It is a chicken and egg problem. which comes first? In the county where I live there are no public charging stations and I rarely see an EV. in the county where I work there are a dozen charging stations, but only Level 2. I see more EV there, but not like in the bay area.

I have never taken the EV on a road trip, but I plan on doing it by the end of summer when I have time to enjoy the experience.
Yeah, BEVs are all over the place in the Bay Area, as we have the highest regional take rate in the state with the highest state take rate. Riding BART the 10 miles from Castro Valley to W. Dublin station along the I-580 median on the fourth, I counted 17 oncoming Teslas on the freeway in that 10 minutes or so. IIRR 5 were Mod. S, 3 were Mod. X and the rest were Mod. 3s. Then, when I exited the BART station in Dublin (I was BART/biking it) there were two (Mod. 3 and S) parked close to the steps, and another Model 3 arriving as I mounted my bike, then several more as I rode over to REI (one Mod. S was probably coming from the Tesla store in clear view 1 block off my route). This ignores all the other PEVs I could/did see, but the Model 3 undoubtedly holds the crown now. It's pretty common now for me to see 3 Teslas at the same intersection at the same time, plus one or more Primes, Volts, Bolts, LEAFs and what have you.

SageBrush said:

I beg to differ. There is no way that any electric vehicle can travel "in about the same amount of time as an ICE vehicle". What is real world range in any EV if you are traveling in Arizona or any other state at 80 MPH? 250 Miles? Then your recharge is 20 mins as compared to 5 minutes for an ICE.

I am not rapping EVs I am just stating that you are not going to get anywhere as fast over long distances in an EV over an ICE vehicle.

downeykp said:
SageBrush said:

I beg to differ. There is no way that any electric vehicle can travel "in about the same amount of time as an ICE vehicle". What is real world range in any EV if you are traveling in Arizona or any other state at 80 MPH? 250 Miles? Then your recharge is 20 mins as compared to 5 minutes for an ICE.

I am not rapping EVs I am just stating that you are not going to get anywhere as fast over long distances in an EV over an ICE vehicle.
It is more than silly to dispute my experience with envelope arithmetic.
Go for a few road trips with an EV like my Tesla and then talk.

SageBrush said:
downeykp said:
SageBrush said:

It is more than silly to dispute my experience with envelope arithmetic.

Sure. Let's do Billings to Grand Forks.

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_uuid=3d03ccb0-6be8-4354-ab28-83f077c6c303

LeftieBiker said:
I beg to differ. There is no way that any electric vehicle can travel "in about the same amount of time as an ICE vehicle".

Who are you quoting? I see no such statement, certainly not those exact words.

"Road tripping in a Tesla is a breeze, and our time on the road is about the same as before"

SageBrush said:

Let us do this one.

"Going to the Sun Road" is an incredible trip. You should take it sometime... But not in a Tesla, yet.

Could not find any workable plan - this is the best attempt.

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_uuid=78d9e255-2e83-4a3f-b3a0-fdcbd06d8a70

SageBrush said:

Let us do this one.

Suppose I lIve in Denver ( I used to) and visit people in small town in Kansas.

Long stop, and need to patronize so you can charge. Best have a designated driver! I'd bet that you could do this trip much faster in an ICE.

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_uuid=14f23f7f-9ed4-4f06-9584-d40555bb4a97

SageBrush said:

Try this one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlsbad_Caverns_National_Park

Ever been to Carlsbad Caverns?

Better take something other than the Tesla.

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_uuid=9e465b13-63d2-42fa-aed4-42a03fb1faee

SageBrush said:

This sounds interesting.

https://visitnebraska.com/sandhills-journey-scenic-byway

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_uuid=e5dbee71-456d-44ca-a006-1bfad4a01419

SageBrush said:

Let's try a camping trip. How about here?

https://www.nps.gov/dino/planyourvisit/greenrivercampground.htm

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_uuid=dba7f774-d219-4101-a79c-a762a1e39f76

It's as if I and not WetEV were writing the above posts about the trips we still cannot take in a BEV, or can only do if we plan the entire trip around charging and allow for loads of extra time to do so. ;)

GRA said:
It's as if I and not WetEV were writing the above posts about the trips we still cannot take in a BEV, or can only do if we plan the entire trip around charging and allow for loads of extra time to do so. ;)

Is there some reason you can't be driving a Volt, Hyundai PHEV, Honda Clarity PHEV, or some other PHEV? What are you driving these days?

Back