jdcbomb
Posts: 233
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 12:17 pm
Delivery Date: 18 May 2015

Re: nissan connect monthly fee?

Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:35 am

In short, it seems to be up in the air. I talked to the dealer, and he said the 1st Gen LEAFs still have access due to the various issues they had in the past. It's sort of been a courtesy thing that Nissan has been kept running since then. As they now state in the website for all model years, it's for "3 years." This would be the "basic" features like climate / charge controls. It may OR may not mean they will continue the 100 pct free access for these basic features in 2021. We'll have to wait and see unless someone here has more inside knowledge. Whatever the fee for basic remote control, it better not be $11.99...incredibly too expensive for this service.
2018 SL - In Service 2019 JUN - 2020 APR 94.3 SOH
2018 SV - In Service 2019 JAN - 2020 APR 92.0 SOH
2013 SL - In Service 2013 FEB, Sold 2018 JUN (50,050 mi) - 4 Bars Lost (44,255 mi)
Location: Raleigh, NC

User avatar
OrientExpress
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:22 pm
Delivery Date: 10 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2331
Location: San Jose, Ca

Re: nissan connect monthly fee?

Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:49 am

If you have a 2018 or later LEAF all of the telematics features are available for a 3 month trial, after that most the features are still free free as well as the connectivity services. There is an FAQ on the EV connect App that describes this a bit further.

The following car telematics are subscription based after the trial:
Flashing headlights
Horn and Light on
Valet Alert
Speed Alert
Curfew Alert
Boundary Alert

These telematic services continue to be complimentary:
Lock and Unlock
Remote charging initiation
Remote climate control initiation
Car finder
Plan your Route
Reports and Activity

The cellular connect services are complimentary as well.
2018 LEAF SL
Gun Metalic
Delivery April 10 2018

Prior LEAF:
2014 LEAF SV
Ocean Blue
Delivery May 23 2014
50,000+ miles - all 12 bars - Same range as new - No warranty issues ever!

jdcbomb
Posts: 233
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 12:17 pm
Delivery Date: 18 May 2015

Re: nissan connect monthly fee?

Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:42 pm

OrientExpress wrote:If you have a 2018 or later LEAF all of the telematics features are available for a 3 month trial, after that most the features are still free free as well as the connectivity services. There is an FAQ on the EV connect App that describes this a bit further.

The following car telematics are subscription based after the trial:
Flashing headlights
Horn and Light on
Valet Alert
Speed Alert
Curfew Alert
Boundary Alert

These telematic services continue to be complimentary:
Lock and Unlock
Remote charging initiation
Remote climate control initiation
Car finder
Plan your Route
Reports and Activity

The cellular connect services are complimentary as well.
Thanks for the summary there. It seems that your list directly conflicts with what is published here at Nissan's site: https://www.nissanusa.com/connect/featu ... connect-ev

Example:
Features are only available on the 2018 & 2019 Nissan LEAF.
$11.99 PER MONTH AFTER 3 YEAR TRIAL [*]
Remote Door Lock/Unlock...

And then both conflict EACH OTHER with the screen shot from my EV app view here (Lock / Unlock expires after 6 months):

https://imgur.com/a/KUcCPqM

Hilarious?
2018 SL - In Service 2019 JUN - 2020 APR 94.3 SOH
2018 SV - In Service 2019 JAN - 2020 APR 92.0 SOH
2013 SL - In Service 2013 FEB, Sold 2018 JUN (50,050 mi) - 4 Bars Lost (44,255 mi)
Location: Raleigh, NC

User avatar
OrientExpress
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:22 pm
Delivery Date: 10 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2331
Location: San Jose, Ca

Re: nissan connect monthly fee?

Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:56 pm

jdcbomb wrote: Thanks It seems that your list directly conflicts with what is published here at Nissan's site: https://www.nissanusa.com/connect/featu ... connect-ev
Yes, that could well be, but the EV Connect business is just a couple of folks in Franklin, and since the business is a work in progress, chances are that they have not updated the page that describes the subscription offering. This is similar to the original CarWings that also had a 3 year complimentary term and ended up being open-ended without a paid subscription.

But regardless, What I listed below is what the EVConnect is offering today for vehicles that have been in operation for more than three months. My 18 LEAF is almost 11 months old and that is what it has that is still complimentary.
2018 LEAF SL
Gun Metalic
Delivery April 10 2018

Prior LEAF:
2014 LEAF SV
Ocean Blue
Delivery May 23 2014
50,000+ miles - all 12 bars - Same range as new - No warranty issues ever!

jdcbomb
Posts: 233
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 12:17 pm
Delivery Date: 18 May 2015

Re: nissan connect monthly fee?

Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:15 pm

OrientExpress wrote:
jdcbomb wrote: Thanks It seems that your list directly conflicts with what is published here at Nissan's site: https://www.nissanusa.com/connect/featu ... connect-ev
Yes, that could well be, but the EV Connect business is just a couple of folks in Franklin, and since the business is a work in progress, chances are that they have not updated the page that describes the subscription offering. This is similar to the original CarWings that also had a 3 year complimentary term and ended up being open-ended without a paid subscription.

But regardless, What I listed below is what the EVConnect is offering today for vehicles that have been in operation for more than three months. My 18 LEAF is almost 11 months old and that is what it has that is still complimentary.
Thanks for confirming that it still works. When you go into your EV app widget manager, does it actually still show an expiration date next to the Lock / Unlock widgets?
2018 SL - In Service 2019 JUN - 2020 APR 94.3 SOH
2018 SV - In Service 2019 JAN - 2020 APR 92.0 SOH
2013 SL - In Service 2013 FEB, Sold 2018 JUN (50,050 mi) - 4 Bars Lost (44,255 mi)
Location: Raleigh, NC

User avatar
OrientExpress
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:22 pm
Delivery Date: 10 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2331
Location: San Jose, Ca

Re: nissan connect monthly fee?

Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:34 pm

Yes it shows that the lock/unlock widgets expire on April 8, 2021 which is when my lease is up. So essentially they are gratis for the length of my lease.

Now the question is are they complimentary for just those that leased and for their term (which is three years) or does everyone get 3 years complimentary?
2018 LEAF SL
Gun Metalic
Delivery April 10 2018

Prior LEAF:
2014 LEAF SV
Ocean Blue
Delivery May 23 2014
50,000+ miles - all 12 bars - Same range as new - No warranty issues ever!

jdcbomb
Posts: 233
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 12:17 pm
Delivery Date: 18 May 2015

Re: nissan connect monthly fee?

Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:55 pm

Funny and confusing how yours shows an expiration 3 years after your lease start date. In comparison, mine shows the lock / unlock widgets shutting down exactly 6 months from the day I purchased mine at the dealer. One would think a purchase would have at least 3 years access...
2018 SL - In Service 2019 JUN - 2020 APR 94.3 SOH
2018 SV - In Service 2019 JAN - 2020 APR 92.0 SOH
2013 SL - In Service 2013 FEB, Sold 2018 JUN (50,050 mi) - 4 Bars Lost (44,255 mi)
Location: Raleigh, NC

mjblazin
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:52 pm
Delivery Date: 11 Mar 2015
Leaf Number: 405999
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: nissan connect monthly fee?

Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:14 pm

Has Carwings stopped providing data feeds via car’s modem on battery usage, eco trees and relative rank? The last update I can get is as of 12/31 (get feed but same 12/31) yet my Nissan Connect app shows that Nissan has my January data.
I have a 2013 and have not signed up for service other than my account log in. I only have the capacity status and charge/climate control start and stop. Those items look to be in complimentary group cited in the thread.
2013 SL Blue Ocean
Bought used, March 2015 12,764 miles
4th bar drop 56 month, 20,200 miles, AHr at 42.1
Replaced battery.
Appears fully loaded
Condo home, Using public charge except in emergency
Dallas, TX downtown, shaded non-temp controlled garage

dtam83
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:17 am
Delivery Date: 25 Jul 2018

Re: nissan connect monthly fee?

Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:41 am

Thanks for the info, I really only use the app for climate control and that seems to be free. Only thing that has an expiration is door unlock in 2021, and my premium has already expired.

User avatar
SalisburySam
Gold Member
Posts: 364
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:01 am
Delivery Date: 24 Feb 2012
Leaf Number: 018156
Location: Salisbury, NC

Re: nissan connect monthly fee?

Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:30 am

jdcbomb wrote:In short, it seems to be up in the air. I talked to the dealer, and he said the 1st Gen LEAFs still have access due to the various issues they had in the past. It's sort of been a courtesy thing that Nissan has been kept running since then. As they now state in the website for all model years, it's for "3 years." This would be the "basic" features like climate / charge controls. It may OR may not mean they will continue the 100 pct free access for these basic features in 2021. We'll have to wait and see unless someone here has more inside knowledge. Whatever the fee for basic remote control, it better not be $11.99...incredibly too expensive for this service.
A subscription fee for EVConnect (née CARWINGS) has been a topic here since the 2011’s came out; early expectations were $5/month or $50/year and considered ridiculously expensive for the nascent and unreliable service. Nissan has threatened charging for telematics since then as something always 3 years away. Then we received a letter saying the service would remain free. Now paying for the service has reared its ugly head again with some reality to it this time around. As a 2012 owner, my EVConnect, when it works, has no expiration dates for any of the offered services showing up on the app (v6.2.7) for iOS. It also doesn’t have some of the services newer models enjoy such as remote lock/unlock.

So I agree with @jdcbomb in that his dealer could be actually right (I know, a rarity) about 1st Gen LEAFs having free access. Could be because none of the services to be charged for are available on our cars, but hey, same thing, right?
Nissan 2012 LEAF SL, 13,500 miles, 9 bars, 30-mile max range

Tesla Model 3: Long Range Rear Wheel Drive | Extended AutoPilot | Full Self-Driving
Delivered: July, 2018 | 13,500 miles
Get 1000 miles free Supercharging: https://ts.la/john70942

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”