Tesla Charging Station Adapter?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaanha

So, I have a few charging stations around but one of the main stations close to me is at a local Gas Station called Sheetz. However all they have are Tesla Charging stations....is there an adaptor that I can get to adapt the plug from the Tesla charging station to work with my Leaf? All of the other charging stations are mainly on car lots which get locked at certain points in the night. I'd love to just be able to pull into my local Sheetz, start charging, get me some food and drink and wait for it to finish.

https://shop.quickchargepower.com/JDapter-Stub-Tesla-Charge-Station-Adaptor-JDPTRSTB.htm - keep in mind it will NOT work on Superchargers

Hacks that are not Tesla approved are being sold but they are expensive, you are taking a risk of damaging your car and/or the EVSE (and being charged for damages,) and Tesla can take steps to block their use.

Whew, that's pricey but if it works! Will the charging station itself say anything about being a SuperCharger station? What about the Amperage, should I look at just the 40 AMP or should I check the charging station to see the amperage of it?

Sorry for the noob questions, this is my first EV and I've literally only had it for about 4 days now...lol...I've been doing tons of research before and after, so I'm catching up as quick as possible!

Thanks for all of your help!

Kaanha said:
Will the charging station itself say anything about being a SuperCharger station? What about the Amperage, should I look at just the 40 AMP or should I check the charging station to see the amperage of it?

Tesla Supercharging stations look like this:

A-Tesla-supercharger-in-Switzerland-Shutterstock.jpg

These stations will NOT work with a non-Tesla car.

What might work with an adapter is a so-called "Destination" charger that looks like this:

section-banner--touch.jpg

Article about non-Tesla EV's using Tesla Destination chargers: https://electrek.co/2017/06/20/tesla-j1772-adapter-electric-cars-destination-chargers/

Damn, the ones at the Sheetz near my house are SuperCharge Stations then. That's a bummer. Hopefully, the local Nissan place gets their quick charger fixed soon then, else it's 3 hours of sitting there! LoL

SageBrush said:
Hacks that are not Tesla approved are being sold but they are expensive, you are taking a risk of damaging your car and/or the EVSE (and being charged for damages,) and Tesla can take steps to block their use.

I've used the Jdapter on my Bolt and both my Bolt and the Tesla destination charger are fine. Moreover the hotel where I stayed ordered a Jdapter to offer to future guests driving non-Tesla vehicles for a nominal deposit.

I've heard of no problems with the Jdapter. If you know of any, please post them.

Paul

The other aspect of using Tesla L2 Destination chargers with unapproved adapters is one of ethics: Those adapters were placed with Tesla money, meaning Tesla car owner money. People like you should understand that you are using them with at best indirect consent of the property owners, Tesla, and the Tesla car owner community.

As a Tesla owner, I don't want you blocking my access or risking damage to the EVSE. I could not care less what your opinion or personal history is of the adapter.

^^^
There's a long running thread at TMC about the "ethics" of using such adapters at https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/concerns-about-tesla-to-non-tesla-charging-adapters.56737/. I haven't followed.

But it is a fair question to ask. Tesla Models S and X can use CHAdeMO DC FCs with a $450 adapter and they can use J1772 EVSEs w/their free included J1772 adapter. But, Leafs can't use Tesla Superchargers at all and can't use Tesla wall connectors without an adapter...

cwerdna said:
But it is a fair question to ask. Tesla Models S and X can use CHAdeMO DC FCs with a $450 adapter and they can use J1772 EVSEs w/their free included J1772 adapter. But, Leafs can't use Tesla Superchargers at all and can't use Tesla wall connectors without an adapter...

Nissan or their dealership proxies have every right to limit the use of the EVSE and CHadeMo they paid to install to whomever they see fit. And not uncommonly, they do just that. GM does the same.

CHadeMo or J1772 placed with public funds should be open to the public without discrimination. That includes LEAFs, and it includes Tesla cars. Use of public funds that excludes Tesla is unfair.

The Jdapter is using without permission EVSE paid for by Tesla, and by extension Tesla owners, for Tesla use.

This all strikes me as straightforward.

SageBrush said:
cwerdna said:

Nissan or their dealership proxies have every right to limit the use of the EVSE and CHadeMo they paid to install to whomever they see fit. And not uncommonly, they do just that. GM does the same.

CHadeMo or J1772 placed with public funds should be open to the public without discrimination. That includes LEAFs, and it includes Tesla cars. Use of public funds that excludes Tesla is unfair.

The Jdapter is using without permission EVSE paid for by Tesla, and by extension Tesla owners, for Tesla use.

This all strikes me as straightforward.
It seems Nissan has helped fund infrastructure beyond just their dealers and AFAIK, they don't exclude non-Nissans from using them. Examples below:
http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/channels/us-united-states-nissan/releases/nissan-and-bmw-partner-once-again-to-expand-dc-fast-charger-access-across-the-u-s-to-benefit-ev-drivers
http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/releases/nissan-to-triple-electric-vehicle-fast-chargers-partners-with-nrg-energy-to-build-first-fast-charge-network-in-washington-d-c-area
https://www.passportnissanmd.com/blogs/1768/marlow-heights-nissan-dealer/nissan-partners-evgo-build-95-fast-charge-arc-connecting-boston-washington-d-c-electric-vehicle-infrastructure/
https://www.autoblog.com/2013/09/18/ecotality-files-for-bankruptcy-as-nissan-steps-in-with-1-25m-in/

Nissan thru NCTC has routed business to EVgo, helping support them.

Tesla wall connectors are for sale, as well: https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/vehicle-accessories/model-s_x_3-wall-connector.html?sku=1050067-00-E.html. Some of the ones installed at businesses might be paid for by the business and not supplied for free. I'm not clear how much Tesla covers of the installation cost either, if any.

Slight tangent: TonyWilliams at https://shop.quickchargepower.com/Home-Charging_c3.htm sell J-Wall, Tesla's wall connector with the Tesla connector replaced with a J1772 handle.

SageBrush said:
The other aspect of using Tesla L2 Destination chargers with unapproved adapters is one of ethics: Those adapters were placed with Tesla money, meaning Tesla car owner money. People like you should understand that you are using them with at best indirect consent of the property owners, Tesla, and the Tesla car owner community.

As a Tesla owner, I don't want you blocking my access or risking damage to the EVSE. I could not care less what your opinion or personal history is of the adapter.

Many of these are placed with Tesla money, some are purchased by the business owner. Unless Tesla is maintaining ownership and paying all the expenses to provide, install, and maintain the device, it becomes the property of the business once installed. The business is also paying for the electricity used. Unless there is a signed agreement stating otherwise, the business owner has the final say on who has use of the device.

cwerdna said:
It seems Nissan has helped fund infrastructure beyond just their dealers and AFAIK, they don't exclude non-Nissans from using them. Examples below:
http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/channels/us-united-states-nissan/releases/nissan-and-bmw-partner-once-again-to-expand-dc-fast-charger-access-across-the-u-s-to-benefit-ev-drivers
http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/releases/nissan-to-triple-electric-vehicle-fast-chargers-partners-with-nrg-energy-to-build-first-fast-charge-network-in-washington-d-c-area
https://www.passportnissanmd.com/blogs/1768/marlow-heights-nissan-dealer/nissan-partners-evgo-build-95-fast-charge-arc-connecting-boston-washington-d-c-electric-vehicle-infrastructure/
https://www.autoblog.com/2013/09/18/ecotality-files-for-bankruptcy-as-nissan-steps-in-with-1-25m-in/
As I said, if it is Nissan money they have a right to limit access.

SageBrush said:
The other aspect of using Tesla L2 Destination chargers with unapproved adapters is one of ethics: Those adapters were placed with Tesla money, meaning Tesla car owner money.

Partly with Tesla money, and partly with the location's money. The location owner would have an agreement with Tesla. What does that agreement say? Looks to me like that agreement would govern, if it says anything about who can use the stations.

If not, the property owner paid for part of the station, and would want more people to use the stations and stay at their property. I'd like to. Why would the property owner have any ethical reason to turn me away? Why would I have any ethical reason to decline?

SageBrush said:

My understanding is that they are the property owners. Once installed they are no longer Tesla property, unless Tesla specifically owns them, nor are they the property of Tesla drivers. As I mentioned, one hotel manager--who also drives a Model 3 like you--plans to buy the Jdapter just so non-Tesla EVs can plug in. He saw no moral or technical reason why not to.

I sense an attitude of Tesla entitlement here. You don't care about the opinion of others, as you clearly state, only your access to what you deem is your privilege.

You made an inferred claim that "hacks" could damage the car or the EVSE. You've failed to provide any evidence of this. Instead you have resorted to claims of entitlement. They are your EVSEs and you non-Tesla drivers keep your grubby little hands off of them.

Again, if you have evidence, provide it. Otherwise don't make unsubstantiated claims. For someone who doesn't care about the opinion of others, you have a lot of opinions of your own. ;)

Paul

SageBrush said:

Mr. SageBrush,

You make statements that could be liable towards our company, Quick Charge Power LLC, concerning our products.

Please provide, at your earliest convenience, but not later than 7 days from today, evidence or proof to substantiate or back-up your damaging claims, to wit:

1) Quick Charge Power LLC product or products could have a “risk of damaging your car”

2) Quick Charge Power LLC product or products could have a “risk of damaging the EVSE”

3) Quick Charge Power LLC product or products could cause “being charged for damages”

4) Quick Charge Power LLC product or products could cause “Tesla can take steps to block their use”

5) Quick Charge Power LLC has not conducted due diligence for “approvals” from Tesla

6) Any other such comments or statements made by you (whether written or verbal) directed at Quick Charge Power LLC that claim a lack of competance or integrity, or claim the lack of competence of integrity of its officers and assigns

Liable and slander is the act of stating in written and verbal methods, respectively, with reckless disregard of the truth or falsity of the statement in making the statement, or acting negligently in failing to ascertain whether the statement was true or false before making it.

Your can provide your information substantiating your statements in writing to:

Quick Charge Power LLC
Legal Department
1780 La Cost Meadows Drive
Suite 104
San Marcos, California USA
92078-9101

Or by phone:
+1-844-EV-PARTS
+1-844-387-2787
+1-760-798-0342

Office hours: M-F, 9-5 Pacific Time

Quick Charge Power LLC is a designer, manufacturer and seller of high quality Electric Vehicle (EV) products

Sincerely,

Tony Williams
CEO / Founder
Quick Charge Power LLC

TonyWilliams said:
SageBrush said:

Mr. SageBrush,

You make statements that could be liable towards our company, Quick Charge Power LLC, concerning our products.
I'll do one better; I'll forward your post to Tesla

SageBrush said:
TonyWilliams said:
SageBrush said:

Mr. SageBrush,

I'll do one better; I'll forward your post to Tesla

1 October 2018

Mr. SageBrush,

I want to make it clear that my post above is not a joke. You can forward my post to ANYBODY who will think will benefit your claims, however, myself and my company hold YOU responsible for your statements.

We will take all actions and perform all due diligence to settle these issues.

Again, Tesla, Inc, is not the entity making your statements... you are.

Tony Williams
CEO / Founder
Quick Charge Power LLC

1 October 2018

Mr. SageBrush,

I might suggest that you consult with legal counsel before making further statements. Quick Charge Power LLC, and myself personally, have legal counsel for these issues.

We take liable and slander seriously, because of the grave harm that they can cause. You could be liable for all costs associated with pursuing compensation for any damaging remarks that you knowingly, or UNKNOWLINGLY make.

Further, I order you to cease and desist with defamatory statements, and / or liable against our company.

Tony Williams
CEO / Founder
Quick Charge Power LLC

First, let me state what JDapter Stub™ is:

https://shop.quickchargepower.com/JDapter-Stub-Tesla-Charge-Station-Adaptor-JDPTRSTB.htm

Never be stuck staring at a perfectly good Tesla charge station while your non-Tesla car is low on electrons!!!

JDaptor Stub allows most Telsa charging stations to recharge any Electric Vehicle (EV) - see list of vehciles at the bottom

JDapter Stub will work with ALL plug-in Electric Vehicles that were originally sold in North America or Japan.

Only for cars sold in North America and Japan!

JDapter Stub does NOT work in Europe, Australia or New Zealand

JDapter Stub-40 - base model - 40 amps maximum - available in 20 and 40 feet lengths

JDapter Stub-80 - upgrade model - 80 amps maximum - available in 15 and 30 feet lengths

Make sure that you select matching options!!!

40 amp base model requires that you select a 40 amp cable length (if you want more than 1 foot of cable)

80 amp upgrade model requires that you select an 80 amp cable length (if you want more than 1 foot of cable)

Plug any modern Electric Vehicle (EV) originally sold in North American or Japan into any:

*Tesla UMC

*Tesla Mobile Connector

*Tesla HPWC

*Tesla Wall Connector

There are thousands of these throughout North America and Japan.

NOTE 1: JDapter Stub will NOT work with the Tesla Supercharger (Direct Current "DC" charging)

NOTE 2: JDapter Stub will NOT work with EVs with European Mennekes Type 2 inlets

NOTE 3: JDapter Stub will NOT work with Tesla UMC / Mobile Connector / HPWC / Wall Connector with European Mennekes Type 2 plugs

NOTE 4: JDapter Stub will NOT work with TESLA Roadster charge stations. JDapter will, however, work with Tesla Roadster using any Tesla to J1772 adaptor

NOTE 5: DO NOT EXCEED 80 AMPS with JDapter Stub-80 - It does not matter what amp setting that the charge station is set at (see chart below for MAXIMUM amps by vehicle)

NOTE 6: DO NOT EXCEED 40 AMPS with JDapter Stub-40 - It does not matter what amp setting that the charge station is set at (see chart below for MAXIMUM amps by vehicle)

NOTE 7: It is not recommended to use at over 264 volts on EVs, except the 2012-2014 Toyota RAV4 EV and 2014 and newer Mercedes B-Class ED / B250e, or any Tesla veihcile

NOTE 8: Some second generation (GEN2) Tesla charge stations may requre up to 30 seconds to begin charging your EV

The MAXIMUM AC power charge amps for these cars:

16 amps or less:

Nissan LEAF (all 2011-2012, 2013 - newer with 3.3kW charger), Chevy Volt, Chevy Spark EV, Toyota Prius Plug-In, Ford C-Max Energy, Ford Fusion Energy, ZERO motorcycle (2015 and newer with J1772), Brammo motorcycle, Smart Electric Drive until 2016, Ford C-Max Energi, Karma Fisker, Mitsubishi iMiev, Cadillac ELR, Porshe Cayenne S-E, Porsche Panamera S-E, Honda Accord Plug-In.

28 amps:

Nissan LEAF (2013 and newer at 28 amps with "6.6" charger)

30 amps:

VW eGolf, Kia Soul EV, BMW i3 and i8, Ford Focus Electric, Fiat 500e, Honda Fit EV, Fiat 500e, Smart (2017 - newer)

32 amps:

Tesla Model 3 with 220 mile EPA range

Chevrolet Bolt EV

40 amps:

Tesla Model S (2012-2015)

Mercedes B-Class ED / B250e

Toyota RAV4 EV (2012-2014)

DO NOT USE JDAPTER STUB-40 (with a 40 amp limit) WITH THE FOLLOWING VEHICLES:

48 amps:

Tesla Model 3 with 310 mile EPA range

Tesla Model S, model year 2016 and newer

Tesla Model X

70 amps:

Tesla Roadster (requires firmware update to use any charge station over 70 amps)

72 amps:

Tesla Model X and Model S (2016 and newer) with optional 72 amp charger

80 amps:

Tesla Model S with optional "twin chargers" (2012-2015)

Tesla no longer recommends connecting the HPWC "Wall Connector" (Tesla Destination charger) to 277 volts. The latest HPWC install manual for the HPWC does not list 277V as an acceptable voltage. Very few HPWCs were ever installed with 277 volts, except near a few Supercharger sites (because they only had 277/480 available).

Cars like the GM Bolt EV will just refuse to charge if the voltage is out of spec (above 264 volts)

JDapter Stub works with all Electric Vehicles (EV) sold in North America and Japan, including:

Aston Martin (all, including Rapide)

Audi (all, including A3, Q7, eTron)

Atieva (all)

BMW (all, including i3, i8, 330e, x3. x5, 40e, iDrive, 540e, 740e, xDrive 40e)

Brammo (all)

Cadillac (all, including ELR, CT6 Plug-In Hybrid)

Chevrolet (all, including Spark EV, Volt, Bolt EV)

Chrysler (all, including Pacifica Hybrid)

Farraday Future (all)

Fiat (all, including 500e)

Fisker (all, including Karma)

Ford (all, including Focus Electric, Fusion Energi, C-Max Energi)

Honda (all, including Accord Plug-In, Fit EV, Clarity EV, Clarity Hybrid Plug-In)

Hyundai (all, including Ioniq and Sonata Plug-In Hybrid)

Infiniti (all)

Jaguar (all, including iPace)

Karma (all, including Revero)

Kia (all, including Niro Plug-In Hybrid, Soul EV, Optima Plug-In Hybrid)

McLaren (all, including P1)

Mercedes (all, including B-Class ED, B250e, GLE350e, GLE550e, S550e)

Mini (all, including Cooper S-E Countryman ALL4 Plug-In Hybrid)

Mitsubishi (all, including iMiev, Outlander Hybrid Plug-In)

Nissan (all, including LEAF, eNV-2000)

Porsche (all, including Cayenne S-E Hybrid, Panamera S-E Hybrid, MissionE, 918 Spyder)

Smart (all, including Electric Drive, ED)

Tesla, (all, REQUIRES ADAPTER, including Model S, Model X, Model 3, Model Y, Roadster, Roadster II)

Toyota (all, including Prius Plug-In, Prius Prime, RAV4 EV)

Victory (all, including Empulse)

Volkswagen (all, including eGolf)

Volvo (all, including XC60-T8, S90-T8 XC90-T8)

Zero (all post 2017 with J1772 inlet)

Limited One-Year Warranty:
Item #: JDPTRSTB

Back