PDARK
Delivery Date: 25 Apr 2021

Re: Fenix Power: A new third party battery replacement?

Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:36 pm

Well I just joined the Fenix bandwagon. After two hour long charging sessions to drive 60 miles at 62 MPH on the freeway, I said goodbye to my 2011 leaf, my $150 deposit, and goodbye to Fenix Power's BS.

I didnt get a Tesla, I got a 2021 Kona EV limited for a great deal. 64 Kilowatts and it loved 80 MPH the whole way home on less than half charge. 260 range vs 35 mile range, RIP Nissan and Fenix Power.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Sun May 02, 2021 1:05 am

cwerdna wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:49 am
While digging around, I found this recent reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/leaf/comments/ ... _the_done/. Guy claimed to have supplied his '11 Leaf as a test mule and claims to have recently gotten it back. He's dreaming if he thinks he can sell his 5 bar loser '11 for $5500. Maybe he can to a sucker...
The below are posts from possibly the same guy:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/FenixPo ... 6156573490
https://www.facebook.com/groups/FenixPo ... 2106573895
https://www.facebook.com/groups/FenixPo ... 3053240467

He essentially says he loaned Fenix his car for 2 years and got less than 0 benefit. He ended up dumping his car to Carmax.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (former)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

LarryKaplan
Delivery Date: 15 Sep 2019
Leaf Number: 021236

Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:40 pm

It’s RIP for Fenix IMO. They have gone radio silent. I just got my Visa card refund on my pre-paid battery with Fenix -- $2500. A word about them: I do not think it was a scam or crooked or illegal. It was just a failure resulting from factors beyond their control, such as the pandemic, and from fundamental mistakes they made in their business model and customer relations – all of which made them look bad and which fueled the grievances of the trolls who always look for the worst in people. So I’m looking at options.

EVRides in Portland sounds like they have their act together and they get rave reviews, but the distance (I am in So CA) creates cost and logistics issues. They sell salvaged healthy batteries only, no refurbished ones. The 30 kWh at $7K-plus might be worth the extra 35 mile range, but barely, and the 40 kWh, at 10 grand, would just not make economic sense – for that much plus trading in my current car, I could go out and get a later model Leaf or a used Bolt or Kia/Hyndai.

AceHybrid Group in Orange County is a closer option for me, although they get mixed reviews. They refurbish salvaged batteries they have in stock which they install to replace your current battery (they do not refurbish your battery). Their prices range ballpark from $5500-plus for a 24 to $7500-plus for a 30, but they have nothing in stock and are back-ordered for at least 2 months – they wouldn’t even put me on a waiting list because it’s already too long.

So I guess I take the $2500 I put down and just got returned, and stash it away in savings for a while, and revisit replacing my traction battery at the end of the summer. Maybe by then there will be other options. Or maybe just get another car.

gmcjetpilot
Delivery Date: 07 Oct 2017
Leaf Number: 305601

Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:16 pm

Don't worry the price of Li-Ion batteries is going down..... HA HA HA. I recall hearing that over 3 years ago when I bought my used LEAF (already 3 yrs old) I have been trying to buy a salvaged LEAF for years. They never make the salvage yards at least any where within 1000 miles of Tennessee. LKQ never has them. I suspect when a LEAF is salvaged there is a pipe line already established and the individual can't buy them.

My 24KWh 2015 Leaf lost a second bar and has at best 80 mile range. That is fine. I estimate I have another 5 years. It is a second car anyway. So it makes no sense spending money on it. However if I could find a battery pack and for fun and learning rebuild my pack with the best individual cells that might be fun extend the life of my car 5 or more years. I have the skill to do the job from what I have researched. Also I can part out the rest of the car an might breakeven... (THAT IS MY SPECULATION, assuming the battery from salvaged LEAF is not toast or already removed from the car). It would be better to buy a used Chevy Bolt or Hundi Kona.... and sell the running LEAF with the weak battery.

The battery services like the one mentioned in Portland are great but as was said, if you don't live in Washington, Oregon, Northern California it is not practical. As far as failed battery compony... I KNEW IT I KNEW IT.... Again BATTERY PRICES ARE GOING TO GO DOWN? Nope. For fun I went to my Nissan dealer and asked for battery replacement quote.... IT WAS TOP SECRET and had to call the MOTHER SHIP..... In the end with Parts, Labor and state/county sales TAX (9.75%) it was $9K... That was a year ago... When the car was still in warranty 2019 the price was $6K. This BTW was for a 24KwH battery.... not even an upgrade. What sad #$%^&*@

EDIT PS, scratch buying a Kona Electric ($40K used) or Chevy Bolt ($25K used). I like my LEAF, it does the job for around town. For road trips I take my VW TDI Diesel and 50 MPG....

cwerdna

Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:34 am

gmcjetpilot wrote:
EDIT PS, scratch buying a Kona Electric ($40K used) or Chevy Bolt ($25K used). I like my LEAF, it does the job for around town. For road trips I take my VW TDI Diesel and 50 MPG....
$25K for a used Bolt is too high. IIRC, people had been getting new 2020 or 2021 Bolts for that much. https://electrek.co/best-electric-vehicle-prices/#Chevy has some pricing. 2022 Bolt EV and EUV have arrived at dealers so new 2020 and 2021 will likely get harder to find.

Used Bolts (e.g. https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchres ... 1&zc=00001) have actually gone up a few $K. IIRC, they used to start at around $12Kish but someone elsewhere said he'd seen them before in the $11Ks.

'19 Bolt Premier

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Stanton
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:54 am

gmcjetpilot wrote:
Don't worry the price of Li-Ion batteries is going down...HA HA HA. I recall hearing that over 3 years ago when I bought my used LEAF (already 3 yrs old). I have been trying to buy a salvaged LEAF for years. They never make the salvage yards at least any where within 1000 miles of Tennessee. LKQ never has them. I suspect when a LEAF is salvaged there is a pipe line already established and the individual can't buy them.
What do you base your "salvaged Leaf" information on? There is one coming up for auction (soon) on a Copart lot (https://www.copart.com/) in TN. I agree that (fully assembled) battery pack costs have not dropped as much as originally predicted, but at least we have >24 kWh options available. I wrote a blog about my recent upgrade experience (https://www.electricauto.org/blog/keepi ... issan-leaf).
2011 Blue Ocean SV
12v LiFePO4 battery w/Antigravity Battery Tracker
FIAMM 74100 horns/Wet Okole seat covers/Tor's low-power heater mod/Dala's CAN-bridge
Lizard Pack (Rev E) installed @51 months/41k miles
40 kWh Pack (Gen2) installed @115 months/85k miles

jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:05 am

LarryKaplan wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:40 pm
It’s RIP for Fenix IMO. They have gone radio silent. I just got my Visa card refund on my pre-paid battery with Fenix -- $2500. A word about them: I do not think it was a scam or crooked or illegal. It was just a failure resulting from factors beyond their control, such as the pandemic, and from fundamental mistakes they made in their business model and customer relations – all of which made them look bad and which fueled the grievances of the trolls who always look for the worst in people.
As I said almost a year ago, the pandemic will be a great excuse for them to blame away their failings.

They had already lost credibility here before the pandemic, having given lots of excuses on why they had nothing to show about their in-house developed modular battery back after years, all while collecting people's money. It was only then that they announced they were temporarily pivoting from their own battery pack to just shipping existing used packs sitting in someone else's warehouse to third party installers who would do the actual install work. And they couldn't even do that without more excuses and going silent over and over.

Maybe they were not a scam or crooked, but they definitely never showed anything that hinted they had the ability to deliver on their promises.
ICE free since '18 / 100K+ 100% BEV miles since '14
LEAF '13 SL (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17, sold 11/18, 34K mi, AHr 58, SOH 87%)
Tesla S 75D (3/17, 46K mi)
Tesla X 100D (12/18, 26K mi)
8.9kW Solar PV and 2x Powerwall

SageBrush
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:36 pm

Stanton wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:54 am
gmcjetpilot wrote:
Don't worry the price of Li-Ion batteries is going down...HA HA HA. I recall hearing that over 3 years ago when I bought my used LEAF (already 3 yrs old). I have been trying to buy a salvaged LEAF for years. They never make the salvage yards at least any where within 1000 miles of Tennessee. LKQ never has them. I suspect when a LEAF is salvaged there is a pipe line already established and the individual can't buy them.
What do you base your "salvaged Leaf" information on? There is one coming up for auction (soon) on a Copart lot (https://www.copart.com/) in TN. I agree that (fully assembled) battery pack costs have not dropped as much as originally predicted, but at least we have >24 kWh options available. I wrote a blog about my recent upgrade experience (https://www.electricauto.org/blog/keepi ... issan-leaf).
@gmc is projecting his frustrations over finding cheap LEAF pack replacements to the Li-x battery industry at large. This is a Nissan and LEAF issue, not a Li-x issue.

Back when @gmc bought his LEAF I tried to warn him that his presumptions about future pack replacements were irrationally optimistic but he was sure he was smarter than the average bear and had gamed the system. Now he is projecting.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/18: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/18: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
09/20: 54.3 Ahr; 38k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

cwerdna

Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:52 pm

He's not the only one to make projections about future cheap/cheaper pack replacements. Has been going on for years w/Leafs and other EVs too, including in the past few weeks or months elsewhere.

Then, some people get sticker shock (e.g. https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads ... -s.221438/ and https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads ... il.176939/).

https://fenix.systems/ still says "Installations starting in July!"

'19 Bolt Premier

SageBrush
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:31 pm

cwerdna wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:52 pm
He's not the only one to make projections
The Freudian type of projection
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/18: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/18: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
09/20: 54.3 Ahr; 38k miles
-----