Where are the 2018's?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveinOlyWA

For those who have not heard, I am carless... In reality, I have a car, just not a car I could care less about.

Guessing because the claim was handled by my insurance company, the process went a bit quicker but NMAC has been paid off, I have check in cyberhand (EFT) and there is NO LEAF IN SIGHT!!!!

WTF??? 2018 is half over and still nothing!!!

I paid well over $100 in gas this month! I am sooooo embarrassed to admit that! :shock:

Has anyone received theirs yet?

The situation doesn’t look good. My car that was supposed to arrive Jan 20, now has a new date of Feb 7. It has been in “in transit” status for weeks. No guarantees whether or not that date isn’t going to get bumped.

The dealer says that their other cars scheduled for Jan production still have not entered production yet per their system.

I was going to go back to an eGolf which was my fallback plan. It they’ve sold out of the ones with the options that I need so I’m going to have to wait it out with Nissan.

It's starting to seem like there are serious production issues with the 2018 Leaf. This does not look encouraging to anyone who is considering leasing to own, or especially, BUYING a 2018 Leaf. Nissan is going to hatch a giant smelly egg instead of an automotive hit at this rate. My lease ends at the beginning of June (and the powertrain warranty about a week before then). I'm not sure if I should be waiting for the 2019 Leaf with at least Pro Park to make up for no Around View in the SV, or if I should be selling myself once more on the Bolt...

Nissan: snatching defeat from the jaws of a solid second place.

LeftieBiker said:
It's starting to seem like there are serious production issues with the 2018 Leaf. This does not look encouraging to anyone who is considering leasing to own, or especially, BUYING a 2018 Leaf. Nissan is going to hatch a giant smelly egg instead of an automotive hit at this rate. My lease ends at the beginning of June (and the powertrain warranty about a week before then). I'm not sure if I should be waiting for the 2019 Leaf with at least Pro Park to make up for no Around View in the SV, or if I should be selling myself once more on the Bolt...

Nissan: snatching defeat from the jaws of a solid second place.

Since they are completely silent, it’s hard to tell what the issue is. It could be anything. They didn’t seem to have any issues launching in Japan. Is it a defective part made for American builds? Was a vendor late in delivery? Is it regulatory? Is it an issue at the Tennessee plant? Unfortunately we aren’t told anything.

I test drove the Bolt and the only thing that it had for it was the battery. Battery size seems like a huge factor in an EV until one realizes that seating comfort is really important in a vehicle in general. It also lacks in technology, which arguably EV’s should have in abundance. It doesn’t even have cruise control. Then I realized that range isn’t everything nor is it enough to sacrifice all else.

Comparing to the Bolt and eGolf, the Leaf edges out both for me. But after my dealer experiences (both ranked #1 and #2 in my worst dealers in my life to date) and a botched launch, I can see how Nissan is inept to the point of self defeating.

DaveinOlyWA said:
WTF??? 2018 is half over and still nothing!!!
Calendar year 2018 hasn't been going on that long. Some cars don't arrive until a certain time into the calendar year (e.g. 2012 Prius didn't appear until sometime in early 2012. 2013 Leaf wasn't available until sometime into 2013.)

http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/releases/overview-2018-nissan-leaf currently says "It is slated for deliveries in the U.S., Canada and Europe in early 2018."

http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/releases/2018-nissan-leaf-makes-north-american-debut also says early 2018.

http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/releases/u-s-production-for-all-new-2018-nissan-leaf-begins-in-tennessee-today did say "The Nissan LEAF will be available at dealerships nationwide starting next month" so I guess they're on the cusp of being late on this.

That said, I would've figured 1/23/18 would've been the date folks in strong EV markets should be able to buy/lease a Leaf, given that date was mentioned in the emails a bunch of us received.

I really wish Nissan corporate would have a more substantial presence here. As I mentioned at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=11401 long ago, GM folks used to chime in on Cruzetalk.com, for instance. Seems like Toyota (once Prius Team joined in late 2008) had more presence on Priuschat.com than Nissan does here.

I glanced at https://www.facebook.com/NissanElectric/ and didn't see any announcement as to what's up with US availability. I have no time to sift thru their replies to threads.

I test drove the Bolt and the only thing that it had for it was the battery. Battery size seems like a huge factor in an EV until one realizes that seating comfort is really important in a vehicle in general. It also lacks in technology, which arguably EV’s should have in abundance. It doesn’t even have cruise control. Then I realized that range isn’t everything nor is it enough to sacrifice all else.

I agree with most of that, but the Bolt does in fact have cruise control. It lacks adaptive cruise control. Also, it has plenty of technology, but much of it is on a par with the front seats.

cwerdna said:
I glanced at https://www.facebook.com/NissanElectric/ and didn't see any announcement as to what's up with US availability. I have no time to sift thru their replies to threads.

What's disheartening about their facebook page is that their latest post (1/29) shows a picture of the previous body style. You would think that at this point, they'd be showing the new Leaf.

Well talked to my dealer about 90 mins after my car sacrificed herself and he said the "plan" was 3 in Jan, about 25 in Feb. Well, the 3 never materialized. I signed up back pretty much day one so I should easily get one of the "slated" Feb ones but still no word.

On the brighter side (if that is possible) I have had insurance dealings before and I have to hand it to Farmer's when they advised they should be the ones to handle the claim. Despite my zero liability they still deducted the $1000 collision deductible but NMAC is paid off and they sent me a check MUCH larger than I was expecting so they somehow negotiated a lower pay off to NMAC. So I will get rental reimbursement and the deductible back either when other party pays or from proceeds of the auction, whichever comes first.

http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2018/01/insurance-leasing-and-valuation-near.html

LeftieBiker said:

I agree with most of that, but the Bolt does in fact have cruise control. It lacks adaptive cruise control. Also, it has plenty of technology, but much of it is on a par with the front seats.

Nailed that assessment! :lol:

Interesting quandary.

First the dealer screwed up my order on the paint order, even though I said "pearl white with the black roof. Make sure it's the one with the black roof, two-tone, not all white. There's is one that is all white. I don't want that one, so make sure it has the black roof. Two-tone. Yes, like the one on the site that is white with a black roof. That's the one." They were still so sure even up to last week when I stopped by in person, that they ordered the right one until I mentioned the color code as shown in their brochure, and they had ordered the wrong one. Idiots.

Anyhow fast forward, I didn't realize that they had ordered all white until about a week ago, but then I saw that they had ordered one in the color code that I wanted with a Feb delivery date. The one that I rather have was slated to arrive only 5 days after the one that I had on order. I figured, maybe I don't want the one that has been delayed that much, not because of the color, but because there might be issues and reworks which has caused it to be "in transit" for weeks overdue. Maybe it's better to order one that hasn't been built yet. But here's the kicker, it's scheduled for January production, but still isn't in production. No one knows what is going on and what the delays are and how far they are impacted. They are not communicating anything to their dealers. It's hard to make proper decisions as consumers are left in the dark.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Well talked to my dealer about 90 mins after my car sacrificed herself and he said the "plan" was 3 in Jan, about 25 in Feb. Well, the 3 never materialized. I signed up back pretty much day one so I should easily get one of the "slated" Feb ones but still no word.

On the brighter side (if that is possible) I have had insurance dealings before and I have to hand it to Farmer's when they advised they should be the ones to handle the claim. Despite my zero liability they still deducted the $1000 collision deductible but NMAC is paid off and they sent me a check MUCH larger than I was expecting so they somehow negotiated a lower pay off to NMAC. So I will get rental reimbursement and the deductible back either when other party pays or from proceeds of the auction, whichever comes first.l
Seems like you made off like a bandit considering the weird accounting they placed on it. My friend bought a used Leaf, 2013, and it was labelled as Salvage (after a accident that was no fault of his) the other motorist's insurance are not wanting to pay him anywhere close to the amount he would need to replace the car with like year, model and condition.

FWIW. I visited the Facebook Nissan Electric forum. Someone in Atlanta took delivery of their SL on the 29th. I followed their profile (like a stalker) and they have pictures of their new Leaf in their Garage. They mentioned that their car was the only Leaf on the truck.

That's a local delivery so maybe most cars for most people awaiting first delivery will be arriving next week. Which follows the new Feb 7th date of my original order.

At least there's no stop sale of them. That's promising.

DuncanCunningham said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

On the brighter side (if that is possible) I have had insurance dealings before and I have to hand it to Farmer's when they advised they should be the ones to handle the claim. Despite my zero liability they still deducted the $1000 collision deductible but NMAC is paid off and they sent me a check MUCH larger than I was expecting so they somehow negotiated a lower pay off to NMAC. So I will get rental reimbursement and the deductible back either when other party pays or from proceeds of the auction, whichever comes first.l
Seems like you made off like a bandit considering the weird accounting they placed on it. My friend bought a used Leaf, 2013, and it was labelled as Salvage (after a accident that was no fault of his) the other motorist's insurance are not wanting to pay him anywhere close to the amount he would need to replace the car with like year, model and condition.

Yeah, that is an understatement. Watch out for my next blog which will detail my TCO for the time I had the car and its looking to be a shockingly low figure. Waiting for all the insurance thing to be settled first. Not quite free but my cost per mile will be VERY low :)

Looks like the SLs are coming first, to maximize their sales. I suspect that this time around it will be the SVs that are last on the lot, because of Nissan screwing up their options.

LeftieBiker said:
Looks like the SLs are coming first, to maximize their sales. I suspect that this time around it will be the SVs that are last on the lot, because of Nissan screwing up their options.
What??? Where did you hear this?

LeftieBiker said:

Oddly enough, the Gerald Nissan photos all show S' though they list SL's. The Vins per NHTSA come up as S'. I did a CarGuru's search and it's a mixed of cars being shipped right now.

tuningin said:
LeftieBiker said:

Oddly enough, the Gerald Nissan photos all show S' though they list SL's. The Vins per NHTSA come up as S'. I did a CarGuru's search and it's a mixed of cars being shipped right now.

Prices were a bit of a giveaway. SL's don't go for $33K

DaveinOlyWA said:
tuningin said:
LeftieBiker said:

True, but it wouldn't be the first time a dealer "accidentally" posted a wrong price so I didn't trust that to make the determination.

tuningin said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
tuningin said:

True, but it wouldn't be the first time a dealer "accidentally" posted a wrong price so I didn't trust that to make the determination.

Did a vehicle search thru Nissanusa and found nothing. I guess they are holding it tight to the vest until the very moment of launch....whenever that might be.

Back