How often does the leaf charge the 12 volt battery.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For 2011, in off position it will charge the 12 V battery from the tractipn battery once every 7 days.

In on position is charging and floating all the time.

I might be wrong.

On my 2012 and 2013, it charges from the traction battery when on.
And the solar panel when off.
But the solar panel isn't enough to allow you to charge and run accessories.

camasleaf said:
For 2011, in off position it will charge the 12 V battery from the tractipn battery once every 7 days.

In on position is charging and floating all the time.

I might be wrong.

I believe that should be every 5 days (my emphasis).
The rest is accurate (more "float" than "charge" though).

My 2016 SV charges the 12V every 24 hours for about 5 minutes if there hasn't been any driving. One of the three blue lights comes on during this process. It often seems to happen a bit after midnight, but I don't know if it's triggered by time of day or just happens to be based on my driving habits.

Here's what I'm trying to do. I would like to power a small dc load from time to time and I don't want to run the battery down. Around 20 amps DC current at 12 volts. How can I enable the DC to DC converter at will. A few hours max of usage but irregularly.

Thank you.

John

webeleafowners said:
Here's what I'm trying to do. I would like to power a small dc load from time to time and I don't want to run the battery down. Around 20 amps DC current at 12 volts. How can I enable the DC to DC converter at will. A few hours max of usage but irregularly.

Thank you.

John

Put the car in Drive mode while running the load off the 12v battery. This way the DC to DC converter is active and will keep the 12v battery charged.

baustin said:
webeleafowners said:

Thank you.

John

Put the car in Drive mode while running the load off the 12v battery. This way the DC to DC converter is active and will keep the 12v battery charged.

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping there was a way to not have It in the drive mode. I would think there would be more parasitic load that way.

My LEAF is also an Emergency response vehicle.
Activating your drive mode would be the only option as your 12 volt battery is only 45a/hr battery.
At times I need to leave my car's emergency lighting on I am able to put it into assy mode, and lock up my car with the remote. With no fear of someone stealing my car.
I have replaced the stock battery with an Optima yellow top. And have had no problem running my equipment for six hours.
Without the remote, no one is able to put the car into run mode. So the car is still imobilized.

Lance96816 said:
I have replaced the stock battery with an Optima yellow top. And have had no problem running my equipment for six hours.
Without the remote, no one is able to put the car into run mode. So the car is still imobilized.

You're a prime candidate for a LiFePO4 12v replacement. I would even imagine your vehicle maintenance is subsidized?
At any rate, you could run accessories for days without an issue (Lithium batteries can discharge far beyond lead-acid).

Never thought of that. The Optima was an equipment only battery in the dual battery setup in my Jeep.
Yes, I get razzed a lot when I respond. I used to own a 1980 Commuta-Car. And learn a lot about consensus driving.
When I put the LEAF into service, I had a idea what I was in for.
Driving it for a while, I knew what needed to be done. Today's equipment is mostly LED, Strobes, and Electronics.
Gone are the Halogens and incandescent lamps.
At 80% charge, I maxed out at 103 miles with the A/C and in ECO mode.
At 100% charge, I maxed out at 114 miles.
Why only 11 extra miles at 100%?
Don't know. So I leave it at 80%.
Thanks for the information! Will definitely look into it!

Okay... Gone are the Halogen and incandescent rotating and flashing emergency lights. It's now Strobes and LEDs.
Even the Flood/Spot/Search lights after I find one that fits and looks good on a LEAF.
The Siren/Air horn/PA needs to be considered also. But it would have to be without reducing the clarity and level or audibility.

Stanton...
Please tell me more about your setup.
The ones I looked at were $500+.
They also required a BMS, which I didn't see any DC-DC available.
VERY INTERESTED! THANKS!

I realize this is an old post but the answer seemed less than conclusive for my cars (2015/16)
I found this in the manual for the 2015.
4%20min%20every%2024%20hours.jpg

Back