Lease Return - How to delete all personal information?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brg2290

Hi.
Tuesday is the termination date for my 2012 lease, and I have an appointment to return it to the dealer that day. I have had the inspection, and removed all personal belongings from the car. I did see the screen in Carwings where I can delete my Name and Password. I'm wondering what else I need to do to "scrub" or "sanitize" the car to purge history.

I could not see how to remove incoming and outgoing phone call log, nor do I see how to de-program HomeLink, if that is possible. Is there a checklist somewhere on MNL or in the owner's manual? BTW, I did short search several terms on MNL, and also looked in the index of the owner's manual without much success. If this question has been asked ad infinitum, apologies in advance.

Thanks, Gary

Homelink delete is in the manual, basically, you hold the two outside buttons for like, 40 seconds until it beeps and flashes.

Delete all connected phones, and phonebooks, not too hard to do.

Reset all saved charging stations, including home station.

Scroll through all the setting and menu screens, some have reset to default buttons.

smkettner said:
Call the dealer. I am thinking they do a reboot on all your programming and information as part of normal procedures.
If they send the car off to auction it pretty much goes as is. I would delete everything before turning it in. Don't forget to go into the nav settings and delete all previous destinations if that's important to you.

Yep, my used one came with the old owners address and a few other tidbits in it. Don't rely on the dealer to do anything.

Moof said:
Yep, my used one came with the old owners address and a few other tidbits in it. Don't rely on the dealer to do anything.
LEAFguy said:
If they send the car off to auction it pretty much goes as is. I would delete everything before turning it in. Don't forget to go into the nav settings and delete all previous destinations if that's important to you.
Yup, this is exactly why I'll attempt to purge my personal information before I return it tomorrow. DNA, thanks for the tips...I was aware of some of those steps, but not the homelink.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Homelink delete is in the manual, basically, you hold the two outside buttons for like, 40 seconds until it beeps and flashes.

Delete all connected phones, and phonebooks, not too hard to do.

Reset all saved charging stations, including home station.

Scroll through all the setting and menu screens, some have reset to default buttons.

Is there really no simpler way to reset the data? Go through every menu manually to remove all the saved items? Wish they had a "reset to factory" button.

I can't check this right at the moment, but if you're transitioning to a newer LEAF rather than just turning in your current one, you might want to try pulling out a copy of all your tediously-entered destinations to be loaded into the new car before deleting them. I don't remember the details, but I do vaguely remember coming across some procedure (in the manual?) for exporting a LEAF's current list of destinations.

I just got a used 2013 Leaf yesterday and this worked for me:
1. Turn on Nav screen by pushing the Car Start button (No need to step on brakes).
2. Once screen has loaded, press these buttons in sequence:
Map/Voice button 3 times, then
Radio power button 2 times, then
Map/Voice button once.
3. Go to Confirmation/Adj and choose "User Data Initialisation"

I got the procedure from Youtube: https://youtu.be/yW-AMNqzQqU

Back