Extended Warranty

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catebuckalew

Sorry I am sure this has been covered but the search function doesn't produce any pertinent posts on the topic.

I have a 2018 Leaf and my B2B warranty is expiring. I am getting lots of solicitations for extended warranties - worth it?

TL/DR: In general, extended warranties usually aren't worth it. In the case of EVs, they definitely aren't worth it.

As I said before, the LEAF, like most good EVs, is a near-zero maintenance vehicle. The only costs you'll likely incur on the car are maintenance items (tires, the 12V battery, and wipers). Many here have gone 6+ years with no other expenses on the car. The LEAF has very little that can/will require actual service that would even be covered by an extended warranty. The number of real problems people have is very low.

(the one car I considered getting an extended warranty on was my Model S. That's a car that might have long term service costs. But ultimately I decided to self-insure and skip the warranty. I'm still at $0 in service costs for all three of the EVs I've owned)

I thought the same thing.

However in the last 3-months my 2019 Leaf has had to have my radio unit replaced ($2,000+) repair covered under warranty. Also the front passenger seat sensor went out so the seat belt light was constantly illuminated even if nobody was in the front seat. This was another $500+ repair covered under warranty. Back in early 2020 the rear backup camera stopped functioning (Screen would be pink when putting the car in reverse) and this also had to be replaced. My 2015 Leaf was basically bullet proof with zero issues under warranty. Been having second thoughts about purchasing the extended warranty as basically insurance against something stupid breaking with this car.

catebuckalew said:
Sorry I am sure this has been covered but the search function doesn't produce any pertinent posts on the topic.

I have a 2018 Leaf and my B2B warranty is expiring. I am getting lots of solicitations for extended warranties - worth it?

jlv makes a good point. But it's a personal decision, of course. How long are you planning on keeping the car? If you feel that the expense of an extended warranty, which is high, by the way, gives you peace of mind, then go for it. The main thing to worry about is the battery, and you still have a few years warranty left on it.

I just purchased a new Leaf, and, of course, they tried to convince me to purchase an extended warranty which would have cost me an extra $3600. That's the cost of a nice vacation. Besides, I might trade it in or sell it within the 3 years warranty it comes with.

ElectriCute said:
I just purchased a new Leaf, and, of course, they tried to convince me to purchase an extended warranty which would have cost me an extra $3600. That's the cost of a nice vacation. Besides, I might trade it in or sell it within the 3 years warranty it comes with.
I have never seen an extended warranty price that high...including the one I purchased (over 10 years ago) for my Gen1 Leaf. Full disclosure: I only used it once (for a window problem). That's a "good" for the reliability of the Gen1 Leaf...and a reminder of why (in general) I don't purchase extended warranties (the Leaf was very new tech back then).

Stanton said:
ElectriCute said:
I have never seen an extended warranty price that high...including the one I purchased (over 10 years ago) for my Gen1 Leaf. Full disclosure: I only used it once (for a window problem). That's a "good" for the reliability of the Gen1 Leaf...and a reminder of why (in general) I don't purchase extended warranties (the Leaf was very new tech back then).

That price would have extended my bumper to bumper warranty to 8 years, 100k miles. For an EV, I honestly don't think that is necessary. We have to keep one thing in mind, extended warranties make a lot of money for the dealers.

Back