Comparing 2011 (62 kWh) Leaf to 2021 Volvo XC 40 (75 kWh)Charge, because why not

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marktm said:
Being new to the newer "car play" type advances - I've found my Apple Car Play to have surprisingly few functions compared to the iPhone itself - and the few that are available are still easier and more functional on the iphone itself. Plus I find the Sirius XM features essentially useless (compared to similar iPhone features).

I was hoping there would be a similar satellite view of maps using the car play - that would be superior to the standard Nissan maps. These would not have been deal breakers - simply disappointments.
For CarPlay, Apple only allows a limited set of categories of allowed apps and has specific rules. See https://developer.apple.com/carplay/documentation/CarPlay-App-Programming-Guide.pdf pages 4 thru 8 of the PDF.

Sure there are satellite views on the CarPlay screen via Google Maps.

jbsocdelica said:
One more gripe to my growing list: sometimes the charging cable because of mechanical misalignment / specs on car side, gets locked in and won't release.
Still enjoying it, but lots of caveats for the first gen machine. 2011 Leaf is looking better by the day!

(In picture is what the 'red' charge light of death looks like). Good luck getting the cable out then
Out of curiosity, does that happen on J1772 or SAE Combo/CCS or both?

I've railed against US-market vehicles that have unnecessary J1772 charging locks which give the driver no choice and put unnecessary cycles on their mechanism + in some cases, stay attached for a parasite or no reason after charging is done. Unfortunately, we're seeing more and more models w/this brain-dead behavior. :(

Due to the same automaker/parent company making the same #$%#$% mistakes over and over across multiple models, the #$%#$% behavior may soon become the predominant case in the US by model. :(

Volvo PHEVs at my work also had such #$%#$% charging locks. However, due to COVID, almost nobody is showing up to the office so fortunately, there's no plug contention problem for now and probably won't be until occupancy picks up again, whenever that is.

My daughter's Hyundai Ionic PHEV has such a lock and we haven't found a way around the lock. My peeve with the lock is even after the car has fully charged the lock does not release, even if the car is in the garage and is unlocked. Once it starts charging you have to push the unlock button to ever get the j1772 out! To me this is not a nice system, if the car is done charging it should unlock IMO so if say you were in a public charging station and your car completed charging someone else could unplug you and use the cord, I guess the reason it would be nice to stay locked could be two-fold, someone unplugs your car prematurely from a public charging station or two, you have your portable EVSE plugged into an outlet accessible to others and someone unplugs it from the outlet and then your car and steals it.

@cwerdna

It gets locked in on both Level II and IIII (had it happen on home charger too)

@jjeff

Yes, I see your point about anti-theft, that could also be accomplished by manual release. Imagine you're in fire country and have to flee (or any other reason for quick exit), you're precariously pinned in this case.

Aloha!

Summary of latest Volvo XC Recharge gripes

======================================

1 Did not start other day computer glitch, took 2 hours then did. Taking to dealer next week

2 Screen glitches, replaced, took two weeks, loaner car provided

3 Charger cable not always releasing at both level II and III stations

4 Poor screen interface / continuing

5 intermittent loud turn signal noise through speaker;

6 Autostops on steepish hills in reverse with horn coming on as warning

7 Poor ergonomics for side mirror control, not easy like 2011 Leaf

8 Stereo turns on automatically when entering car

9 Impossible so far to use second bluetooth device (compare this to 4 fairly easy ones on my Leaf)

10 In short; Car feels both glitchy and heavy handed in taking away user control

Aloha

How do you find the overall efficiency. I like the way the Volvo looks, but to spend that much on a car with 180 usable miles, feels like a hard sell. If it was ~250 it would be less of an issue.

DougWantsALeaf said:
How do you find the overall efficiency. I like the way the Volvo looks, but to spend that much on a car with 180 usable miles, feels like a hard sell. If it was ~250 it would be less of an issue.

It's in the numbers (range/energy), & remember 33.7 kWh per gal for MPGe);
What do you want to know about the XC40 Recharge pure electric?

The battery has a nominal capacity of 78 kWh. A fully-charged battery gives you a projected range of up to 418km/208 miles* in mixed driving before you need to recharge. But your real-world range is also affected by your driving style and other circumstances, such as outdoor temperature, weather, wind, topography and roads. Other factors that impact range include how much electricity you use for car functions such as heating and cooling of the car. One way to improve range is to pre-condition your car during charging so it’s already at a comfortable temperature when you go. You can also add a heat pump that saves valuable energy.

On a daily basis, you will probably fill up the battery whenever the car is parked where charging is possible – be it at home, at work or in the city. So range should not be an issue for everyday driving, provided that you have good access to charging.

https://www.volvocars.com/us/v/cars/xc40-electric

On a daily basis, you will probably fill up the battery whenever the car is parked where charging is possible – be it at home, at work or in the city. So range should not be an issue for everyday driving, provided that you have good access to charging.

Just like the Gen I Leaf! Anyone see the "Grounded for Life" episodes with the Citicar? I'm picturing Volvo XC40 Charge owners knocking on doors, carrying long extension cords, asking if they can please plug in...

Actually for all my gripes, we seem to be doing quite well in terms of driving. Mainly on highway with perhaps 25% city, and we're getting around 230 miles per 90% charge (we set maximum at that).... Once in a while we QC, but it has been a pleasure minus my kvetching.... Typically I hit 80 mph for spates of time, but in city, usual stop and go....

So, if you want a Tesla (or other) alternative and your needs are similar to what a Nissan extended puts out, this is a really nice aesthetic choice from my perspective.

Also, the one pedal driving (mostly) seems quite good. As I get to read the miserable dash for what it reports, I'll forward that. Wonder if someone will create a leafspy like app for the car?

Oh and we bought it with the additional heat pump / winter package, tow bar, racks..... so a slightly different model than stock. And the rebates (Costco, California, Fed, Local electrical, free Chargepoint charger) dropped the price considerably.... so it didn't feel that much than a Kona or Niro but with a far nicer felt aesthetic.

Aloha!

Or better yet, none at all, as 90-100F is really fine with this gen of batteries. No need to waste energy cooling the batteries artificially. It's Hawaii...longest drive needed is maybe what 150 miles in the big Island, and that is to go around?

DougWantsALeaf said:
Or better yet, none at all, as 90-100F is really fine with this gen of batteries. No need to waste energy cooling the batteries artificially. It's Hawaii...longest drive needed is maybe what 150 miles in the big Island, and that is to go around?

Using power to drive the car warms the battery. Charging warms the battery. The ambient temperatures then prevent the battery from cooling off overnight. Your scenario only works if the car stays parked.

Hey Leafers;

Here's the latest with the XC40 Recharge saga.

1) Status: XC40 Recharge is back in shop, would not get out of drive for about 1 hour. "Propulsion System" Screen warning image below.

2) Plan: They are going to remove the battery to replace a sensor according to service dept. manager. Probably will be there for at least 2 weeks.

3) Comparisons: ICE Apples to Electric Apples This time, they put us in a lower trim XC40. I'm not enjoying it so much.

a) too light weight and feels jeepy on the road
b) engine is always turning off and on at intersections, which makes it kind of loud on restart and messes with a/c
c) reverse camera seems glitchy

4) Volvo line: Because of the weight, If I had to choose between the 40 and 60 in ICE versions, it would be the 60 even though that drives more trucky and the cockpit is too cramped. The extra weight smooths it out...

5) Overall: Volvo has some things to work out for sure.

6) Comparing 11 to XC Recharge: Driving my 2011 in between drives and I marvel at its simplicity and overall reliability. Obviously, even with my seat mods, the seating can't compare to the Volvo. So I'll keep reading here to see if anyone has gone past the two mods of raising the seat, and adding bushings to the inner seat. In short, love a high quality seat in there that still works with air bag requirements... (well, you might know the expression, spit in one hand and wish in the other...) cf: https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=9051

Aloha!

Attachments

• volvo error.jpg
    volvo error.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 21
Almost 1 year later

I drive both cars and I prefer each car for different reasons, here are the Cliff notes.

Nissan Leaf 2011 with 62 kwh battery v. XC40 Recharge
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/C stays on when I leave the car with my key in pocket, Volvo does not, but you can be clever to make it work, it's just more of a hassle. In fact, that's the theme of the Volvo, almost everything is more of a hassle, the radio, the temperature controls, turning off the auto braking when reversing, the side mirror controls, etc.

I like the Leaf drive with my larger wheels and I put in new struts / shocks in this one right after battery swap (see my notes on how large tires you can put in, makes a big difference).

I did modify the seating, see my other posts, both with the seat itself and with higher spacer bolts.

Slower to charge (3kw, but still quite useful at about 8 -10 miles per hour)

Occasional glitches with CAN battery translate system... but work arounds have been doing the trick.

This car is a keeper, and it's pretty amazing for 2011 technology, how much I enjoy it over a decade later!

Volvo XC40 2021
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Over all Comfort, heated seats, steering wheel, really nice moon roof, good ride, good charging -- about 23 miles per hour at Level II with Chargepoint Charger).

Bummer with constantly having to bring it into the shop, at least Volvo has good loaner car policy (for now). Plan on selling after 3 years to avoid repair nightmares.

This car is not a keeper.

I enjoyed this thread, but it also makes me a little disappointed. I would most likely have put either a 40 or 62 kWh battery in my 2011 SL and still be driving it if it had not met its untimely demise. It had features that I missed with the 2015 and I still miss the adjustable headlights even though the 2019 SL+ has most of the other features that I missed with the 2015.

Regarding the charging cable lock issue on the Volvo: It was not uncommon for me to find latches on SAE combination plugs broken when I was using DCQC stations frequently during the last year or so with the 2015. The CHAdeMO plug is very robust compared to the SAE connector.

Comments about problems with CCS failing to release when charging is finished make my identical experience with a Bolt (EA charger) less of a one-off. I'd assumed it was a software issue. Has anyone noticed that this is more likely with one company's chargers than another's, or is this general?

GRA said:
Comments about problems with CCS failing to release when charging is finished make my identical experience with a Bolt (EA charger) less of a one-off. I'd assumed it was a software issue. Has anyone noticed that this is more likely with one company's chargers than another's, or is this general?
I've charged on EA CCS numerous times (mostly when free) w/my now former Bolt across 3 out of 4 of their vendors (BTC Power the most, followed by Signet ("v2") and ABB the least). I've never ever had the CCS failing to release when charging is stopped or done.

I never counted how many sessions, but likely several dozen times, if not more.

I've never physically seen EA's Efacec chargers.

I've also used other vendors (all 3 vendors/makes that ChargePoint has) + EVgo's BTC Power Fatboy + two other BTC Power non-Fatboy (can dig up some example links later) + free Caltrans chargers that are all BTC Power Fatboy + probably a few others. I've also never had the fail to release CCS. I used to do a ton on EVgo BTC Power Fatboy when DrivetheARC was free and still working.

I've only DC FCed my Niro EV a few times (maybe under 8 sessions total): EA ABB, ChargePoint CPE250, BTC Fatboy (free chargers) and also never had CCS release problems.

In virtually every case, if the DC FC didn't auto-stop and thus auto-unlock, I almost always will stop via the charger or its app first before attempting to unplug. I've posted at PSA at https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/psa-on-ccs1-sae-combo-dc-chargers-best-to-stop-the-charger-before-attempting-to-unplug.39067/ before.

About the only times I didn't were when I was experimenting.
GerryAZ said:
It was not uncommon for me to find latches on SAE combination plugs broken when I was using DCQC stations frequently during the last year
Yes. Have seen this a lot over the years. Have reported them in almost every case to the provider. At certain sites that I do/did frequent, they'd be repaired and it'd happen again. Seen this on EA and EVgo.

Back