Why would anyone buy a nissan leaf right now???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that Android auto can do games and movies, I got the small taste of what it would be like to have the Tesla infotainment waiting to pick up my daughter from band. It was nicer than watching on my phone I have to admit. Not sure it's worth the premium though.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kug8Vd4NV7N9mZz1hB0JYmDUFrZPy19g/view?usp=drivesdk

There’s a free app I have used on my iPhone a few times when buying an EV to estimate my tax liability. The app is called TaxCaster which is a product of TurboTax

I actually use it several times a year to set up my withholding so I don’t go over what I own to trigger a penalty. We are retired and all our income is either Social security payments, retirement annuity payments, IRA required minimum distributions. RMD,, and some controllable minimal stock transactions.

Last year was an anomaly. My 2019 Leaf was totaled in November and I had an unplanned purchase of a 2020 Leaf replacement in December. So I had a refund of $6800. Otherwise I would have owed $700 which wouldn’t have triggered a penalty.

Had a good laugh at this one: 2013 with 27 miles range for $10k (picture 12). Same site lists another with 40 miles range and 13k fewer miles for $5k. I guess you at least know the battery wasn't reset.
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=587239530&allListingType=all-cars&makeCodeList=NISSAN&modelCodeList=LEAF&city=San%20Diego&state=CA&zip=92101&location=&searchRadius=50&isNewSearch=false&marketExtension=include&showAccelerateBanner=false&sortBy=relevance&numRecords=25&dma=&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fall-cars%2Fnissan%2Fleaf%2Fsan-diego-ca-92101%3Fdma%3D%26searchRadius%3D50%26isNewSearch%3Dfalse%26marketExtension%3Dinclude%26showAccelerateBanner%3Dfalse%26sortBy%3Drelevance%26numRecords%3D25&clickType=listing

Here is an interesting pic....any chance this is the Tesla Beta program actually up and running in the US already?

https://mobile.twitter.com/yourmansbarber/status/1434960221726777348/photo/1

Likely it's garbage, but fun to speculate.

Leaf still selling well in the UK.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/cleantechnica.com/2021/09/06/august-uk-plugin-ev-hits-18-3-up-almost-2x-year-on-year/amp/

solartim said:
Had a good laugh at this one: 2013 with 27 miles range for $10k (picture 12). Same site lists another with 40 miles range and 13k fewer miles for $5k. I guess you at least know the battery wasn't reset.
The prices sound silly to me too, but I think a kernel of truth is in there: a reliable, comfortable, in good condition car that fulfills the role of urban get around vehicle has substantial value. I'd say $4k but it may be more because that slice of car buying public values reliability and for all its flaws, a low mileage LEAF is usually a reliable car. Moreover, a person with work place charging can take a worn out battery LEAF and do pretty darn well.

It's a niche vehicle, but a bigger niche than we might give credit.

The prices sound silly to me too, but I think a kernel of truth is in there: a reliable, comfortable, in good condition car that fulfills the role of urban get around vehicle has substantial value. I'd say $4k but it may be more because that slice of car buying public values reliability and for all its flaws, a low mileage LEAF is usually a reliable car. Moreover, a person with work place charging can take a worn out battery LEAF and do pretty darn well.

As I've said before, these low range Leafs are a kind of "Super NEV." Within a single town or city they are very good transportation.

"NEV" = Neighborhood Electric Vehicle. These were tried in the US in the Nineties and Aughts, but the 28MPH speed limit imposed on them killed the idea - along with the poor quality of many of them.

SageBrush said:
solartim said:

My ex despite living in a household with income well over $100k shares a 2009 Toyota between her and her husband. But it works (sort of) as both work at hospital 6 miles away. In Summer, she bikes it as the trail a few blocks from her house takes her to a block from the hospital. So it would work for them and they probably aren't an edge case.

As far as why they have one car? Wrecked two (not her) within 3 years so been one car going on two years. I am quite frankly shocked its gone on this long but apparently they aren't looking at anything under $20 K. The last car they wrecked was a Lexus.

Indy Leaf Plus Uber driver is back racking up miles. 130K and counting. Range still looks good on the GOM.

https://www.reddit.com/r/leaf/comments/pjvfro/2019_leaf_plus_uber_driver_now_above_130k_miles/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

DougWantsALeaf said:
Indy Leaf Plus Uber driver is back racking up miles. 130K and counting. Range still looks good on the GOM.

https://www.reddit.com/r/leaf/comments/pjvfro/2019_leaf_plus_uber_driver_now_above_130k_miles/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Only shows that piling on the miles fast is something the LEAF thrives on. We have a 24 KWHer here up to 191,000 miles with 11 bars. If I would have said that one would hit 200,000 miles with 11 bars 6 years ago, I would have been laughed off this site.

But 6 years is a LOT different than 2 years. Waaaay off the curve.

cwerdna said:
https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/denver-auto-show.40695/ reports little test drive interest for Leaf vs. some of the other EVs.

LEAF is a known item. Test drives at Nissan Dealerships for years.

Other EVs are new, few have ever even seen one.

Honestly that is why we bought a Leaf, we could go to a dealers, sit in it and drive it around to get the feel of it. And then knowing the dealer was there if something went wrong. And I am not one to go to a dealer unless absolutely necessary. So I can see how for a lot of people, not having the vehicle available to test drive would just plain rule it out. It was that way for us with the Volt and then Bolt, no dealers had them on the lot for us to drive. They did call and say if they had one in we could look at but not drive because they only had it because a customer purchased it. But then we ended purchasing a Model 3, but it was used and from a friend of ours who was purchasing a new model Y.

Leaf a best buy in Brazil

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.marketscreener.com/amp/quote/stock/NISSAN-MOTOR-CO-LTD-6492477/news/Nissan-Motor-LEAF-named-best-buy-among-electric-vehicles-in-Brazil-36471981/

Buying our Leaf+ was easy. We did go to a few dealers, but stuck with one of 2 in the Denver area that has shown long-term interest in supporting them.

We went to one dealer who couldn't have cared less if we bought one. Quite obvious. So we didn't - from them.

Good experience at Boulder Nissan FWIW.

Had a tesla model 3 on order as a car for me with my current daily, a higher mileage Ford Escape, going to the teenage driver usage. Nissan dropped their prices in August, and I got the VIN from Tesla, watched The third car double my insurance, and learned when daughter is fully licensed it would double again. Suddenly in NJ the Leaf plus became kind of a no brainer for my situation. Very happy with the decision. I'll call it 75% of the car at 50% the price. Price drop on the Plus was $5000, Nissan doing $3000 cash back, NJ giving $5000 at point of sale plus no sales tax, and I'll get $7500 from the Fed this April. Something like $24000 net with tags and all vs $50 k for the Tesla. The 2022 plus SV is solid. The value on the SL plus is even better, only $1k more with leather seats, but others in NJ figured this out before me, and I couldn't find one.

Very happy, but desperately looking to disable the VSP, the sound is way too loud and distracting, Waaayyy louder than any modern ICE vehicle. Also, going to check with the dealer and dive in this forum to understand why CarPlay plays most apps crystal clear including waze, but static on the phone interface, and google maps. Waze clear, google maps static. Also audio transition from CarPlay to Sirius is bad. The phone issue is a real problem and I hope the dealer can help me sort it out. Really sucks since my 2017 Ford CarPlay is more seamless than a 2022 Nissan.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Colorado has historically had some of the best Lease deals for the Leaf. Do you see many on the streets there?

I live in Boulder, CO and see another Leaf occasionally. However, I see Teslas all the time and they seem to be coming in more colors now, a striking red and even a gold one.

Back