Does the 2022 Leaf have a setable max charge point yet. How about the Ariya

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ariya details have been lacking but the LEAF? Nope. More than a dozen have been delivered and not one mention of it which I think would be a big deal. Using the charge timer is pretty easy. I aim for an SOC between 45 to 65%. Its rather easy to hit ;)

OrientExpress said:
Not that I have seen. That sort of charging strategy hasn't been around for many years.

Charging strategy? Not sure what that means. I’m taking about the ability to set a point like 80 percent or 90 percent and then just plug in and forget about it. I think most EV manufacturers provide this ability. I thought maybe Nissan had added this in 2022.

Cheers.

It's a nice-to-have. Hardly a deal breaker or maker. The timer UI tells you roughly how long you should charge, set the timer and forget it.

Not that different, unless you're obsessing about small differences in percent charged. Do I care if I land at 78% or 81? No, not really.

frontrangeleaf said:
It's a nice-to-have. Hardly a deal breaker or maker. The timer UI tells you roughly how long you should charge, set the timer and forget it.

Not that different, unless you're obsessing about small differences in percent charged. Do I care if I land at 78% or 81? No, not really.

Yah true. We got pretty good at the timer with our leaf. Not a deal breaker. Nice to have though. Wonder what Nissan doesn’t like about it.

OrientExpress said:
Not that I have seen. That sort of charging strategy hasn't been around for many years.
As long as regen is unavailable at 100% SOC, it will be useful to be able to set a lower target charge level. Either because you live at the top of a hill, or because you prefer that the car's braking behavior not differ at the beginning of your trip.

And the only way I could see that regen would be available at 100% SOC is if a short-duration (comparatively high self-discharge rate) energy storage device (ultracapacitor?) would be cheaper on a $/kWh basis than the traction battery. Then it could make sense to use such a device sized at, say 1% to 5% of the traction battery capacity to help with regen.

Cheers, Wayne

webeleafowners said:
frontrangeleaf said:

Yah true. We got pretty good at the timer with our leaf. Not a deal breaker. Nice to have though. Wonder what Nissan doesn’t like about it.

Nissan has been burned by the EPA over the charge limit. That's why they removed it after 2013. See this Edmunds review of the 2014 Leaf. https://www.edmunds.com/nissan/leaf/2014/review/

"The car's electrical hardware hasn't changed, but Nissan deleted the Leaf's former in-car software option to charge the battery to only 80 percent capacity (which helped prolong long-term battery life). Previously, the EPA was blending both the 80 percent and 100 percent battery capacities into its rating, so the 2014 estimate is a more accurate (and more marketable) number."

According to Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Leaf), the EPA-rated range of the Leaf increased from 75 miles in 2013 to 84 miles in 2014. No explanation for the range increase is given on Wikipedia, which only says

"The 2014 Leaf is largely the same as the 2013 model year except for standard rear-view monitor and updated EV-IT functionality with voice destination entry and SMS readout."

But the story seems clear to me. EPA made a really dumb decision to penalize Nissan for adding a feature. Similar functionality exists in other BEV's. But for some reason they don't get their range ratings penalized. Maybe the fact that the Leaf charge limit was hard-coded to 80% made it easier for the EPA to quantify a range penalty. Maybe Nissan worded the recommendation to use the charge limit a bit too strongly in the EPA's eyes. Regardless, the Leaf was singled out for this penalty and you can bet that Nissan is gun shy to put that feature back in.

I disagree that it's no big deal. Setting a charge limit would make charging a no-brainer operation. But instead, I've got to check the SOC every time I pull into the garage and make a decision whether to plug in or not. Then, I've got to do some math in my head to figure how much time will get me close to 65% - 70% (my preferred level). Then I've got to dig through the menus to tweak the start and stop times. That's silly! You think my wife is going to put up with that? No, that's why it's my car. I'm nerdy enough to put up with that silly stuff. She'll drive the car but I dare not ask her to manage the charge level.

And what happens if I diligently set the timer to add 40% overnight ... but forget to unplug the EVSE the next day? Now I've accidentally charged to 100% and I'm accelerating the aging of the battery. Those of you with the Tech Package can do some charge managing remotely (provided the app is working reliably), but it still doesn't replace a simple charge limit.

Yep. Bolt's had 40% to 100% target charge level screen (in 5% increments) since model year '19. Before that, Bolts only had hilltop reserve on/off. HTR on = ~88% max.

Kona EV definitely has a limiter screen, with separate choices for DC vs. AC charging. It has it in 10% increments. Saw it myself when I visited a dealer. Had heard about it before via a News Coulomb video (~5:58 into https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Mpz4qQW_L4). I believe Niro EV has something similar.

Tesla's had a limiter for ages, since at least Model S.

cwerdna said:
Tesla's had a limiter for ages, since at least Model S.
I think that is correct, my Model 3 lets me set from (I think) 60% - 100% in one percent increments. I particularly appreciate the phone integration before trips: I charge to 85 - 90% the evening before and then bump up to ~ 100% an hour before we depart.

Since I baby my Tesla this way, you can imagine how I feel about the LEAF with its lack of limiter and thermal control. I consider the lack of a charge limiter and CHAdeMO to be the two strongest reasons to not buy another LEAF (and of course Nissan corporate and its dealerships -- Uggh.)

From pictures of Tesla touchscreens and their app, they have affordances to encourage you to not go to 100% unless needed/going on a road trip. (Examples at https://driveteslacanada.ca/news/latest-update-to-tesla-ios-app-shows-new-info-on-charging-screen/ and https://acworks.com/blogs/ac-works-connector/tesla-charging-limits-how-to-change-them-and-why-you-should) And, I hear they warn you about charging too high unless not needed.

In contrast, the My Chevrolet app is a near dumpster fire (was a total dumpster fire for awhile after an update that re-skinned much of the app) and doesn't let you remotely set the target charge level, as far as I can tell. Have to do it on the car itself. However, it lets you have separate settings for Home vs. Away (location-based charging). So, for me, home is at 40% (can't set it any lower) and away is now at 90% (due to GM's guidance over the recall of all Bolts).

WetEV said:
OrientExpress said:

About every other EV has such a capability. From Audi to Volvo.

Why not just Nissan?
Because the other companies knew their cars would catch on fire so they could tell the owners to set it to 80%. Lol

On yesterday's insideEVs podcast they had the Ford EV head on the cast. He said that while the MachE has been ok with owner charging to 100 regularly, they are going to introduce via ota more limiters as they are seeing more users taking road trips with lots of DC charging.

Owners have wanted more top end charging rate. The trade off is that if they open up the charge rate to 90% (vs. 80%) they don't want users to constantly go to 100%.

DougWantsALeaf said:
On yesterday's insideEVs podcast they had the Ford EV head on the cast. He said that while the MachE has been ok with owner charging to 100 regularly, they are going to introduce via ota more limiters as they are seeing more users taking road trips with lots of DC charging.

Owners have wanted more top end charging rate. The trade off is that if they open up the charge rate to 90% (vs. 80%) they don't want users to constantly go to 100%.

Back when I had my 2013, I never used the 80% option, mainly because 100% was not really 100%. Nissan doesn't allow you to charge 100% rated capacity anyway. Even now, my 2020 can only charge to 93% or rated battery capacity (even though the dash says 100%, LeafSpy shows the real value) It might be a moot point for Nissan EV drivers anyway to have a charge option like that. :(

knightmb said:
DougWantsALeaf said:

Back when I had my 2013, I never used the 80% option, mainly because 100% was not really 100%. Nissan doesn't allow you to charge 100% rated capacity anyway. Even now, my 2020 can only charge to 93% or rated battery capacity (even though the dash says 100%, LeafSpy shows the real value) It might be a moot point for Nissan EV drivers anyway to have a charge option like that. :(

That is BMS manipulation you are seeing. You need to look at voltage of the cells and it is NOT a good idea to charge to a level higher than your needs. You may define needs any way you like and if it adds up to a full charge so be it.

Back