Dcbel 16. Home DC unit

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree looks nice, I couldn't find any info on the circuit required but at $7149 for it configured with a nice 20' CHAdeMO cable and 20' J1772 cable, I'll pass but maybe for a commercial establishment? I'm guessing it will require 3-phase power which would eliminate basically all residences in N. America.

Does not look like three phase: https://www.dcbel.energy/wp-content/uploads/dcbel-data-sheet.pdf This R16 is very ambitious for 2021.

• Blackout Power: Use your EV’s battery to sail through multi-day utility grid outages
• Solar Charging: Charge your EV with the unlimited, free power of the sun
• Power Boost: One mile of range per minute of charge
• OrchestrateTM OS: Unique operating system that minimizes your energy costs and carbon footprint
• Dual Charge: Charge two EVs at once
• Easy Outdoor or Indoor Installation: Installed by a single technician

It can handle 3 phase.

I'm still not sure about max DC charging though. Might be ~ 16 kW (38 Amps at 400 volts)

---
If the PV inverter and smart hub work as expected then this is an extremely modest cost box for a home that wants those functions.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Board

This is kind of spendy, but also seems pretty cool. Anyone considering the box?

Dcbel’s r16
https://www.dcbel.energy/packages/?package=smart-home-hub

BC Hydro uses single phase 25 KW on remote highways with only single phase power available. Better than nothing. They are considered safety sites for winter travelling. Usually two of these and a J1772.

49912848277_8758d74f65_c.jpg

webeleafowners said:
BC Hydro uses single phase 25 KW on remote highways with only single phase power available. Better than nothing. They are considered safety sites for winter travelling. Usually two of these and a J1772.
Nice !
Who is the manufacturer ? The box reminds me of Delta

SageBrush said:
It can handle 3 phase.

I'm still not sure about max DC charging though. Might be ~ 16 kW (38 Amps at 400 volts)

---
If the PV inverter and smart hub work as expected then this is an extremely modest cost box for a home that wants those functions.
Pretty sure it's only single phase. They use the term "split-phase +120/-120" but I believe that's just talking about N. America's 240v, two legs of 120v and 240v between them compared to Europe where they have one single leg ~230v. I agree though, looks to require a continuous 64a circuit(80a breaker) which as you said would give a maximum of 38a @ 400v or ~16kw. Looks like the J1772's are capped at 38a or 9.2kw, not sure how that gets divided up if using 2 J1772's at the same time, I mean 32a and 32a would be fine for a 64a continuous circuit but not 38a and 32a.....
It would have been nice if it had accepted 277v(one leg of a 480v commercial circuit) but I suppose that would have required step down transformers as 277v is too high for the J1772 connectors, although I believe Tesla used?(or maybe still does?) accept 277v for it's EVSEs but maybe that's more a car charger thing than EVSE thing.....
I agree though, this EVSE/charger looks like a cool thing, especially for a large dual EVSE home or a small business. I'd think you'd want at least a 200a panel to feed this monster!

jjeff said:
Pretty sure it's only single phase.
Look at page #5 of
https://www.dcbel.energy/wp-content/uploads/dcbel-data-sheet.pdf

Under the schematic they mention a 3phase installation. If I'm reading right, additional hardware is required, and I'm not sure whether the box would then be able to increase its power capacity.

---
15 kW DC charging does not rock my boat, but I'll take it for my home as part of a single, inexpensive box that also integrates PV, battery and smart home management. Add in a 30% federal tax credit and it is a bargain if it works as advertised.

SageBrush said:
webeleafowners said:
Nice !
Who is the manufacturer ? The box reminds me of Delta

I found a slightly closer picture from another BC Hydro charger. Same situation. Isolated highway and rest stop. Anyway, looks like it could be a delta symbol. These 25 KW units get laughed at but I think they are an important safety feature on these isolated highways. Kudos to BC hydro.

JMHO

51121797961_c84085147f_c.jpg

I have no idea what CHadeMo chargers cost, but the Delta unit looks useful at at 25 kW and $10K. We could afford one of these at work.

This one seems more feature rich than the Wallbox Quasar and can have two connectors. Quasar is supposed to go for 4000 when released. It only does 7kw each way (to home or to car). This one doing two cars is nice. I also like it can have a small stationary battery. I think I like this one more than the Quasar and didn't know about it, thanks. Considering all the features I think this is worth the higher price if one is in the market.

dcbel claims to have "SHIP" installers in New York and somewhere in California. They also claim to be considering a Texas installation - moving up that schedule. Looking at the schema/equipment diagram, they can support the US market via some sort of autotransformer add on. Their design for grid disconnect appears to be quite innovative, but I wonder about the approval from the various "transmission" companies. An example is the innovative GenerLink disconnect, but Centerpoint (Houston, TX) will not allow it to be installed (it does reside behind the meter so....).

If anyone knows of an actual dcbel installation, please do post!

Back