How to prep a New House for an EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yanquetino

planet4ever said:
I had to ask myself, 'Why did you care so much about what you expected to learn on June 30?'
I'm sure that we all have a different answer to that question.

My own is that I am building a new home right now. Obviously, it would be best to install whatever is needed for the home charger from the get-go as part of the project. Trusting Nissan's word, I reassured my contractor and electrician that "by June 30" I could provide them "more details on [...] how to begin preparing [the] home for [my Leaf]." The electrician has been waiting for those specs, and getting them "later this summer" will hardly suffice. The wiring has to be laid over the next couple of weeks or we won't be able to move in as scheduled.

I guess at this point I am simply going to try to pick the brains of friends who own Tesla Roadsters. Perhaps they can provide workable specs for breakers, wire gauges, circuits, optimal locations in the garage, etc. I just hope that those specs will suffice for the Leaf, when and if I can arrange for an inspection --rather than installing the precise Leaf components from the ground up. Nissan hasn't left me much choice.

Yanquetino said:
planet4ever said:
I had to ask myself, 'Why did you care so much about what you expected to learn on June 30?'
I'm sure that we all have a different answer to that question.

My own is that I am building a new home right now. Obviously, it would be best to install whatever is needed for the home charger from the get-go as part of the project. ...
I guess at this point I am simply going to try to pick the brains of friends who own Tesla Roadsters. Perhaps they can provide workable specs for breakers, wire gauges, circuits, optimal locations in the garage, etc. I just hope that those specs will suffice for the Leaf, when and if I can arrange for an inspection --rather than installing the precise Leaf components from the ground up. Nissan hasn't left me much choice.

Since Nissan is partnering with AeroVironment for EVSE, maybe telephone AV for info? Since bad info is more harmful than no info, it should be better to go to the 'source' for info.

AV Corporate Headquarters
181 W. Huntington Drive, Suite 202
Monrovia, CA 91016
ph: 626.357.9983
fx: 626.359.9628

Yanquetino said:
My own is that I am building a new home right now.

Why don't you create a new thread - that way people with experience can give you suggestions and you can also document what you learn and do for others.

AndyH said:
Since Nissan is partnering with AeroVironment for EVSE, maybe telephone AV for info?
I wrote to AeroVironment three times over the the last few weeks with no response, but I have finally managed to reach them by phone. The gentleman with whom I spoke was much more helpful than Nissan has ever been. He told me that, to accommodate their "RS Model" EVSE (the top one on this page), my electrician should install...

• a 240V line
  • at 50Hz / 60Hz
  • on a 40amp circuit breaker
  • with 30amp wire (6 gauge, I would imagine)
  • located to allow at least 4 feet between the garage floor and the bottom of the charger
  • located to allow either a 15- or 25-foot cable to reach the Leaf (both are available, at no additonal cost)

According to him, the EVSE is fully capable of charging at 6.6kW, even though the initial Leafs will only handle 3.3kW. Ergo, when and if Nissan upgrades to the higher capacity charger, there will be no need to replace the EVSE. (I just wish that the unit were as powerful as the 70amp model that Tesla uses.)

I will pass these specs on to my electrician, and hope that they don't change before I can install the EVSE and take delivery of my Leaf.

evnow said:
Why don't you create a new thread - that way people with experience can give you suggestions and you can also document what you learn and do for others.
Sure... I'm happy to pass along whatever might help others. Feel free to transfer these last few messages to a new thread, since you are a moderator. Thanks!

Yanquetino said:
  • a 240V line
  • at 50Hz / 60Hz
  • on a 40amp circuit breaker
  • with 30amp wire (6 gauge, I would imagine)
  • located to allow at least 4 feet between the garage floor and the bottom of the charger
  • located to allow either a 15- or 25-foot cable to reach the Leaf (both are available, at no additonal cost)
Just a couple notes here:

Unless that's a type-o above, your wire should be matched to the breaker at least, meaning it should be 40A wire for a 40A breaker. The wire can be capable of handling more current than the breaker. 6 GA wire is good for 55-75A depending on the insulation, so perhaps it was just a type-o and you mean 60-70 A wire.

It's highly recommend to place the EVSE on one side or the other and in a place where the cable won't overlap any commonly used walkways.

drees said:
It's highly recommend to place the EVSE on one side or the other and in a place where the cable won't overlap any commonly used walkways.

Good idea - we should have a new thread on that to see what people are planning.

Regardless of what AV requires I would run 6 gauge wire as it will cover you for an upgraded EVSE and the cost is only incremental since they are running the wire already, the rest of the above tips are all good. If they are running romex the 6 G upgrade is even better since it will be in the wall. Mine will be in conduit, next week I will run 6G in a 1" conduit to my install location. If you think you may be eventually charging two EVs at once in the future you may want to plan accordingly. I can't tell you how many people don't run the proper wire for what they need and they regret it. If you are doing a remodel also run low voltage as well, I would run a CAT6 to the EVSE location as well as to your main panel. I do many high-end automation projects with LV and central lighting controls so if you have any questions please feel free to send a PM. Wire is much less expensive then tearing up walls:)

Yanquetino said:
I will pass these specs on to my electrician, and hope that they don't change before I can install the EVSE and take delivery of my Leaf.

Nice job! Thanks for the excellent info!

drees said:
Unless that's a type-o above, your wire should be matched to the breaker at least, meaning it should be 40A wire for a 40A breaker.
Yeah, I know: I asked the AV rep about that, yet this is what he specified. I don't get it myself, but I figure if I have my electrician install 6 gauge wire, I shouldn't have a problem. In fact, I will probably have him install a 100amp Milbank RV box, and then have him connect the EVSE next to it according to the above specs. That way, if and when onboard chargers and/or EVSEs change, it won't prove so problematic to upgrade the connection.

As for location, yes: by all means it is prudent NOT to have the cable strung across a common walkway. In my case, I am thinking of the far wall of my double (L-shaped) garage, with enough cable to reach two EVs, if ever necessary. It will thus be strung AWAY from the entrance to the house. That location will also allow me access to my small sailboat (in the top of the L), without stepping over the cable. AND... I will be able to open the door to the garage from the house and easily see the SOC lights on both the EVSE and the Leaf.

At least those are the parameters that occur to me so far. ;) Suggestions are welcome!

I am taking my prep 1 step further, I am installing a 100A 20 circuit panel for the ev charging, then it handle 2 40A EVSE breakers, or 1 larger single high power charger...

mitch672 said:
I am taking my prep 1 step further, I am installing a 100A 20 circuit panel for the ev charging, then it handle 2 40A EVSE breakers, or 1 larger single high power charger...

Good idea, when doing the work always over plan for future upgrades, it costs less in the long run.

Instead of adding breakers and surface wiring (through conduit) from whatever breaker box, it is cheaper to put the wiring inside the wall, leaving it unconnected inside the breaker box if necessary. The other end of the wire should end in a (probably metal) junction box (about 4' or less high), that the EVSE will be mounted over.

Some places require a (possibly fused) disconnect "within sight" of the EVSE. Your sub-panel might be sufficient. Only your PU and Local Permit Department will know about restrictions for your specific area.

Internet cable to the wall just inside the main and sub-panels, in case you want to monitor?

Planning for PV?

Planning for the possibility of two-meter service?

I PMed you.

Our new house is now almost finished: we'll be closing on it at the end of next month.

The garage is all ready for an EVSE, as you can see in this photo. The Milbank RV breaker box is on the right, already equipped with both a 120V and 240V outlet. You'll also see that my electrician hasn't installed the breakers for the EVSE in the left slots yet, but he has strung the EVSE's wire through the wall to the box.

evse_ready.jpg

Too bad Nissan and AV won't sell me the EVSE yet. I would have really liked to include it in the construction costs, even though I can't take delivery of my Leaf for well over a year.

I spoke to AV again today about it, to plead my case. So far... no answer.

By the way, on a related note, I am installing a 7kW PV array on the roof. Almost all ready for an EV... and nothing to charge or drive. :cry:

Yanquetino, if the AV people came out it would still cost $2200 to install the EVSE with that setup.
I know as mine is similar (no RV box just 14-50R). No need to pay the $100 sucker fee, get a waiver.

Sure looks like #14 white. Needs to be #12 (yellow) minimum and 20a breaker. AV and many units need #8 (black) & 40a breaker.
I think my colors were wrong. #10 is orange. #8 & #6 are black.

If the stud openings are large enough I would pull a larger wire to future proof. That is a 15-20 minute EVSE installation job.

smkettner said:
Yanquetino, if the AV people came out it would still cost $2200 to install the EVSE with that setup.
I know as mine is similar (no RV box just 14-50R). No need to pay the $100 sucker fee, get a waiver.
Huh. I wish! I can't do either, since I am at least a year away from being able to even order my Leaf. What I am asking AV is that they simply sell me one of the EVSEs, and ship it to my contractor. There are no "AV people" anywhere near my area, but installing a 240V appliance is not rocket science to my licensed electrician: he is doing the same thing for a steam shower, two air conditioners, an oven, and a dryer outlet. And the city has to inspect his work, regardless, before we are issued a Certificate of Occupancy for the new home.

EVDRIVER said:
What gauge is that white romex?
Not sure, and the house is 300 miles away, but I'll ask the electrician. He used AVs own specs, so I would imagine he used their recommended gauge. If not... he'll obviously have to change it. Don't be fooled by the white color, however. An earlier photo of just the framing shows black wires running to and from the Milbank:

wire_before.jpg

After that, the painters evidently painted over it when spraying the garage walls:

wire_after.jpg

OK- looks good. Ask them to push the wire back to where the staple is, patch the hole in the wall and get your final. Make note of the location and in a year or whenever cut a small hole and bring the wire in, then it should talk 10 min to install it. If you don;t need an EVSE now, which you don't then wait as you will have many better options. Have the wire off the breaker and call it a spare with no connection, the inspector will sign off and you will likely be happier in the end. I have done this on more than 30 inspections, it's common practice and not a big deal if there is no wire stubbed out.

Back