A List of EVSE suppliers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVDRIVER

garygid said:
Is this AVCON unit the "older" j1772 standard (with the rectangular connector), not to be confused with the "newer" j1772 standard (with the round connector)?

If these are two incompatible standards with the same name - not very clever, standards people!

I may be possible to replace the cord on an AVCON station and make it work. I need to check on this, just got rid of mine:(

Even though the AVCON is an old non J1772 EVSE, it does give a clue as too the potential price.

I've looked at the block diagram and partial schematics for the J1772 EVSE and the actual connector is the single most expensive component. My VERY rough guess based on the block diagram plus years of Telecom system circuit and system design was something like as follows. It assumes a reasonable volume but my experience is suppliers in a competitive situation tend to use aggressive pricing in order to get contracts. That means the pricing is based on future volumes in order to win business.

The mounting box = $25
SAE J17772 connector $100
Cable $25
GFCI Device = $30
Power supply $15
Control Pilot detector = $10
User Controls ( only LEDs) = $10
Controller = $10
PCB = $25
Communication Upstream $25
Power Line Communication (optional) - not yet fully defined by SAE J2847 = $25

Total VERY conservative cost is less than $300. In a market like this one, doubling the material cost would be a reasonable retail price if forward priced.

I'm sure this EVSE could be sold for under $500 (in a box - not installed) and the risk of starting out at $1500, is some other supplier prices it aggressively and they get a reputation and get on a roll as various EVs come out. Aerovironment seems to be taking the "get as much money back" strategy before Nissan and other EV suppliers begin approving others. That could get them a black eye if someone comes out with a good product at 1/3 the price.

The real wild card is the install.

If you have my situation with a 100A sub-panel with lots of spare capacity 25 feet from where the EVSE wants to be installed plus only minimal installation problems, the install is less than $100 materials and about 2 hours of electrician time.

That would put the best case conservative Level 2 EVSE at $500 + $100 + $200 = $700-$800.

On the other hand, if you need a new sub-panel ( or worse main panel ) and it's installed outdoors that requires trenching, the EVSE could be $$ thousands.

Then there is the PG&E E-9B meter cost... which I doubt many will get. :eek:

Here is a Shorepower presentation http://www.shorepower.com/docs/ev-fact-sheet.pdf

That shows a target price of $850 retail

Future Home Charging Station
• For use in home garages
and secure fleet locations
• Will be available when new
electric vehicles are released
• To be sold with or as an
option with EVs
• SAE J1772 Standard
• Smart Meter compatible
• Programmable off-peak
charging option