Charger will not connect to the Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwin

Hi all, hoping for some assistance or advice. I have a 2017 Leaf with a 2017 Juicebox. My wife set the J1772 on top of the nearby trash can after unplugging and came back to find it on the garage floor. Since then the plug will not connect to the car, even though it fits in fine and the trigger clicks closed/latched. If I wiggle the plug in the cars port I can get the car to beep at me, I think it was 3 quick beeps.

I pulled the plug apart. The switch mechanism appears to be functioning normal. All wires seem secure.

Anyone have any experience with this? I called Juicebox, this is out of warranty and I feel kind of an antique at this point. Can I repair, replace the plug, replace the cord, etc?

Do you have the Level 1 EVSE charging unit that came with the car--give it a try to see if the car will charge (assuming it is not already Fully charged).

It doesn't seem likely that dropping the handle would cause an issue, they get dropped all the time and still work, but it is possible that one of the socket terminals cracked and has created an open circuit. You can buy just a handle with cable and replace it, easier than trying to repair a broken terminal.

My bad, I forgot to mention it’s charging fine with the 120V from Nissan.

I take it all the handles are universal (as in they will fit across all chargers)? Any recommendations on where to buy? Amazon?

I put the plug back together and tried it again to further test. I guess I missed it last time, but the trigger/latch on the top wasn't closing. I eventually got it to close/charge the car. I ended up filing the latch catch a bit and it should work. This had never been a concern prior to yesterday, I think the fall just made a minor amount of dimensional change (I really don't believe this) and made the latch not close.

No idea, but now I know I can change the plug out if it gets worse. Thanks for the help everyone.

Back