I accidentally own 2 similar EVSEs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a 2020 Leaf SV+ delivered today and I did not realize that the SVs came with a 240V EVSE. So unfortunately I also had a Mustart 40A $360 EVSE delivered. I plan to keep this Leaf for 3-6 years and replace it with another EV. The unit will live inside a garage. Is there any reason to keep the Mustart or should I try to return/sell it? Thanks.

Welcome. If you have any need for a portable EVSE to charge at RV parks and other places with 240 volts but no charging stations, then you have a need for two EVSEs. Failing that, you can use the Nissan unit and be prepared to turn it back in with the car, or save a little hassle and just store it, ready to return, and use the aftermarket unit.

In my opinion it's a good idea to have a backup. When my 240V EVSE failed, I was glad to have the Nissan unit to fall back on, even though it was limited to 120V, it was enough to keep me driving until the L2 was replaced. Then again, it probably wouldn't take more than a couple of days to get another EVSE if it came to that. I guess it depends on whether or not you think the convenience of redundancy is worth the $360 opportunity cost.

If you can cancel or return the Mustart unit, I would in light of https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/charge-port-meltdown.39239/.

My opinion that I've expressed numerous times on buying random EVSEs on Amazon and other places is at https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/charge-port-meltdown.39239/page-2#post-621286.

Thank you for the responses. Amazon has a really nice return system where I can just drop the box off at a neary Whole Foods and get my full $360 credited back. It's still sellable in its sealed box.

The Nissan 240V unit charges at maximum speed and people seem to like it, right? I don't care about it looking cool or doing anything fancy.

The only issue with the Nisan unit is that it requires a 40 amp or higher circuit, so despite their hinting at using a dryer circuit, you can't do that with a typical 30 amp dryer circuit.

OsirisOfThisSh said:
Thank you for the responses. Amazon has a really nice return system where I can just drop the box off at a neary Whole Foods and get my full $360 credited back. It's still sellable in its sealed box.

The Nissan 240V unit charges at maximum speed and people seem to like it, right? I don't care about it looking cool or doing anything fancy.

Yeah, glad you're sending it back. Stay away from the no-name EVSEs on Amazon off you decide to buy a second. If you do want a 2nd one, look for the same Nissan Dual Voltage EVSE on Craigslist or Ebay. Sometimes you see them new for around $300.

I love my Nissan EVSE since it's dual voltage. It has been working problem free for 2+ years. I also like that it's relatively easy to install compared to newer, more featured EVSEs.

Another vote for the Nissan Dual voltage EVSE. I have 3 of them and they are bullet proof solid units.

I bought the second one as a spare on eBay for only $206 two years ago. When my 2019 SL+ was totaled I bought a 2020 SL+ and kept the one from my totaled 2019 and the eBay purchased spare.

I have a 2019 Nissan Leaf, and of course got the Nissan level 2 charger.

My daughter is thinking of getting a Hyundai Kona EV, which does not appear to come with anything above a level 1 charger.

Should I expect the Nissan Leaf charger to be able to charge a Kona EV? Or is there some weird software thing that I wouldn't be aware of?

All EVs in the North American market accept J-1772-based charging, and all J-1772 charging plugs are interchangeable (more or less - some fit better or worse). So for L-1 and L-2 charging you can use any charging cable or station with the correct amp rating for your wiring. It's in the area of DC Fast Charging that the standards diverge.

Back