Overhead mechanism to hold charge cable?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EatsShootsandLeafs

Finally got an L2 charger in place and I am 100% positive somebody is going to trip on it. The best way (I think) to resolve is some overhead mechanism to hold it--e.g. this: https://www.amazon.sg/Storq-Home-Charger-Cable-Retractor/dp/B07THH426K . However, that product isn't for sale now, and in any case I don't see the need for the retractor. More I'm thinking along the lines of its arm that swings out. If I can have a bunch of cable held above and a swinging arm (like self-server car washes), it would work well.

Has anybody done this that you've seen? I didn't find much on google. I'll build myself a swinging arm if needed but would rather just buy something if it's priced okay :)

grizzl-e sells an overhead retracting cable, similar in function to what I see at Chargepoint locations.

If I was using the EVSE daily I would be tempted but I really want to be able to pull the cable and lock/unlock it easily. I find the tension on the cable annoying when I am plugging in.

SageBrush said:
grizzl-l sells an overhead retracting cable, similar in function to what I see at Chargepoint locations.

If I was using the EVSE daily I would be tempted but I really want to be able to pull the cable and lock/unlock it easily. I find the tension on the cable annoying when I am plugging in.

heh, grizzl-e is the evse I Just got installed. I can see how a retractor mechanism would be annoying.

I strapped my (third-party) EVSE to one of the beams in my garage, near the garage door opener since there was already a 110 outlet there, which I’m using until I get around to installing a 240 line. I run the cord from the control box to a tie-down strap that I looped over the beam near where the hood of the car is when it’s parked. The straps have hooks on the ends, one of which I use to hold up the extra cord, which I looped up a few times, leaving enough of the cord free to reach the Leaf’s charging port when I need it but short enough to be looped onto the hook when I don’t. It’s overhead and out of the way, but alway ps within reach.

Academiguy said:
I strapped my (third-party) EVSE to one of the beams in my garage, near the garage door opener since there was already a 110 outlet there, which I’m using until I get around to installing a 240 line. I run the cord from the control box to a tie-down strap that I looped over the beam near where the hood of the car is when it’s parked. The straps have hooks on the ends, one of which I use to hold up the extra cord, which I looped up a few times, leaving enough of the cord free to reach the Leaf’s charging port when I need it but short enough to be looped onto the hook when I don’t. It’s overhead and out of the way, but alway ps within reach.

I wrapped my 120 v cable around my garage door opener hanger which worked well. I recently did decide to install a boom for the 240V since I made this thread and it's been working very, very well :) I put it on a barn door hinge attached to the wall.

wmcbrine said:
Here's a public station with swing arms, to bypass a sidewalk:

https://www.plugshare.com/location/272594

Nice.

I built something like this. It's been in service for over a month and I'm extremely happy with it. We can now walk under the cable and the end of it has a hook taped onto the cable itself, upon which I can place the charger end. We're now unable to trip over the cable, it reaches across the garage, it doesn't have any debris on it to scratch paint, etc.

A company called SEMA that sells both retail and commercial EVSE have a very nifty retractable cable mechanism on their commercial product.

Back