webeleafowners
Delivery Date: 06 Oct 2015

Chademo adapter performance on a Tesla model AWD with 50 KW BC Hydro Chademo station.

Sun May 03, 2020 6:30 pm

Hi folks. I know this is not really a Leaf topic but some of us on this board are Leaf/Tesla owners. With that in mind I thought this might be of interest to some.

I took my wifes model 3 to the BC Hydro Chademo/CCS ststion in town to make sure my new BC Hydro RFID cardworked as they recently switched the station from Green Lots to BC Hydro. Gave me a chance to check the Chademo adapter again before we head out on a trip that we will require it for. I pulled in with around 58 percent in the battery. It was around 7 degrees celcius and obviously no preconditioning as that only works with Superchargers. Here are a few pics of the process between 60 or so percent and 90 percent at which point I disconnected.

Bulky connector as you can see but connects pretty easy.

First shot. Sorry. Didn't take the first shot till 68 percent but it hadn't changed from when I hooked up at about 58 percent. I think it started around 38 KW.

Here at 81 percent almost the same. A slight rise in power and speed from 40 KW to 42 KW. .

This is where it gets interesting, At 86 percent the power climbs to 48 KW (47 in the picture sorry)

It hung around there for a little bit and then at 90 percent is started to drop again to 37 percent. Unplugged soon after that as a Leaf showed up looking for a charge.

Just a guess but my guess is as the battery got warmer it was able to accept a charge better, hence the climb in power. Right now you can only pre-condition when navigating to a Supercharger. I think it would be useful for tesla to allow for navigation to other sources of charging and triggering the pre-condition process. This would be especially usefull if
a. the temperature was colder
b. the Chademo adapter had a higher rating. Maybe 75 to 100 KW.

Anyway, thought it was interesting and germane to EV's in general. I'll probably post this on the TMC board as well.

Cheers.
2020 Model 3 Tesla. AWD with FSD. Deep metallic blue. Our daily driver.
2016 Nissan Leaf SV 30KWh Culis Red. Sold. Was my daily driver. Loved that car.
EV only Family...well except for the big diesel motorhome. :shock:

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Re: Chademo adapter performance on a Tesla model AWD with 50 KW BC Hydro Chademo station.

Sun May 03, 2020 6:45 pm

Have a Plugshare link to the charger? What's the amperage on the charger? The power level might've been going up due to the voltage rising.

Some "50 kW" chargers are only 100 amps at stupid voltages like 500 volts (100 amps * 500 volts = 50,000 watts). At say, 370 volts, you'd only hit 37 kW at max if the 100 amps is the bottleneck (100 amps * 370 volts = 37,000 watts).

This is why I avoid the two EVgo dual-standard DC FCs that are sorta near me. EVgo is expensive (see California: Bay Area pricing at https://www.evgo.com/charging-plans/) and I wouldn't hit much more than 37 kW on my Bolt with them. Electrify America opened up a site recently w/MUCH higher powered DC FCs so my Bolt could hit 55 kW on those and with Pass+ membership, they only charge 18 cents/minute.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Re: Chademo adapter performance on a Tesla model AWD with 50 KW BC Hydro Chademo station.

Sun May 03, 2020 6:47 pm

That adapter really puts strain on the charging port.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

cwerdna

Sun May 03, 2020 6:57 pm

^^^
Indeed. I'm surprised Tesla didn't make the cable longer or include some sort of support similar to a tripod or include no cable at all. I've physically seen and picked up the adapter at Tesla's small booth at Tokyo Motor Show last year.

https://shop.tesla.com/product/sae-j177 ... ng-adapter has no cable.
Last edited by cwerdna on Sun May 03, 2020 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

'19 Bolt Premier

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

webeleafowners

Sun May 03, 2020 6:58 pm

cwerdna wrote:
Have a Plugshare link to the charger? What's the amperage on the charger? The power level might've been going up due to the voltage rising.

Some "50 kW" chargers are only 100 amps at stupid voltages like 500 volts (100 amps * 500 volts = 50,000 watts). At say, 370 volts, you'd only hit 37 kW at max if the 100 amps is the bottleneck (100 amps * 370 volts = 37,000 watts).

This is why I avoid the two EVgo dual-standard DC FCs that are sorta near me. EVgo is expensive (see California: Bay Area pricing at https://www.evgo.com/charging-plans/) and I wouldn't hit much more than 37 kW on my Bolt with them. Electrify America opened up a site recently w/MUCH higher powered DC FCs so my Bolt could hit 55 kW on those and with Pass+ membership, they only charge 18 cents/minute.
Hey Cwerdna. I'm having some difficulty linking the Plugshare location but it is Vernon BC Canada. You'll see my entry today. I'm not up on a lot of the techy stuff so I appreciate your commentary. Interesting stuff.

webeleafowners

Sun May 03, 2020 6:59 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 6:47 pm
That adapter really puts strain on the charging port.
Yah no kidding. Its not super heavy but it is substantial.

cwerdna

Sun May 03, 2020 7:01 pm

^^^
Look like https://www.plugshare.com/location/95070. Is charging really free? If so, that's nice.

When you/someone gets a chance, would be nice to take a pic of the labels of the DC FC and upload them to Plugshare. The unit looks like it's made by ABB but they have DC chargers in all sorts of "strengths".

'19 Bolt Premier

webeleafowners

Sun May 03, 2020 7:06 pm

cwerdna wrote:

Figured it out. Duh.

https://www.plugshare.com/location/95070

webeleafowners

Sun May 03, 2020 7:21 pm

cwerdna wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 7:01 pm
^^^
Look like https://www.plugshare.com/location/95070. Is charging really free? If so, that's nice.

When you/someone gets a chance, would be nice to take a pic of the labels of the DC FC and upload them to Plugshare. The unit looks like it's made by ABB but they have DC chargers in all sorts of "strengths".
Yah its kind of weird. This station has been free for years. Not sure why. All the city stations in this town are free although you have to pay for parking at the level 2's. It is about 8 blocks ) ish from our house. We rarely use it. Surprisingly I don't think the fact that it is free makes it subject to abuse. Probably because of it's location close to the bus depot.

On edit. I know there are some other DCFC's in the province that are free but usually only for trial purposes for 6 months and then they become pay stations. This one is the exception as far as I know. (not an expert)

I'll try and take those pictures soonest and upload them.

Cheers

alozzy
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017

Mon May 04, 2020 10:30 am

So far, all of the DCFCs at Superstores are still free. In Vancouver, the BCIT campus DCFC is also still free. Oddly, once in awhile other DCFCs in Vancouver have been free at random, like the one in the lower Lonsdale area in North Vancouver and the one in Vancouver at Empire field. Both of those were originally free, then became $0.32/kWh, then have once in awhile reverted to free for a week or two and then go back to pay. Actually, the one at UFV in Abbotsford was likewise recently free and is back to pay now.

I'll not complain about free charging, but BC Hydro hasn't exactly done a stellar job of managing DC fast charging infrastructure rollout and maintenance. I guess it's all relative though, as ICBC is an absolute dumpster fire. I sure hope ICBC becomes a focal point of the next provincial election and that an opposition party (ie Liberals) promise to privatize auto insurance - they'll get my vote if they do.

Same with condo/townhouse insurance, but I digress! End of rant :D
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”