Does it still make sense to alter the bundled 110V EVSE?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmand

I have a 2017 Leaf, and an extra 110 Volt EVSE left over from a 2015 Leaf that I traded in. Back in 2015 Ihere was a company that would convert the EVSE to 220V/16amps. I live in a condo and getting access to a 220 outlet was problematic so I dropped it, and it also seemed that the company doing the conversion shut down.

So now its 2020 and I have some prospect of access to a 220 outlet at the condo.

Is anyone still doing these conversions professionally, and does it even make sense? I see new portable 220v/16A EVSE's at Amazon for $150-200, and some 32amp units for just under $300.

EVSEupgrade is still in business(AFAIK) but I personally wouldn't do it if I had a newer Leaf that maxed out at 16a(because Nissan cheaped out and used 14g wire instead of 12G :x ).
I upgraded my '13 EVSE at the time because it would go up to a full 20a and EVSEs at the time were generally over $300. As you said now you can find cheap Chinese made EVSEs for <$200 and they work fine, I have one.
To me having the adjustable part is very handy and EVSEupgrade does have that feature, not many if any of the cheap models let you adjust the current. I like it because if you can't adjust the EVSE and it's 16a, it's also 16a @ 120v, limiting you to a 20a circuit which in my case would mean I'd have to carry around not only the 240v EVSE but the OEM 12a 120v one also in case I'm in a bind and needed to plug into a more common 15a circuit.
Looks like EVSEupgrade is moving?? wonder how long this will last, or if it means they are actually not in business anymore :?
http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=down_for_maintenance&zenid=qo7k43ugostmg66csd388hh841

Back