DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 14820
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: General EV Infrastructure News

Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:14 pm

roussir wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:40 pm
Oilpan4 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:32 am
Anything that starts out "the government should start"... the answer is no.

If you want it, tell your state government to do it.

Plus doesn't tesla already have a cross country network of chargers that covers most of the nation?

I didn't buy an EV to drive cross country.
States cannot print money (that is, do deficit-funded stimulus/infrastructure investments). The federal government can and it should.
Ahh, beat me to it. We all seem to forget that w/o Uncle Sam, most of us would have nothing including 90% of the freeways we have, bridges we cross and so on. For something on a nationwide scale, it should be done "nationally" Getting even a handful of states on the same page would take years even if everyone involved was overwhelmingly in favor.

The West Coast Green Highway is a perfect example. Everyone was on board with the idea BIG TIME but different legislature, budget and meeting schedules got in the way and California (a MAJOR pro EV state) fell to the wayside and that is only THREE states. Getting a dozen on the same page?? LOL!!!

The national program proposed is EXACTLY how we should be doing it simply because if they don't do it, it won't get done. Relying on automobile manufacturers to do it? LOL!!

Relying on states to do it? LOL!!

Relying on the current rag tag group of public charging systems to do it? LOL!!
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 10,081 mi, 95.03% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GRA
Posts: 11957
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: East side of San Francisco Bay

Re: General EV Infrastructure News

Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:33 pm

GCC:
Canada investing $8M in Ontario’s EV charging network
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2020/0 ... anada.html


The government of Canada is investing $8 million to build 160 fast chargers at 73 locations for EVs across the province of Ontario.

Funding is provided through Natural Resources Canada’s Electric Vehicle and Alternative Fuel Infrastructure Deployment Initiative (EVAFIDI), and will allow Hydro One and Ontario Power Generation (OPG) to build one of the province’s largest EV networks.

The new investment . . . will . . . help reach a target of 100% of passenger zero-emission vehicle sales by 2040.

To reach this target, the Government of Canada is investing more than $300 million to support the establishment of a coast-to-coast network of fast-chargers for EVs, charging stations at apartment buildings, public places and workplaces, and hydrogen stations in metropolitan centers.


GCR:
California bill aims to cut permit time for EV charging stations
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/11 ... g-stations

California has by far the most electric cars of any state, but the permitting process for new charging stations can take substantially longer than elsewhere. A new bill introduced in the California State Assembly aims to address that.

The bill would streamline the permitting process for charging stations by amending Section 65850.75 of California's Government Code, which covers zoning.

It would require any application to be automatically deemed complete after five business days if no issues are found, and approved after 15 business days if regulators have not made findings showing an adverse impact from the construction.

The bill was applauded by Electrify America, the entity created to spend $2 billion of Volkswagen diesel-emissions penalties on zero-emission vehicle infrastructure.

In a statement, Electrify America said the permitting process for its stations can take 70% longer in California than the rest of the nation. Stations must be redesigned 30% more often in California, and end up costing 20% more, according to Electrify America.

California already has a law on the books to streamline permitting (AB1236, passed in 2015) but Electrify America claims 80% of California cities and counties are not following it. . . .
Last edited by GRA on Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

Oilpan4
Posts: 1465
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:51 pm
Delivery Date: 10 May 2018
Leaf Number: 004270

Re: General EV Infrastructure News

Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:54 pm

Canada going 100% electric will mean more oil to export.
trumpvirus
Is going to get you.

Oilpan4
Posts: 1465
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:51 pm
Delivery Date: 10 May 2018
Leaf Number: 004270

Re: General EV Infrastructure News

Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:22 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:14 pm
roussir wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:40 pm
Oilpan4 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:32 am
Anything that starts out "the government should start"... the answer is no.

If you want it, tell your state government to do it.

Plus doesn't tesla already have a cross country network of chargers that covers most of the nation?

I didn't buy an EV to drive cross country.
States cannot print money (that is, do deficit-funded stimulus/infrastructure investments). The federal government can and it should.
Ahh, beat me to it. We all seem to forget that w/o Uncle Sam, most of us would have nothing including 90% of the freeways we have, bridges we cross and so on. For something on a nationwide scale, it should be done "nationally" Getting even a handful of states on the same page would take years even if everyone involved was overwhelmingly in favor.

The West Coast Green Highway is a perfect example. Everyone was on board with the idea BIG TIME but different legislature, budget and meeting schedules got in the way and California (a MAJOR pro EV state) fell to the wayside and that is only THREE states. Getting a dozen on the same page?? LOL!!!

The national program proposed is EXACTLY how we should be doing it simply because if they don't do it, it won't get done. Relying on automobile manufacturers to do it? LOL!!

Relying on states to do it? LOL!!

Relying on the current rag tag group of public charging systems to do it? LOL!!
I have already said numerous times the roads benefit everyone, even people who don't have a car.
Electric vehicle owners are a special interest group, it only benefits them. Even the plug in hybrid people won't waste their time charging when they could be filling up with gas and getting back on the road.
I don't use any public charging.
Tesla seems to have figured it out.
I didn't buy an electric vehicle to go on road trips. If I'm going to go on a road trip I want to cover about 1,000 miles in a day. Wife's hybrid gets about 40mpg at 75mph with about 600 miles between fill ups.
Putting in chargers is the perfect excuse to tax electric vehicles more. I don't want to pay for chargers I didn't ask for and don't use.
trumpvirus
Is going to get you.

johnlocke
Posts: 608
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:47 pm
Delivery Date: 14 Dec 2015
Leaf Number: 300582

Re: General EV Infrastructure News

Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:30 pm

Oilpan4 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:22 pm
DaveinOlyWA wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:14 pm
roussir wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:40 pm


States cannot print money (that is, do deficit-funded stimulus/infrastructure investments). The federal government can and it should.
Ahh, beat me to it. We all seem to forget that w/o Uncle Sam, most of us would have nothing including 90% of the freeways we have, bridges we cross and so on. For something on a nationwide scale, it should be done "nationally" Getting even a handful of states on the same page would take years even if everyone involved was overwhelmingly in favor.

The West Coast Green Highway is a perfect example. Everyone was on board with the idea BIG TIME but different legislature, budget and meeting schedules got in the way and California (a MAJOR pro EV state) fell to the wayside and that is only THREE states. Getting a dozen on the same page?? LOL!!!

The national program proposed is EXACTLY how we should be doing it simply because if they don't do it, it won't get done. Relying on automobile manufacturers to do it? LOL!!

Relying on states to do it? LOL!!

Relying on the current rag tag group of public charging systems to do it? LOL!!
I have already said numerous times the roads benefit everyone, even people who don't have a car.
Electric vehicle owners are a special interest group, it only benefits them. Even the plug in hybrid people won't waste their time charging when they could be filling up with gas and getting back on the road.
I don't use any public charging.
Tesla seems to have figured it out.
I didn't buy an electric vehicle to go on road trips. If I'm going to go on a road trip I want to cover about 1,000 miles in a day. Wife's hybrid gets about 40mpg at 75mph with about 600 miles between fill ups.
Putting in chargers is the perfect excuse to tax electric vehicles more. I don't want to pay for chargers I didn't ask for and don't use.
If putting in charging stations nationwide helps EV sales and reduces pollution then everyone benefits. Even if you don't own an EV! The biggest benefit will occur when electric semi-trucks push out diesel trucks and they will need a national charging network in order to do that.
2016 SV, New battery at 45K mi.
Jamul, CA
San Diego East County

Oilpan4
Posts: 1465
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:51 pm
Delivery Date: 10 May 2018
Leaf Number: 004270

Re: General EV Infrastructure News

Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:10 pm

Big truck chargers probably aren't going to be usable on cars.

If anything compressed natural gas or diesel trucks that can also use natural gas intake fumigation will push out trucks that burn straight diesel. Last time I went to a natural gas station, which was around a year ago the natural gas at retail was $1.40 per gallon of diesel equivalent. For a trucking company pumping up their own trucks $3 worth of natural gas would replace about 7 gallons of diesel, plus cost of electricity to compress it and what ever fill station maintenance runs.
trumpvirus
Is going to get you.

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 14820
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: General EV Infrastructure News

Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:35 am

Oilpan4 wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:10 pm
Big truck chargers probably aren't going to be usable on cars.

If anything compressed natural gas or diesel trucks that can also use natural gas intake fumigation will push out trucks that burn straight diesel. Last time I went to a natural gas station, which was around a year ago the natural gas at retail was $1.40 per gallon of diesel equivalent. For a trucking company pumping up their own trucks $3 worth of natural gas would replace about 7 gallons of diesel, plus cost of electricity to compress it and what ever fill station maintenance runs.
I think Tesla and others will blow up your "if anything" ;)
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 10,081 mi, 95.03% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oilpan4
Posts: 1465
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:51 pm
Delivery Date: 10 May 2018
Leaf Number: 004270

Re: General EV Infrastructure News

Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:09 am

DaveinOlyWA wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:35 am
Oilpan4 wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:10 pm
Big truck chargers probably aren't going to be usable on cars.

If anything compressed natural gas or diesel trucks that can also use natural gas intake fumigation will push out trucks that burn straight diesel. Last time I went to a natural gas station, which was around a year ago the natural gas at retail was $1.40 per gallon of diesel equivalent. For a trucking company pumping up their own trucks $3 worth of natural gas would replace about 7 gallons of diesel, plus cost of electricity to compress it and what ever fill station maintenance runs.
I think Tesla and others will blow up your "if anything" ;)
At least for local and short trips I hope they do. I don't see any compelling reason why electric wouldn't work.
trumpvirus
Is going to get you.

DougWantsALeaf
Posts: 1689
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 8:21 pm
Delivery Date: 18 May 2013
Leaf Number: 407811
Location: Chicago North Side

Re: General EV Infrastructure News

Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:42 pm

2019 S Plus (98.6% SOH) & 2019 SV Plus (94.6% SOH) Both Silver
2013 Leaf SV sold 2019
100 Mile Club Member (Number 87)
Max Miles on 13 Leaf: 120 miles
Max Miles on 19 SV Leaf: 242 Highway 4.5 miles/kWh

GRA
Posts: 11957
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: East side of San Francisco Bay

Re: General EV Infrastructure News

Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:33 pm

GCC:
Daimler Trucks E-Mobility Group starts global initiative for electric-truck charging infrastructure
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2020/0 ... imler.html

. . . The initial focus is on charging stations installed at the depots of truck customers.

Within the framework of the initiative, the E-Mobility Group is bringing together the main players—e-truck customers, power grid operators, energy suppliers, charging hardware manufacturers and charging software providers—thus promoting shared infrastructure solutions for truck customers within the network.

The focus of activities is currently on the United States and Europe. Japan is the next market to follow. The first workshops have been taking place for some time now. The first joint pilot projects for setting up charging infrastructure at truck depots have also already been implemented or are in preparation. . . .

The close dialog between the main players is also intended to speed up previously lengthy and complex planning and application processes for network connections. In addition, the participants are also concerned with aspects such as optimized load management of the electricity grid and sustainable electricity supply.

The sooner and more exactly the energy suppliers and power grid operators know what customers’ infrastructure requirements will be, the faster and more efficiently they can build them up. The initiative’s measures therefore include the development of standard concepts that cover common charging profiles. Different energy suppliers can use these concepts, significantly reducing their planning time. So far, infrastructure projects have mostly been treated as individual cases.

In addition, standardized and optimized forms accelerate the approval procedures for the network operators. Fast processes mean reduced costs for all involved. Other approaches, such as the best possible design of the interfaces between charging infrastructure, vehicle and grid, as well as the possibilities of controlling the grid load and thus ensuring the—as sustainable as possible—supply of electricity, are also addressed within the initiative.

In rural areas and when there is a high demand for electricity, it is also important to ensure charging reliability, which is another of the initiative’s subject areas. . . .
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”