Drive The ARC (DTA) and EVgo

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveinOlyWA said:
How did you determine this?
https://drivethearc.com/drivethearc-app-faqs/ seems to say it's over. Look under Commercial Phase.
What's the reason to end free EV charging campaign?
This is a demonstration experiment, and one of the purpose is to verify the feasibility of EV charging service which covers moving between cities. We've just started variable discount service to do it.
and, I can't believe this error.... Ugh. :roll:
Is the pricing different between 50 kWh and 100 kWh chargers?
No. The pricing is same even if charger output is different.

cwerdna said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
How did you determine this?
https://drivethearc.com/drivethearc-app-faqs/ seems to say it's over. Look under Commercial Phase.
What's the reason to end free EV charging campaign?
This is a demonstration experiment, and one of the purpose is to verify the feasibility of EV charging service which covers moving between cities. We've just started variable discount service to do it.
and, I can't believe this error.... Ugh. :roll:
Is the pricing different between 50 kWh and 100 kWh chargers?
No. The pricing is same even if charger output is different.

Same price for 50 or 100 kw? Ok, that is strange. Are both stations available in the same location or it is all or one or the other?

Contradictions abound as to whether or not Drive The ARC continues to be free or if it is now pay-to-use.
I and others have been told by EVgo CSRs that DTA is no longer free to charge.
Others report that they must contact EVgo and ask for a charge to be initiated.
Please Note: EVgo is in the process of changing the charging station screens in the Sacramento area.
These "new" screens lack any info about how to use Drive The ARC.
If an EV owner wishes to charge using DTA app they must call EVgo where it is a crapshoot as to what the present state of DTA is.
Some Evgo CSRs say that DTA is no longer free.
Other Evgo CSRs know little or nothing about DTA.
A Few EVgo CSRs will initiate a remote charge session for DTA members.
Go figure.

From Drive The ARC.
Received 01-22-2020

"Thanks for your information on the problem related with the new EVgo screens.
We noticed the problem and started discussing how to resume our DRIVEtheARC services.

As of Jan/21, EVgo has finished emergency workaround to display a QR code to start charging by DRIVEtheARC smartphone app.
We are also planning to shortly change the screens to DRIVEtheARC logo screens completely compatible with DRIVEtheARC app."

Interestingly, https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/ccs-adapter-for-north-america.165490/page-8#post-4504896 reports that he's still receiving free juice as of Feb 21, 2020.

Summit House is in "Los Gatos" (technically, I guess) and the Walmart Gilroy is in Gilroy. I see them on the map at https://drivethearc.com/

I just charged at the Camp Roberts Southbound rest area at 30 kW for free from ChargePoint. Sign said "drive the ARC". While 30 kW is low, it's enough for a short stop and a couple of loops around the walkway. ;) Got us back to Bako and was a pleasant--solar powered--stop.

Paul

CHAdeMO DTA is still free but as a TOD offering. Depending of the time, DTA may or may not be free. The other thing is that the charging session time has changed from 45 minutes to 30 minutes.

DTA-console.png

From https://drivethearc.com/news/, https://drivethearc.com/covid-19-update-100-discount-promoticket-services/ from May 27, 2020 says "(*) 100% discount PromoTicket is available until our further notice."

There are guys in a Bolt FB group claiming that "DTA" provides free SAE Combo charging now, as well.

edit:
After contacting Drive The Arc about free promo tickets for SAE Combo charging via the form at https://drivethearc.com/charging-station-faqs/ which apparently goes to EVgo support, they said in part:
"I can confirm that Drive the Arc is offering this to both CHAdeMO and CCS EVs. You will need to enroll and link your DTA account to EVgo within the app. And be sure to activate your session within the DTA app on a DTA charger..."

update 2:
I was able to successfully charge my Bolt for free using SAE Combo on one of the above. More details at https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/calif-dcfc-info-and-or-news.30575/page-17#post-545551. Be sure to check your EVgo account via their web site (https://account.evgo.com/secured/transactions) or app for proper courtesy/misc credit.

I picked up almost 30 kWh. My 1st session ended abruptly as my Bolt's thermal management kicked on. Apparently, I hit the 45 minute session limit and had to get another promo ticket to continue.

I have to say, their app and web site seem rather complex. Oddly, I couldn't check my charging session status from the DriveTheArc app. But, one thing that was quite interesting and helpful is that their app would actually show the latest 50 sessions on a station with their dates, times and whether they were success or fail along w/totals per day.

Update: I charged my Bolt again last night for free via SAE Combo but on a different DTA location. I picked up another ~21 kWh.

As another Bolt driver told me, the credit in EVgo's app shows up 15 minutes after you get "charged" $. (Well, at least the time stamps are 15 minutes apart.)

Also, as I posted elsewhere, DTA's report of "success" can be wrong. I used charger DC1 at the location I was at and 2/2 sessions failed w/a communication failed error before charging even began. I switched to the other DC FC there and that worked fine. Both my failed sessions were reported as "success" in DTA's app. :roll:

I used DTA again at the 1st location I'd been going to. 1 DC FC in the DTA app was reported as being down on the CHAdeMO side. I tried the SAE Combo side over 5 times and couldn't get it to start. Would hit a communications error. I called EVgo to report it while waiting for the Bolt below.

The other DC FC was in use by a Bolt. I talked to the driver and he was surprisingly clueless. He had red HOV stickers which https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/vehicle-registration/license-plates-decals-and-placards/clean-air-vehicle-decals-for-using-carpool-lanes/ says were issued in 2018. He was charging up to pretty full (past 90%) and he asked me why it was getting slower and slower. He said he had some long drive ahead of him tomorrow and was trying to get to full. He yielded to me once he hit his 45 minute session limit.

He brought up living in an apartment from our convo, it sounded like he was talking about the stock L1 120 volt EVSE. He said he plugged it in one night and thought it'd charge up quickly. And, it didn't, to his surprise. I explained 12 amps * 120 volts = 1.44 kW vs. 60 kWh battery.

Also, it sounded like he didn't know about the charging networks in the area as he asked me about other stations. I showed him Plugshare and mentioned a few providers. The broken DC FC actually had graphics on screen talking about DrivetheARC, discounted charging ,etc.

The above driver apparently didn't know about DTA and was paying. He pulled out his ChargePoint card so I guess he took advantage of roaming agreement between EVgo and ChargePoint. He might be in for a shock in terms of price (or maybe he is used to it?) The current non-member rate for EVGo in the Bay Area is 30 cents/minute and thus his 45 minute session would've cost him $13.50 with it going quite slow when the session stopped.

I briefly showed him the app, told him about signing up for DTA, EVgo, linking the 2 accounts and getting a promo ticket.

One annoying part is that normally, I receive credit 15 minutes after the charge. I only got credit on my 2nd session ($4.20). The other one ($13.50), I didn't receive credit for. :( I verified that for sure I had a 100% promo ticket for that 45 minute session. I ended up calling DTA support to report it. Hope they properly credit me in the end. Otherwise, I'll be pretty pissed as that $13.50 only got my 18.85 kWh since I started at above 55% and let it keep going until I hit my 45 minute session limit.

Also, I've found that once Bolt gets somewhere past ~90% SoC, charging rate slows to about 11 kW.

Interestingly enough, a couple came by walking their dogs looking at the chargers. I talked to them briefly and they said they had a Bolt and didn't know about DTA and the free charging. So, I explained to them, as well. I asked if they had the DC FC inlet w/the orange flap to which they said yes.

I'd been at this location about a week earlier and there was a black gen 1 Leaf (he said he had a '13 SV w/over 130K miles on it) successfully using the charger was down today. He'd been taking advantage of free DTA juice for awhile now. For him, it was more incentive to keep his Leaf. Sounded like he wouldn't still have it if it weren't for the free juice. I didn't look but he said he was at 9 capacity bars now and lived near the charger.

update: Re: credit, I guess my call to DrivetheARC support did some good. I received my $13.50 credit many hours later, at 3 am. Yay!

cwerdna said:
One annoying part is that normally, I receive credit 15 minutes after the charge. I only got credit on my 2nd session ($4.20). The other one ($13.50), I didn't receive credit for. :( I verified that for sure I had a 100% promo ticket for that 45 minute session. I ended up calling DTA support to report it. Hope they properly credit me in the end. Otherwise, I'll be pretty pissed as that $13.50 only got my 18.85 kWh since I started at above 55% and let it keep going until I hit my 45 minute session limit.

Also, I've found that once Bolt gets somewhere past ~90% SoC, charging rate slows to about 11 kW.
update: Re: credit, I guess my call to DrivetheARC support did some good. I received my $13.50 credit many hours later, at 3 am. Yay!
I used another DTA location w/my Bolt last night sorta on the way home from an excursion.

The particular BTC Power charging was taller and had a similar handle and cable to the heavier ones that Electrify America has. Unfortunately, even though my handle got locked to the car (you can hear the actuator), my sessions would stop about 1 to 3 minutes in. There was sort of a hint on Plugshare check-ins so I parked sideways so that the cable didn't need to reach that far. Didn't help. Still had a stoppage.

Finally, I was able to sort of support the cable via one of the vertical posts and that helped. I had 45 minute + another 20 minute session w/o issue.

Unfortunately, I hit the credit issue again. One session ($13.50) I received no credit for. This time, I pinged EVgo via their web site's support form. They didn't get the right session in the reply so I had to reply again w/more info and they finally credited me.

For the CCS fanboys/anti-CHAdeMO people who keep wanting CHAdeMO to go away, please take a look at https://www.torquenews.com/8861/chevrolet-bolt-ev-and-spark-ev-charging-port-issues-and-corrections. The Spark EV issue is known but I haven't followed closely. The problems w/the heavier cables and handles + needing to lift so that the handshake can complete and the handle can get locked to the car are also known, but not every knows about that as evidenced by fairly common complaints about EA (charger "didn't work") on Bolt FB groups. People echo needing to lift/support the handle to start a session + the usual use the app, not a credit card many many times. Often the reply is "oh, I didn't know about that". (Obviously the app vs. credit card reader issue is EA specific and nothing to do w/CCS.)

And yes, I did that, as well. I had no problem starting the session nor with it locking to the car. It would just stop 1 to 3 minutes with charging "finished" and no indication anywhere as to why (e.g. error).

At least CHAdeMO has an some more evolution time and doesn't have this sort of issue, AFAIK whereas CCS cars have been shipping in the US since early 2014 (https://insideevs.com/news/320873/chevrolet-presents-dc-fast-charging-for-2014-spark-ev-w-video/) and we still have problems or new ones (e.g. heavy liquid cooled cables).

And, to top it off, on CCS, the locking mechanism is on the car side and can lead to problems like https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-e-tron-232/locked-charge-port-door-solution-another-terrible-holiday-trip-failure-audi-ea-2984096/. (Remember that Electrify America, what that guy used is a wholly-owned subsidiary of VW of America. VW owns Audi, the company.)

cwerdna said:
cwerdna said:

I used another DTA location w/my Bolt last night sorta on the way home from an excursion.

The particular BTC Power charging was taller and had a similar handle and cable to the heavier ones that Electrify America has. Unfortunately, even though my handle got locked to the car (you can hear the actuator), my sessions would stop about 1 to 3 minutes in. There was sort of a hint on Plugshare check-ins so I parked sideways so that the cable didn't need to reach that far. Didn't help. Still had a stoppage.

Finally, I was able to sort of support the cable via one of the vertical posts and that helped. I had 45 minute + another 20 minute session w/o issue.

Unfortunately, I hit the credit issue again. One session ($13.50) I received no credit for. This time, I pinged EVgo via their web site's support form. They didn't get the right session in the reply so I had to reply again w/more info and they finally credited me.

For the CCS fanboys/anti-CHAdeMO people who keep wanting CHAdeMO to go away, please take a look at https://www.torquenews.com/8861/chevrolet-bolt-ev-and-spark-ev-charging-port-issues-and-corrections. The Spark EV issue is known but I haven't followed closely. The problems w/the heavier cables and handles + needing to lift so that the handshake can complete and the handle can get locked to the car are also known, but not every knows about that as evidenced by fairly common complaints about EA (charger "didn't work") on Bolt FB groups. People echo needing to lift/support the handle to start a session + the usual use the app, not a credit card many many times. Often the reply is "oh, I didn't know about that". (Obviously the app vs. credit card reader issue is EA specific and nothing to do w/CCS.)

And yes, I did that, as well. I had no problem starting the session nor with it locking to the car. It would just stop 1 to 3 minutes with charging "finished" and no indication anywhere as to why (e.g. error).

At least CHAdeMO has an some more evolution time and doesn't have this sort of issue, AFAIK whereas CCS cars have been shipping in the US since early 2014 (https://insideevs.com/news/320873/chevrolet-presents-dc-fast-charging-for-2014-spark-ev-w-video/) and we still have problems or new ones (e.g. heavy liquid cooled cables).

And, to top it off, on CCS, the locking mechanism is on the car side and can lead to problems like https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-e-tron-232/locked-charge-port-door-solution-another-terrible-holiday-trip-failure-audi-ea-2984096/. (Remember that Electrify America, what that guy used is a wholly-owned subsidiary of VW of America. VW owns Audi, the company.)

Interesting. On my charge @ Vancouver Plaza EA, the first attempt failed likely because I powered car on too soon after the charge started. It takes a few seconds longer for the power to max out than what I am used to so I thought I would have to unplug and restart the session but the plug was locked to car.

But there was a reset button on the station so I hit that and and 10 seconds later I was charging. Easiest reset process EVER.

Its "possible" that my wiggling the plug a bit might have seated it better but I don't feel that is likely

Tonight, I introduced 2 more people to DTA. This makes three so far at "street"/charger encounters.

I arrived at one site and saw a Clarity Electric plugged in but he started no session. Luckily the other DC FC was open and working, so I plugged myself in.

I took pics of the Clarity and was about to upload to the EVHOLE FB page but then the driver came out, eventually. He didn't know about DTA despite the sticker, verbiage on the display and decals on the side. He knew that EVgo was pricey and from talking to him, he's definitely paid for EVgo DC FCing before (e.g. brought up paying $10 to charge). I couldn't get a 2nd promo ticket (gives an error that it's in use) while I was charging.

He was about to swipe his EVgo card to start and I suggested he not. Eventually, he got all signed up, accounts linked and he was able to start his session thru DTA. I was surprised to see such a slow charging rate of 34 kW on Clarity when he was low (IIRC, he was at 18% or 28% SoC). I was past 40 kW despite being past 55% SoC on my Bolt on the adjacent identical looking DC FC.

I later saw a gen 1 Leaf pull up nearby and I asked if they wanted to charge. If so, I'd yield since my rate was down to 15 kW already. They said, ok. I asked if they had CHAdeMO first. I asked if they knew about DrivetheARC and they said no. They said they have charged at EVgo before but used their CC, usually.

Anyway, I told them again about the app since it would take them awhile to d/l the apps, sign up, link them, etc. Then I started a free session for them and plugged them in.

His Leaf was an '11 or '12, judging by the marker lights on the front fenders.

https://drivethearc.com/congestion-pricing-drivethearc-start-september-3-2020/ says
DRIVEtheARC charging stations will start congestion pricing at each of our 26 locations at our 55 fast charging stations on Sep/3/2020. Please see the details at https://drivethearc.com/.
I don't see any details yet. Oh well. It was good while it lasted.

Charged at two DTA sites I'd never been to before. At one of them, an i3 pulled up needing to charge so I yielded since my charge rate was down to pretty low (~23 kW) as I was past 70% SoC. Fortunately, he knew about DTA.

Another fellow Bolt driver using another DC FC asked me if I knew about it and I replied yes. Like me, he said he was surprised that he's encountered many people who don't know about it. Funny enough, he said he works for ChargePoint. I'm familiar with the location of their HQ since I used to frequent that area.

It's still unclear what the pricing/discounts might be like on/after Sept 3rd. For the days I can access Sept 3 and beyond, I'm still seeing free for all time slots via hamburger menu > Discount Timetable.

update:
Someone PMed me w/the content of the email that arrived last night and I'd already read titled "Congestion Pricing for DRIVEtheARC to start on September 3, 2020".
DTA also send another mail titled "DRIVEtheARC app service - downtime this Thursday" which echoes https://drivethearc.com/drivethearc-app-service-downtime-thursday/.

Both the iOS and Android apps required updates last night and now they are charging $ at certain times at certain stations. For the one nearest me + one other I sometimes go to, it seems mainly only possible to get free juice between 10 pm and 6 am. Otherwise, it could be 0, 25, 50 or 75% discount off EVgo prices.

At the closest one for me, one station (two stations at that site) seems to be always free with reservation. Problem is if you show up and it's broken, either you leave or pay whatever the discounted price (if any) is on the other station.

Back