Question about Leaf 240V EVSE Charger

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbrance

Recently upgraded from a 2015 to 2019 Nissan Leaf SV Plus.

The new car comes with a charger has a 14-50 plug and a adapter so it can also use a 5-15. My normal charger I use at home is a Juice Box Pro 40 which goes up to 10Kw. Normally the Leaf when charging maxes out at around 28 A. I have for my juice box several adapters that allow the 14-50 plug on the Juice box to use different receptacles (NEMA) 5-15 , (NEMA) 10-30 and a (NEMA) 14-30 (https://emotorwerks.com/store/accessories/juicebox-adapters-input-cables) . Is it safe to use these adapters on the Nissan Supplied EVSE? The Nissan Supplied EVSE is using a 14-50 plug when in reality it would max out at amperage far below the maximum for the receptacle.
In theory a dryer receptacle like a 10-30 should be able to supply the continuous draw that the Nissan EVSE would pull. When travelling it seems to be easier to find a dryer outlet than a 14-50 outlet. Most people have a washer/dryer either in or near their garage. Which gives ready access to a 30-amp 220V circuit.

While the adapters would work, the 240v Nissan EVSE draws too much for continuous use on a 30a dryer type outlet. For a 30a outlet/breaker the maximum continuous draw by code is 24a, at 27.5a(max current the Leaf can charge at) you'd be over that. I'm guessing your Juicebox allows you to limit the charging current, like mine? Unfortunately, Nissan didn't allow some sort of 24a setting, otherwise, it would be a whole lot more versatile :)
Note I frequently charge 27.5a on a 30a outlet/breaker but I limit my charging time and the outlet and breaker do get pretty warm, it's not really suggested ;)

SageBrush said:
gbrance said:
Is it safe to use these adapters on the Nissan Supplied EVSE?
They appear to have custom connectors into the JB EVSE
Your link just takes me to a generic Amazon web page but unless they've changed something, Juicebox has always standardized on the NEMA 14-50 plug standard and as the OEM dual voltage Leaf EVSE uses the 14-50 plug, the adapters should work just fine :)
Now if Juicebox has now switched to some non-standard plug, no the adapter plugs won't work but that would be a huge step backwards for JB and something I doubt they'd do.

jjeff said:
SageBrush said:
gbrance said:
Is it safe to use these adapters on the Nissan Supplied EVSE?
They appear to have custom connectors into the JB EVSE
Your link just takes me to a generic Amazon web page but unless they've changed something, Juicebox has always standardized on the NEMA 14-50 plug standard and as the OEM dual voltage Leaf EVSE uses the 14-50 plug, the adapters should work just fine :)
Now if Juicebox has now switched to some non-standard plug, no the adapter plugs won't work but that would be a huge step backwards for JB and something I doubt they'd do.
The other end of the adapter.

I use one of these at home to plug my 50 amp RV 14-50 into my 4-wire dryer outlet. https://acworks.com/products/ev-adapter-ev1430ms-018?_pos=10&_sid=254469e36&_ss=r

But I monitor line current and keep it below 24 amps.

gYE1JDsl.jpg

Using the 240v Nissan EVSE Connected to this would be outside of 30 amp circuit design for continuous load. By code the Max continuous load on a 30 amp circuit is 24 amps. It may work but you’re pushing it.

jjeff said:
While the adapters would work, the 240v Nissan EVSE draws too much for continuous use on a 30a dryer type outlet. For a 30a outlet/breaker the maximum continuous draw by code is 24a, at 27.5a(max current the Leaf can charge at) you'd be over that. I'm guessing your Juicebox allows you to limit the charging current, like mine? Unfortunately, Nissan didn't allow some sort of 24a setting, otherwise, it would be a whole lot more versatile :)
Note I frequently charge 27.5a on a 30a outlet/breaker but I limit my charging time and the outlet and breaker do get pretty warm, it's not really suggested ;)

Yes my juice box allows me to limit the charging current.

It is unfortunate that the Nissan EVSE doesn't allow some type of Amperage limiting. Of course it would have been more useful if you could just change the amperage like you can on a Tesla by using a screen on the car.

Back