7.7 kW Wireless Charging Standard Expected To Be Adopted By January 2017

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

Via IEVS: http://insideevs.com/7-7-kw-wireless-charging-standard-expected-adopted-january-2017/

When SAE International released its “SAE TIR J2954 Wireless Power Transfer for Light-Duty Plug-In/ Electric Vehicles and Alignment Methodology” last May, we had hoped that wireless charging standards would be quickly adopted, but it seems there is still couple more years to “make it so”. According to Green Car Congress, charging level WPT 2 (or 7.7 kW) is to be approved in January (along 3.7 kW WPT 1), but commercialization is not planned to be at full swing until 2020. . . .

The SAE TIR J2954 contains a normative specification for both the vehicle and infrastructure side coils for the power level WPT 1 up to 3.7kW and informative specifications for WPT 2 to 7.7kW.

The current timing plan projects a commercial rollout of Wireless Power Transfer infrastructure by 2020. The SAE J2954 Standardization plan includes coordinated bench and vehicle testing, industry consensus work (standards documents) and three milestones from 2016-2018 in support of commercialization of wireless power transfer by 2020. . . .”

Tests of various systems (WPT 1 and WPT 2) are underway at Idaho National Lab (INL) with interoperability between them as main topic. The higher power 11 kW WPT 3 and 22 kW WPT 4 still awaits its turn.
WPT 3 and 4 are presumably European 3-phase.

Wireless charging is total waste of everything.
As soon as Tesla demonstrates automatic plug wireless system will die.
Except low power devices like phones.

Two, three, twenty, hundred vehicles is kinda ok.
But imagine 500 000 vehicles, all charging wirelessly.
Every vehicle uses 4MWh of power with plug to drive each year.
Wireless system will add 1MWh annually for every vehicle.
So 500 GWh of heat just to get rid of plugs :roll: :evil:

It is better to invest 1000$ into actuated plug, rather than 500$
on wireless EVSE + 500$ on installation of wireless receiver.

arnis said:
Wireless charging is total waste of everything.
As soon as Tesla demonstrates automatic plug wireless system will die. (snip)
If Tesla ever demonstrates reliable, low cost automatic plugs, wireless may die, but I'm not holding my breath. Given the energy savings from more cars going electric sooner thanks to wireless charging, plus the excess electricity generated by variable renewables that would otherwise have to be curtailed (barring cheap battery or other storage), IMO maximum energy efficiency is less important than higher adoption rate. The public will decide, and they invariably vote for convenience as long as the extra cost of inefficiency is affordable.

Tesla's solution might not be the cheapest one.
As an engineer (without long experience) I'm able to sketch cheap solution in my mind.

Very shortly: additional coupling underneath the vehicle (like most inductive solution).
Coupling has IP67 rated shutters that retract as soon as plug (installed on garage flood for example)
and socket push together using actuators (up to 3 axis). Mating process is coordinated with few
cheap magnets. Nothing wrong with safety as EVSE's always have RCCB protecting people.

So imagine something similar like wireless charger below Nissan Leaf
nissan_leaf_wireless_charging.jpg

Just that it has few actuators that move appropriately designed plug (J1772 needs some mods at least) into place.

Possible that 3-axis motorized plug is cheaper to make than massive coils in wireless solution.

If motorized part is installed on the floor (not in the vehicle) it must have small energy reserve for blackout removal.
(also possible to make spring loaded retractor (as soon as vehicle releases plug will come off with a bang).
If motorized part is installed in the vehicle then stationary part will be very cheap to make.

BUT.
Tesla will NOT fail with the whole autonomous vehicle fleet just because they are unable to charge vehicles autonomously :lol:

GCR:
Wireless EV charging gets a boost: Single standard will harmonize systems up to 11 kw

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...e-standard-will-harmonize-systems-up-to-11-kw

The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) on Thursday announced the first global standard for wireless electric-car charging, which could help accelerate the technology's rollout.

The standard—officially SAE J2954—applies to inductive-charging systems up to 11 kilowatts. As with existing SAE standards for other charging methods, J2954 will harmonize new systems, allowing for increased interoperability between hardware and vehicles from different manufacturers. . . .

It's taken a long time just to get to this point (the task force began its work in 2007), but that has brought the technology to the point where, with a 10-inch ground clearance, systems are achieving 94% grid-to-battery efficiency, according to an SAE press release. With additional elements outline in the J2954 standard, wireless charging also fulfills requirements for autonomous cars to charge themselves without human interaction, the SAE said.

This could be a turning point for the availability of wireless EV charging, which was hyped several years ago but was slow to catch on because of several competing standards that were only compatible (if at all) at very low power. . .

High-power wireless charging—providing the equivalent of DC fast charging, but over an air gap—is another future possibility. But this standard doesn't cover that. Although this has been primarily limited to trucks so far, earlier this year, a trial in Norway started, testing Momentum Dynamics hardware and Jaguar I-Pace taxis. . . .

With additional elements outline in the J2954 standard, wireless charging also fulfills requirements for autonomous cars to charge themselves without human interaction, the SAE said.

Hmm, maybe they should have called the standard "SkyNet."

This is a lot less creepy than Tesla's articulated arm :shock: The latter seems to have disappeared, which isn't too surprising considering its mechanical complexity, which makes Falcon Wing Doors look like models of simplicity and reliability!

Like I said years ago, wireless will not be "the way" with autonomy.
Now years later is got nowhere.

Snake charger will soon emerge, likely next year. Likely somewhat changed in design but
still weird looking. Mechanical coupling is the way.

arnis said:
Like I said years ago, wireless will not be "the way" with autonomy.
Now years later is got nowhere.

Snake charger will soon emerge, likely next year. Likely somewhat changed in design but
still weird looking. Mechanical coupling is the way.

It didn't go very far because there wasn't a standard. Now there is.

I'm curious on what information you're basing your claim that the Tesla-only snake charger "will soon energe", besides Elon's claim a few weeks back that it would be used by their robotaxis, whenever they might be allowed to operate?

GRA said:

Well then one might create a standard for a snake. Does it change anything?

Elon said it will come because it has to and he knows it. I know it. There is no other way.
Or you don't agree? Is there any OTHER way besides weird thing that plugs in itself?

arnis said:
GRA said:

Well then one might create a standard for a snake. Does it change anything?

Elon said it will come because it has to and he knows it. I know it. There is no other way.
Or you don't agree? Is there any OTHER way besides weird thing that plugs in itself?

Sure, standard wireless charging that requires nothing more than driving over it, has no moving parts and thus requires essentially no maintenance unlike the snake, and which AVs can use easily. The downside is lack of portability and higher installation costs, but those are almost certainly outweighed by lower parts and O&M costs and greater convenience, and a lack of exposure to accidents and damage.

Back