Swap On-board 3k or 6k OEM Chargers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knightmb

I did a quick google search and a forum search, but could not find anything about the subject. If anyone has a link to the already discussed subject, it would be greatly appreciated.

For those Leaf owners that are out of warranty, if an owner had a stock on-board charger fail (say the 3k or 6k model) and found one from a junk-yard Leaf of the same year, model, are there any issues doing a swap of the components or is each charger locked to the vehicle it was installed in or require Nissan to do some type of activation or programming to make it work?

knightmb said:
I did a quick google search and a forum search, but could not find anything about the subject. If anyone has a link to the already discussed subject, it would be greatly appreciated.

For those Leaf owners that are out of warranty, if an owner had a stock on-board charger fail (say the 3k or 6k model) and found one from a junk-yard Leaf of the same year, model, are there any issues doing a swap of the components or is each charger locked to the vehicle it was installed in or require Nissan to do some type of activation or programming to make it work?

While I cannot actually answer your question, the fact that it can apparently be replaced when broken (http://www.elektroautor.com/en/zoe_funktioniert_wieder/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) should mean that if you replace like for like, it should work. That is to say, if you have a 3kwh, get that, and if you have a 6kwh, get that. I would not be comfortable mixing them, especially going from the lower to the higher since who knows if the wiring can handle the more robust charger.

Thanks for the link, I thought I read somewhere that chargers were locked to battery packs by some security card, but I might be mixing that up with something else, maybe the batteries are locked to the power controller?

The only reason I ask is that totaled Leafs could become a good source of "parts" and the ones that can be swapped out plug n' play style, even better. Provided one can find a good rear in total to a Leaf instead of a front end total.

If anyone knows for certain though, please let me know. :D

knightmb said:
Thanks for the link, I thought I read somewhere that chargers were locked to battery packs by some security card, but I might be mixing that up with something else, maybe the batteries are locked to the power controller?

The only reason I ask is that totaled Leafs could become a good source of "parts" and the ones that can be swapped out plug n' play style, even better. Provided one can find a good rear in total to a Leaf instead of a front end total.

If anyone knows for certain though, please let me know. :D

The original Leaf's had 3.3's installed in the rear of the vehicle.
The 6.6 (6.0) units are installed in the front of the car.
I do not know if the new models with 3.3 chargers are front or rear, but I would replace whatever was in there with the same unit.

Might just swap the component that failed, rather than the "entire" charger.

A lot depends on what year Leaf you are considering doing this to. 2011-2012 is one style, 2013-2015 is another, where they integrated the charger with the inverter, if I recall properly. For the 2011-2012, it has been debated many times, and the short answer is NO, you cannot use the newer 6 kW charger. But, there is a good thread on adding an auxiliary Brusa 3.3 kW charger, to make a total of 6.6 kW charging capacity. If the parts are still available, I've been seriously considering the Brusa after I get my new Lizard battery.

knightmb said:
I did a quick google search and a forum search, but could not find anything
Metric Mind has an upgrade charger for 2011/12 Leafs. You can put in a 6.6kW or even a 10kW:
http://www.metricmind.com/mmc-published-bms-related-article-for-ev-tinkerers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KillaWhat said:
The original Leaf's had 3.3's installed in the rear of the vehicle.
The 6.6 (6.0) units are installed in the front of the car.
I do not know if the new models with 3.3 chargers are front or rear, but I would replace whatever was in there with the same unit.

Might just swap the component that failed, rather than the "entire" charger.
I was looking at the 2013-2015 models. It seems logical that a charger transplant should work (provided all power is safety disconnected everywhere first), just was not sure if it is really plug n' play that easy or not. I found a Youtube Video that shows a complete breakdown of the 2013 model engine from top to bottom, but which parts are charger and which are not, I am not certain.

I guess I am looking for what a Leaf tech would use if he/she was replacing a defective charger in the 2013-2015 model year leaf.

Back