Palo Alto to require EVSE wiring in new homes

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_t..._ev_charging_infrastructure_in_new_homes.html

To some, it’s a classic case of liberal big-government overreach. To city officials in Palo Alto—home to Tesla Motors and a longtime electric-vehicle hotspot—it’s common sense.

As the Palo Alto Daily News’ Jason Green reported, the Palo Alto City Council voted 9-0 last week to draw up an ordinance requiring every new single-family home to come pre-wired for electric-vehicle chargers. That means adding the necessary circuitry for residents to install a 240-volt “level 2” charging station, as opposed to simply plugging their electric cars into a standard household socket. The former is significantly faster and more efficient.

So should it be legally mandated? To conservative critics, policies like Palo Alto’s smack of “picking winners” in the technology industry, rather than letting the free market sort it out. One can imagine how angry liberals would be if some Republican city council mandated that new homes come equipped with the necessary infrastructure for a petroleum gas station in the garage.

In fact, though, residential car charging is far more feasible, given that homes already tap into the grid for electricity. Adding the wiring for electric-vehicle charging would tack on only about $200 to the cost of a new single-family home, the city’s staff estimates. In a city where the median home price tops $1.5 million, that’s a vanishingly small sum. And here’s the logic that attracted the city council: It’s much easier to pre-wire a house for electric-car charging than it is to retrofit a house once it’s built. The latter can cost four times as much, and might deter a lot of people from getting an electric car.

For a city like Palo Alto, the policy seems to make economic sense. It’s full of residents who want to be green and have money to spare, but lack the appetite for more radical environmentally friendly policies, like high-density housing or public transit infrastructure. If you’re going to keep building single-family homes, a nudge here or there to encourage those homeowners to drive electric cars seems like the least you could do to minimize the environmental impact. Besides, the city’s public charging stations are already in high demand. The proposed ordinance would offload some of the supply burden onto the city’s wealthiest new residents.

Meanwhile, as plugincars.com notes, Palo Alto’s ordinance would dovetail with a pair of pending statewide bills that would require similar pre-wiring in new businesses, shopping centers, and apartment complexes. If approved, those would help set up the state to continue to lead the world in electric-vehicle adoption. Already, sales of the pricey Tesla Model S have outstripped those of several other major luxury car makers in California. More affordable plug-in cars like the Nissan Leaf also see their greatest sales figures in California.

In the worst-case scenario for Palo Alto and California, demand for electric cars fizzles for some reason, the city and the state will be left with a bunch of charging stations that almost no one uses, and a bunch of homeowners and businesses will have wasted a few hundred bucks. In the best case, electric cars turn out to be the future, gas-guzzlers go the way of the steam locomotive, the air is spared, and California is way ahead of the rest of the country once again. If that happens, the question for local officials in a decade or two might be: What do we do with all of those obsolete gas stations?

It's nothing compared to the regulations that essentially bootstrapped this round of electric cars...and it costs next to nothing if done when the house is built.

Cool! This is a step in the right direction.

I've been wondering why we haven't had communities requiring new homes above a certain price point to come with sufficient solar to cover the home's expected usage. I would also like to see wind as well, but that seems to have other issues when it comes to placing those units into housing communities.

On the EVSE front, I'm going through the hassle now of getting a level 2 installed. Since the home was originally built with just a 100amp panel that is maxed out, I also have to upgrade the panel. If the builder was required to do it right the first time, it would have allowed the whole street to have the proper panels and an appropriate outlet for less than the cost for me to get this retrofit done on one home. :roll:

Rat said:
So should it be legally mandated? To conservative critics, policies like Palo Alto’s smack of “picking winners” in the technology industry, rather than letting the free market sort it out. One can imagine how angry liberals would be if some Republican city council mandated that new homes come equipped with the necessary infrastructure for a petroleum gas station in the garage.

I think a more appropriate analogy would be to require garages in new homes to have natural gas line connections for natural gas powered vehicles and possibly for a future natural gas-hydrogen converter station for a FCEV, since most CA homes in urban areas have access to natural gas.

DarthPuppy said:
If the builder was required to do it right the first time, it would have allowed the whole street to have the proper panels and an appropriate outlet for less than the cost for me to get this retrofit done on one home. :roll:

How old is your home? Remember that 100 amps was considered sufficient until just recently. Many older small homes still have only 60 amp service.

I have a 100-amp home, and I can use my electric oven, central air conditioner, and my EVSE, as well as everything else (lights, computers, etc) with no issue.

With appliances, computers, and light bulbs becoming continually more efficient, the general trend should be for demand in homes to decline.

I didn't even turn on my computer to read the forum and make this post because my cell phone, which uses less than 5 watts, is sufficient.

I think it's a good idea. Most panels are in the garage anyway, wouldn't be a lot of extra wiring. This way the EVSE would have to be factored in for the load calculations on the service panel when the house is built so the service won't need to be upgraded later, which can be expensive. A larger service when the house is first built on the other hand only costs a hundred dollars for the bigger wire and panel, But sometimes the utility adds a couple hundred more to connect it. Still it's a lot cheaper than upgrading later!

It's electric heat, hot water and dryer that really start to add up. I just did a 3 bedroom with electric heat hot water and dryer and the load calcs worked out to 162 amps, which would mean a 200 amp panel.. In that case a 30 amp evse would be able to be added too.

Staque said:
I have a 100-amp home, and I can use my electric oven, central air conditioner, and my EVSE, as well as everything else (lights, computers, etc) with no issue.

With appliances, computers, and light bulbs becoming continually more efficient, the general trend should be for demand in homes to decline.

I didn't even turn on my computer to read the forum and make this post because my cell phone, which uses less than 5 watts, is sufficient.

Many codes require outlets every so many feet. Who says I need an outlet every six feet? They also require houses to be connected to certain utilities if you need them or not. I think every new home should require solar pre-wire and at least LV CAT-5 to every room. :lol:

Prepare for EVSE wiring is not a big deal when most of the new homes in Palo Alto could easily get 200A capacity of panel. An extra 40A breaker and ready connected outlet box in garage or nearby would meet the requirement. There is very small difference in $ between 100A and 200A on a new home permit application. Most of new homes in Palo Alto in the past 10 yrs would have got 200A. The next level up would be considered commercial and requires additional lengthy process of review by City. City of Palo Alto continuously put in some new policy in new home development. Some of them could be just a suggestion from the review committee and it could become a common practice.

Back