SPX L2 EVSE 15A, Voltec

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

https://www.homecharging.spx.com/volt/Display.aspx?id=7&menu=14

Apparently you can buy one now ...

Voltec™ Charge Station

The Voltec™ Charge Station is a reliable, safe and easy to use Level II home charging solution. Designed with the consumer in mind, the Voltec provides the consumer with a fast charging system for their home charging needs. Indoor and outdoor rated, the Voltec’s flexible design allows it to placed in a variety of locations within a consumers residence.

Combining an ergonomic design with advanced technologies, the Voltec Charge Station performs continuous diagnostics while the vehicle is being charged..

•Self diagnostics and status indicators
•Safety features to protect customer and vehicle
•Continuous ground monitoring
•Charge current interrupting device (CCID) provides automatic self check and reclosure
•Outdoor rated
•Built in vehicle plug flashlight

To order Call: 1-877-805-EVSE(3873)
$490.00*
*Hardware only. Does not include installation.
voltec_lg.jpg

This is the one Chevy is partnering for Volt.
http://www.chevroletvoltage.com/index.php/Volt/chevrolet-volt-home-charging.html

Seems like a very capable, value priced, Level 2 EVSE. Do other manufactures offer a flashlight in the plug?

So if GM (typically the most expensive option for parts and accessories) can offer this Level 2 EVSE for $490 you have to figure the market price of these Level EVSEs will be in the $200 - $300 range shortly. I'll bet in a year, you'll find very basic units manufactured Taiwanese or Chinese in the ~$100 range.

indyflick said:
So if GM (typically the most expensive option for parts and accessories) can offer this Level 2 EVSE for $490 you have to figure the market price of these Level EVSEs will be in the $200 - $300 range shortly. I'll bet in a year, you'll find very basic units manufactured Taiwanese or Chinese in the ~$100 range.

This is not a GM offering. SPX is equivalent to Aerovironment ... an independant company which GM has partnered with.

General Specifications

• Input Voltage 208 / 240 V – 16 A (20 A circuit), single phase, 2 wire, with ground
• Output Voltage 208 / 240 V – 15 A, single phase
• Frequency 50/60 Hz
• SAE J1772 compliant
• Dimensions: 23” L x 16” W x 7” D
• Cable Length: 25ft of coiled working length (estimated)
• Operating temperatures: -40° F to +140° F, (-40° C to +60° C)
• Mounting: Wall or pedestal

Hmm... 15 amp output. While this is sufficient based on the Leaf & Volt, if on-board chargers get upgraded to support 30 amp charging this is quickly outmoded, but the price definitely looks right...

DarkStar said:
General Specifications

• Input Voltage 208 / 240 V – 16 A (20 A circuit), single phase, 2 wire, with ground
• Output Voltage 208 / 240 V – 15 A, single phase
• Frequency 50/60 Hz
• SAE J1772 compliant
• Dimensions: 23” L x 16” W x 7” D
• Cable Length: 25ft of coiled working length (estimated)
• Operating temperatures: -40° F to +140° F, (-40° C to +60° C)
• Mounting: Wall or pedestal

Hmm... 15 amp output. While this is sufficient based on the Leaf & Volt, if on-board chargers get upgraded to support 30 amp charging this is quickly outmoded, but the price definitely looks right...

Yes, It wil be and I'm looking for 7.2 kw or higher as I don't want to be locked into 3.3kw unless its a disposable $200 unit.

DarkStar said:
The SPX charge station looks even more basic and specs at 32 amps

smkettner said:
The SPX charge station looks even more basic and specs at 32 amps

pix_spx_chrg_station.jpg

• Amperage. 32Amax (Field Adjustable)
• Voltage. 95 VAC – 264 VAC
• Frequency. 50/60 Hz
• Ground Fault Trip Level. 17.5 mA (20mA Max)
• Ground Assurance. 50K ohm Max
• Operating Temperature. 35°C to »66 °C
• Storage Temperature. -40 to +85 Desgrees C Storage
• Ground Fault Test. Automatic at start-up (Firmware controlled)
• Ground Fault Retry. 4 retries @15 min. intervals (per UL 2594/UL 2231)
• Master Clear. For System Reset (Overrides Ground Fault Retry)
• Power Indication. Green LED
• Charge Status Indicators . Amber (Ready), Green (Plugged In), Green Flash (Charging) , Red Flash (Fault State)

Yep, that's more my style... I just need a price! :D

Nice find evnow.
We're getting closer to the scaled down EVSE I would like.
I'm getting the free the Blink charger. It has all this connectivity and configurability that is largely unnecessary for the LEAF since the LEAF can time the charge cycle and communicate to the user without EVSE also doing so. I realize that EVProject likes such features as part of their project monitoring and to connect with less capable vehicles but it's a total cost driver that's not needed for a LEAF owner.

For example, I own a newer set of idiot-proof jumper cables that figure out the battery polarity and which vehicle is the supplier and which is the receiver of the jump. It also includes suppression circuitry to protect sensitive logic on newer cars -- $45. There's a lot more material in those jumpers and about as much smarts as a home-EVSE needs, IMO. Based on that, I think $199 for a Level-2 EVSE is quite achievable soon.

evnow said:
indyflick said:

This is not a GM offering. SPX is equivalent to Aerovironment ... an independant company which GM has partnered with.
Right, but I thought GM would get some cut of the deal that SPX is servicing, no?

indyflick said:
Right, but I thought GM would get some cut of the deal that SPX is servicing, no?

Most probably not. Usually large companies don't take a cut from smaller "enabler" companies - infact they may negotiate for a better price to customers.

Thanks for fleshing this out for me. I haven't even had time to read the original article I posted, never mind this thread. I'll try to catch up with both later, to see if it's worthwhile considering or not.

Edit: I've just seen some pics....the coiled cord makes it a bit of a non-starter for me.

Checkout the FAQ, apparently the 120V included portable EVSE comming with the Chevy Volt can be set for 8 OR 12 amps. The last bulletin also said they will be available to order separately, and lastly, the estimated installation cost for their 240V EVSE is between $1500-2000

Wonder if you can order the unit and self install...

https://www.homecharging.spx.com/volt/Display.aspx?id=13&menu=6

mwalsh said:
I've just seen some pics....the coiled cord makes it a bit of a non-starter for me.
+1
I'm wanting to be able to park my car in the driveway, with the cord under the garage door if I want. The coiled cord makes that kind of clunky.

The 32A SPX unit just replaced the 16A Leviton as my favorite EVSE! My installation will be outdoor, mounted on the wall of a detached garage converted to a couple workrooms, so an outdoor-rated unit is essential to me. I figure the installation should be easy, run a line from the mostly unused sub-panel in the garage to an outdoor disconnect switch mounted next to or above the EVSE, hardwired in for best all-weather performance. (I don't know, but hardwiring may be required for an outdoor instalation.)

Good news! This looks to be of the first EVSEs that can be "self installed", check the warranty link below... This moves this up on many peoples lists.

https://www.homecharging.spx.com/volt/Display.aspx?id=11&menu=23

So, the 32A SPX apparently has:
1. A field-adjustable "max-current" setting, up to 32 amps.
2. The ability to work at 120v and 240v, a "universal" voltage (combo L1 and L2) EVSE.

Now, we need to know:
1. Price, how much?
2. Availability, when?
3. Is it "listed" for plug-in use?

Nice design features.
Looks like it is not too big.

Lets get one on order!

we could all contribute $20 each to a members paypal account who is getting a car in december and has no evse planned yet

let him order it up and test it out for us
as long as he/she agrees to have it installed and report
shouldnt be hard to find a volunteer

and I will fork in the first $20

Kevin

Good luck.

I just tried to order one. I was told they are not available yet, and that I would have to provide my Volt order number in order to purchase. (So now we need to know their order number structure.)

On the plus side, they were very open about it being like most any other major appliance, and that MY electrician would be able to install without any issues.

Back