Using a level 2 charger at RV park

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt0bvious

I am new to this forum and have searched the Internet far and wide for an answer and couldn't come up with anything.

My brother works at a Nissan dealership in the Seattle, WA area and can get me a much better deal on a Nissan Leaf lease compared to my local dealership. The problem is how to cheaply transfer the car from Seattle to the Boise, ID area. I'm trying to figure out how to drive the car the 400+ miles and recharge at various level 2 stations along the way. The problem with this plan is a stretch between the Tri Cities, WA and and Ontario, Or. There are no dedicated charging stations. There are many RV parks. Since I will have the level 2 6.6 kW Onboard Charger that comes with the Leaf SV, I thought I could use this to charge at a few RV parks on the way.

The problem is the various connectors. I've read the level 2 charger uses a NEMA 6-50 plug, but RV parks use NEMA 14-50 outlets. I've looked on various website that sell adapters and can't find any 6-50 to 14-50 adapters. Is this even possible (I have a basic understanding of electrical)? Modifying the trickle charger others have proposed isn't feasible as I would be leasing the vehicle.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. I really don't want to spend the $500 renting a truck and trailer to drive it home, but I might have to.

Is the 6-50 plug moulded on or removable? If removable just get a 14-50 replacement. Connect the two hots and ground leaving neutral unconnected.

Or buy a 14-50 appliance cord and 6-50 connector and assemble same.

Or keep searching adapters, somebody will be selling it to you.

From Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Hobart-770674-Adapter-Cord/sim/B003J8NMF0/2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Currently $52.34 (free shipping)

"From the Manufacturer: Adapter Cord - NEMA 14-50P to NEMA 6-50R, 1.5’ heavy duty 8/3 STW cord adapts a generator or welder+generator with a 230V 14-50 receptacle to a welder or plasma cutter with a 230V 6-50 plug. Receptacle end is lighted when power is on. 250V 40A 10000W".

Am I mistaken that the new level 2 chargers that come with the Leaf has a 6-50 plug? Can I swap out that plug on a leased unit and not void my lease?

MikeD, I've seen this during my search, but this plug is going the wrong way. I need a 6-50 (female) to 14-50 (male) adapter.

Capt0bvious said:
Am I mistaken that the new level 2 chargers that come with the Leaf has a 6-50 plug? Can I swap out that plug on a leased unit and not void my lease?

MikeD, I've seen this during my search, but this plug is going the wrong way. I need a 6-50 (female) to 14-50 (male) adapter.

I think you are mistaken as the LEAF does not come with a Level 2 charger. It does come with a Level 1 charger that you can send to EVSEUpgrade.com and have them upgrade to Level2. If you just swap the plug out you'll be buying a new EVSE as it will damage it. http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=faq_info&fcPath=4&faqs_id=24" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Reread the description on the item MikeD linked to. "NEMA 14-50P to NEMA 6-50R"
That means it has a 14-50 plug to plug in to the RV park and a 6-50 receptacle to plug your EVSE into.

OK, we need some terminology to make your situation clearer.

The On-Board Charger (OBC) is under the hood and can't be directly plugged into an electric outlet. It requires an Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE) to function. An EVSE connects to the regular electric service and has the J1772 plug (looks a little like a gas nozzle) that the car needs to plug in.

The good news is that the car also comes with an EVSE in a cute little backpack. The bad news is that the EVSE that comes with the car is only good for 120v, it you try to just change the plug on this, it will blow up. But there's more good news. It can be upgraded by http://EVSEUpgrade.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for 120v/240v operation, and those folks also sell various adapters, including the one you would need for the RV park. The rub for you is that you normally send yours in and wait for it to be upgraded and returned, and you don't own one yet...But there are ways.

1. Use their advanced replacement program. They send you an upgraded one in advance, and you send your original in once you receive the upgrade. In addition to the normal price, you pay a refundable deposit, plus a fee for the convenience. This will be tricky because they normally expect you to send it back immediately, and you can't send one back until you take delivery of the car. I'd email them and see if they can accommodate your schedule.

1a. Since your brother works for the dealership, maybe he can finagle a way to send the EVSE you don't quite own yet in ahead of time. Then you can wait to get the upgraded unit back, then take delivery.

2. Borrow an upgraded unit from a local who doesn't use his on a daily basis. If you look around chances are fair that some Boise MNL member might come to your assistance.

3. If you're planning to install a wall mount EVSE at your house, go ahead and buy it now. If it's a hardwired model, fit the 14-50 cord and plug the RV parks use to it on a temporary basis. You can buy the cord you need fairly cheaply at any hardware store. If it's a plug model, you can either replace the cord temporarily, or make an adapter from the 14-50 the RV park uses to the 6-50 most EVSEs come with. Then haul the suddenly "portable" unit along for the trip.

Be sure to call the RV parks in advance and make sure they will let you charge your car. Most will, but some won't. Also, make sure they have "50amp" service. The RV terminology is "30amp" which is only 120v, and "50amp" which is the 240v service you need. If you ask for 240v, they may not know what you mean, since RVs usually use the 50amp service as two 120v circuits instead of as one 240v circuit.

If all this sounds like too much work, you can always pay a shipper to deliver the car to you.

Capt0bvious said:

NO! LEAF comes with 120v L1 evse. DO NOT put a 240v plug on it.

The amazon link is a good adapter at a good price. "Adapter Cord - NEMA 14-50P to NEMA 6-50R" P=plug, R=receptacle

You will need an aftermarket evse that actually comes oem with 6-50p.

You'll need to have the cord supplied with the car updated to handle 240 VAC before plugging into a 50 amp service at an RV park. See http://www.evseupgrade.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for more info (Ingineer is on this forum and is a wealth of info/assistance to everyone here).

Frankly, I think spending the extra $500 to ship the car is very much worth it. Or maybe you can get your Boise dealer to compete base on your ability to buy in Seattle. Traveling out here in the sticks can be a real problem. If you decide to do it, you'll need the EVSEUpgrade ($350 I think), plus several days of travel. You'll end up paying more than $500 for the trip, plus all of your time. It's a nice vacation (see signature line), but you'll probably end up taking three days, maybe four. With the upgrade, you'll require at least 3-4 hours to fill the battery (7-8 hr if you only upgrade to 3.3/3.8 KW, or the worst case 21 hr if you don't upgrade and use a 30 amp 120 VAC service). Plus you need to convince the RV park that you just want to charge. Unless you plan on staying the night and paying the $35-50 night charge, many may not let you charge. I've contacted about ten RV parks around the area and only 2-3 allow EV charging. Good luck with your decision, but make sure you contact the RV parks directly and get approval to charge BEFORE starting on you trip.

With DCQC and a 6 KW charger, you can probably get to the Tri-Cities in about 12 hours. Spend the night, then 70-80 mi to Pendleton is possible, but only if you drive slow (big hill on I-82). There are several RV parks showing in Pendleton, but you'll need a charge at La Grande to make it to Baker City (again some huge hills on I-84 will really suck the battery). Since that's about 180 mi, you will probably want to spend the night in Baker City. Then 75 mi through some very desolate country to Ontario. Hmmm, you've got guts. That will make the Hanford Reservation look like a picnic. Last leg into Boise at 60 mi should be pretty easy.

So, this trip is possible if you can confirm charging at RV parks in Pendleton, La Grande, Baker City, and Ontario. For faster charging you'll need the EVSEUpgrade and 50 amp RV service (30 amp service is only 120 V and your car won't use it all). Get confirmations and pricing. Alternatively, you can spend the night at a hotel using an 10 ga or 12 ga extension cord and the L1. Again, if you do this you'll need the same stops (so 4-5 days) and I strongly suggest calling the hotel/motel in advance.

Most people over here don't know anything about EVs, and what they think they know is all wrong (e.g., it will fry the grid, increase my electric bill by $100's, generate more pollution, etc.). Be prepared, read this forum for travel tips (see TonyWilliam's BC-2-BC 2012 trip), and you'll have a chance. Oh, and be prepared to talk yourself horse at every charging location. People are very interested when they see you charging, otherwise the Leaf looks like any other gas car.

If you think it will be just like driving a gas car on a long trip, then well forget it. You'll be very disappointed. Good luck with your decision and let us know.

We've accommodated people doing this many times. Many larger-volume LEAF dealers already maintain a stock of our upgraded units, so he might already have one, which is where the confusion of "240V unit comes with the car" comes from. Many dealers choose to include it with the sale, as it helps close the deal and give their customers an easy charging solution with minimal hassle. If he does already have an upgraded unit, then all you need is the NEMA 14-50 adapter. If he doesn't have an upgraded unit already, The easiest solution is to place an order on our site, then have your brother pull the EVSE out of the car and send it to us. It only takes 2 days normal shipping to get here from Seattle, and we usually turn them around same-day, so if he ships on a Monday, it'll be back on a Friday. If your car isn't at the dealer yet, he can probably pull one from a demo vehicle and then swap when yours arrives.

You need to order the following items:
EVSE Upgrade for 2013 Nissan LEAF (high-power)
5-15 to L6-30 Adapter - For charging on standard 120V outlets
14-50 to L6-30 Adapter - For charging on RV park/range outlets

Have a NEMA L6-30 240 volt outlet installed in your garage (usually nominal cost), then when you get home, you'll be all set for level 2 charging. The upgraded unit will be able to fully charge your LEAF in 3-5 hours at the RV parks on your way home. (when used on a NEMA 14-50 outlet)

-Phil

Capt0bvious said:

Wait, you're planning on leasing in Seattle, driving/shipping to Boise, then returning it back to Seattle at the end of the lease? Boy that brother of yours must be giving you a really good deal.

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I assumed when it states it comes with a 6.6kW onboard charger, you actually got the level 2 charger. However, if I buy the level 2 charger for my garage, Areovironment makes a model that plugs into the 6-50 outlet I mentioned, which is where I originally got my thought I could get an adapter for convert it from 6-50 to 14-50 (50amp) to use at a RV park

http://evsolutions.avinc.com/uploads/products/NNA_AV_EVSE-RS-PI_Nissan_sales_sheets_041812_FINAL.pdf

One other reason, besides cost of shipping, I wanted to drive it the 400 miles was to prove to my friends you could take it that distance with a little planning and patients. Doesn't sound like its very feasible yet due to the lack of some rural towns infrastructure.

Capt0bvious said:
Thanks for the feedback. I guess I assumed when it states it comes with a 6.6kW onboard charger, you actually got the level 2 charger. However, if I buy the level 2 charger for my garage, Areovironment makes a model that plugs into the 6-50 outlet I mentioned, which is where I originally got my thought I could get an adapter for convert it from 6-50 to 14-50 (50amp) to use at a RV park

http://evsolutions.avinc.com/uploads/products/NNA_AV_EVSE-RS-PI_Nissan_sales_sheets_041812_FINAL.pdf

One other reason, besides cost of shipping, I wanted to drive it the 400 miles was to prove to my friends you could take it that distance with a little planning and patients. Doesn't sound like its very feasible yet due to the lack of some rural towns infrastructure.
This would work, though the AV unit is not made to be portable, so you'd need to be careful not to drop it. Also, the input cord is really short, so you'd need a way to support the EVSE unit during charging, as it's too heavy to hang it by it's cord.

Also, since the AV cannot be adjusted for lower output, you would not be able to use lower-power outlets, such as the one I mentioned above that's common in hotel rooms. The AV unit would trip the breaker. Our unit can be adjusted to charge slower on smaller outlets, so as to not trip the breaker. You could set the upgraded unit to 16A for safe use on the 20A hotel A/C outlet, and your car would still be finished in under 7 hours. 120V charging is simply not practical, as it can take around 20 hours if your LEAF is depleted.

-Phil

Capt0bvious said:
... However, if I buy the level 2 charger for my garage, Areovironment makes a model that plugs into the 6-50 outlet I mentioned, which is where I originally got my thought I could get an adapter for convert it from 6-50 to 14-50 (50amp) to use at a RV park

http://evsolutions.avinc.com/uploads/products/NNA_AV_EVSE-RS-PI_Nissan_sales_sheets_041812_FINAL.pdf. ...
Yes, that will work. You should be able to get everything you need at the hardware store.

Reddy said:
Wait, you're planning on leasing in Seattle, driving/shipping to Boise, then returning it back to Seattle at the end of the lease? Boy that brother of yours must be giving you a really good deal.
He has no need to return it to Seattle just for the lease return. Any Nissan dealer can do that.

Reddy,
I can't post the figure, but it is worth it compared to what the local dealership is offering.

Phil,
Thank you for your tips. If I purchased the AV unit with the 6-50 plug, I could use it for the 50amp RV park outlets if I had adapter made that is long enough (maybe 72 inches) so I could have enough length to have the unit protected.

I've looked through the CarStations website and has some great info on how to plan for such a long trip. Since I've only test drove the leaf, how many miles should I expect driving in Eco mode, driving 55mph? I'm guessing somewhere between 60-80 miles.

This has been a great discussion, I've learned more on here than the rest of the Internet combined. Thank you.

Capt0bvious said:
... I've looked through the CarStations website and has some great info on how to plan for such a long trip. Since I've only test drove the leaf, how many miles should I expect driving in Eco mode, driving 55mph? I'm guessing somewhere between 60-80 miles. ...
You need the LEAF Range Chart. It will help you plan your trip, and keep track of how you're doing as you go to make sure you will make your charging points. If you check it, you will see that 55mph should yield 89 miles of range. Note that that's at 70 degrees, no wind, no heat or AC, and you will end up with a completely empty car dead at the side of the road...so take 5 or 10 miles (or 20 depending on your comfort level) off of that for planning purposes. And make sure you have alternate charging locations mapped out just in case there are unforeseen problems that cause you to be short of your goal, or you run into a full RV park.

Print out the chart and keep it in the car. You can keep track of your bars and your miles per kWh reading as you go to track whether you are still on target. Always remember it's better to slow down SOONER, and find you didn't need to than run short and then find you can't make it.

Capt0bvious said:

Refer to the post about what a charger is and what a EVSE is. It does come with a 6.6kw onboard charger. That charger needs an EVSE though and the one included in the car is only L1.

You can return the car to any Nissan dealership not just the one you bought from.

I think it'll be a fun drive! Print the range chart as others have said and plan your trip and charging based on that.

Capt0bvious said:
Reddy,
I can't post the figure, but it is worth it compared to what the local dealership is offering.

Phil,
Thank you for your tips. If I purchased the AV unit with the 6-50 plug, I could use it for the 50amp RV park outlets if I had adapter made that is long enough (maybe 72 inches) so I could have enough length to have the unit protected.

I've looked through the CarStations website and has some great info on how to plan for such a long trip. Since I've only test drove the leaf, how many miles should I expect driving in Eco mode, driving 55mph? I'm guessing somewhere between 60-80 miles.

This has been a great discussion, I've learned more on here than the rest of the Internet combined. Thank you.
This forum is the "Internet Combined", but on technosteroids. :lol: Check out TonyWilliams' range chart. A new Leaf should easily get you 80-90 mi at 55 mph. But remember, the hills, headwinds, low temperature, and rain are killers on the range. If you're buying/traveling now, you've got a chance. FYI, I made it 80 mi from the Yakima Nissan dealership to the Tri-Cities using 11 bars driving ~65 mph (downhill and tailwind). Read my signature for my long trip experience. The trip through eastern Oregon is doable, but you need to prearrange those charging stops. TC to Pendleton (75 mi) might be tough due to 1200ft elevation gain, but you can top up in South Kennewick. Next leg to La Grande (52 mi) will probably use everything you got due to the hills. In any case, you'd better be ready to run on "sparks" because you'll be running it down past LBW and probably VLBW multiple times in some pretty desolate country. Don't hesitate to ask for help along the way, even an hour of begged L1 can get you out of a jam. Let me know if you're coming this way and we can meet up.

Back