caross
Delivery Date: 26 May 2013
Leaf Number: 406569

Re: EVSE options for 2013 Leaf

Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:57 am

KillaWhat wrote:I have a Nissan labelled Aeronvironment EVSE, and one of the not brand new model Blink's.
(and an EVSE upgraded to Level 2)

The new Blink / Bosch / Delta units look really nice, but no performance data available yet.
The price sure is right.
I prefer the look of the Blink version of the new unit.
If I were starting from scratch, I'd get one of the New Blinks, and an EVSE upgrade.

As far as your PV array, and setting charging timers for during sunlight, I assume that you are "grid Tied" and that shouldn't make charge time as relevant.

I'd love to see the solar install sometime.
I'm dying to do one (didn't want to do it the same tax year as the Car :roll: )
And was hoping PA would "find" their subsidy funds again.
Here is a shot of the roof. It is a 6.6kW system with 26 Yingli Solar YL 235 P-29b panels.

We are using a SMA SunnyBoy Inverter,

And they have a pretty decent Web Interface as well.

If you are looking to do an installation I can recommend our crew. They were very professional, clean, and cost competitive. The company was called Eclipse Solar and they are out of DE. They service pretty much the whole NE. PM me if you want a point of contact.
2013 Leaf : SL : Silver / Black

caross

Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:00 am

QueenBee wrote:
caross wrote:It was my understanding that Level 2 EVSE was in the range of 4hrs for a 2013 Leaf - so I suppose that would be my charging time. I have already figured out how to have the Leaf "charging timer" set for when "the sun is on" :)
You have TOU metering out there? I assume you have net metering right?

We don't here but with or without I think the optimal charge timer setting is to charge at night so that the car completes before you need it and before peak power usage. By charging during outside peak times you can optimize your impact on the grid. The idea being that the grid's base generation is greener than what is needed to handle peak loads.

By using just an end timer you also keep the battery at an average lower SOC which helps with degradation caused by storing the batteries at a high SOC.

Yes, we are tied to the grid, so it really does not matter on the times... purely a mental thing for me. I feel like if I am charging during peak solar times I'm "buying local". :)

dm33
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:52 pm

I'm planning to install a 14-50 outlet with a new 40A circuit in the garage and plug in some EVSE. Ideally the EVSE will cover the outlet as an added safety measure for my young kids.

I'd welcome suggestions on the available L2 EVSEs. I have a 2013 Leaf with the 6.6kw charger.
  • Blink - Sounds like there isn't one available. Going to be available in the summer. No details on pricing other than starting at $699.
  • Bosch - Going to be available in June sometime (this month). Starts at $450 but gets comparable to others with the longer cord and 30A. I haven't been able to find more details.
  • Siemens Versicharge $850 20' cord.
  • GE Watt station $850 16' cord. This unit looks large in the picture and may be hard to fit where I'd like under a cabinet.
Those are the ones so far that I think can plug into an outlet or don't say.
Any recommendations? What do you look for? Why are these so expensive when they seem like glorified switches? I'm sure prices will drop dramatically as these become more mainstream. For these sorts of prices I wish they'd connect WiFi and tell me all sorts of stats about how the charge is going.

caross

Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:08 am

With the help of my electrician, and this crew... I made a choice:

Siemens VC30BLKR Versicharge 30-Amp Rear Fed Electric Vehicle Charger!

Installed next week.

altoklez
Delivery Date: 27 May 2013
Leaf Number: 406638

Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:25 pm

So I looked at the page for the Blink $699 hasn't been released yet EVSE. They say it includes a $100 credit for public charging. The fine print says:

"*Your $100 Blink Network credit can be used on any publicly accessible Blink charger and is valid for six months from the time of activation."

Is that in anyway realistic to use $100 of public charging in 6 months?

:?:

davewill

Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:37 pm

altoklez wrote:... Is that in anyway realistic to use $100 of public charging in 6 months? ...
Well, since Blink's new price for DCQC has been announced at $5 per charge event, you could do it by quick charging 3-4 times per month.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

smkettner
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014

Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:49 pm

dm33 wrote:I'm planning to install a 14-50 outlet with a new 40A circuit in the garage and plug in some EVSE. Ideally the EVSE will cover the outlet as an added safety measure for my young kids.

I'd welcome suggestions on the available L2 EVSEs. I have a 2013 Leaf with the 6.6kw charger.
  • Blink - Sounds like there isn't one available. Going to be available in the summer. No details on pricing other than starting at $699.
  • Bosch - Going to be available in June sometime (this month). Starts at $450 but gets comparable to others with the longer cord and 30A. I haven't been able to find more details.
  • Siemens Versicharge $850 20' cord.
  • GE Watt station $850 16' cord. This unit looks large in the picture and may be hard to fit where I'd like under a cabinet.
Those are the ones so far that I think can plug into an outlet or don't say.
Any recommendations? What do you look for? Why are these so expensive when they seem like glorified switches? I'm sure prices will drop dramatically as these become more mainstream. For these sorts of prices I wish they'd connect WiFi and tell me all sorts of stats about how the charge is going.
I think the plug in models come with a 6-50 plug so you may as well match to spec. No neutral is needed.
If I was pulling wire to a 50a outlet it would be 50a wire and 50a breaker.
I am partial to Leviton and Schneider. Possibly Clipper Creek.
Yes we have been waiting over 2 years and prices have barely budged.
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV
RAV4 traded in for I-Pace Dec 2018

loomis2
Delivery Date: 16 Jun 2013
Leaf Number: 409148

Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:56 am

Hey guys, I just got a 2013 Leaf yesterday and this is my first post in these forums and my first question...

I bought the Siemens 30a Versicharger from Amazon and it arrives tomorrow. My question is do I set the charger to the MAX setting or do I set it to say, 75% since the charger puts out more amps than the Leaf requires? I am not sure if that would damage the batteries or charger in the Leaf and I am having a hard time finding the info. You would think there would be a Leaf settings page on Siemens website or something to make this easy. Thanks!
'13 Red SL bought on Father's Day 2013
Siemens 240 volt charger
'18 Honda Clarity PHEV Touring Black
'16 Cadillac ELR Black with Kona

MikeD
Delivery Date: 12 May 2011
Leaf Number: 592

Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:22 pm

loomis2: The Leaf's on-board charger should not draw more current than it can handle, so it doesn't matter whether you have the 3.3kW or 6.6kW on-board charger (or what is the maximum charging rate of the EVSE). An EVSE signals to the on-board charger the maximum charging rate it can deliver, and the charger should draw its current accordingly to not exceed that (or its own limitations).

I think dialing the VersiCharger "maximum charging rate" down is only intended if it is calculated that your service can't handle a full 30a charging session along with all of the other household loads that may be on -- regardless the Install Manual requires a 40a circuit breaker (just in case the VersiCharge begins to allow 30a charging in the future either inadvertently or perhaps because the homeowner dials the charging rate back up).
Last edited by MikeD on Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GlennD
Delivery Date: 20 May 2013
Leaf Number: 410357

Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:26 pm

The EVSE tells the charger in the car what it can supply. The charger only takes what it needs. My 2012 Leaf only has a 16A charger and that is all it will draw. It does not matter what the EVSE has available. It could be Tony's 75A EVSE but it still only would take 16A.
:
2013 Pearl White SL Premium
Traded for a Cirrus White 2014 Mercedes B (totaled)
2016 Urano Gray eGolf SEL w/ drive assist
Loved the VW but it sat too low for my old body
Back to a Cirrus White 2017 B250e
White Ioniq limited.It sits just fine

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”