Electrify America Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
danrjones said:
paulgipe said:
Coso Junction, CA

ABB dispensers.

Paul

Thanks! Too bad I cannot remember which has been the trouble maker for EA.

Good news though for you Paul, is that the new v3 Inyokern Tesla station is almost done.
Its amazing how much faster Tesla seems to cut through red tape and get their stations running compared to EA, Chargepoint, etc

So with Elon's impending plan to open of the network, you should be able to charge in Inyokern.
At whatever price Elon chooses for you.... it seems like higher prices for slower charging is the plan.
I could see Tesla charging $1 per kWh or more. That's still "opening" their network!

Ok, sarcasm aside, even having them as an emergency backup would be great, even if they charge high prices.
That really would give me a lot of peace of mind.

Me too Dan. On the road I don't care about price. Never did with the gasser either. I'll pay whatever Elon wants to get access to the Superchargers. ;)

Paul

SOMEBODY is putting in about ten new charging stations at the Tesla lot in Brattleboro VT, with luck NOT Tesla Superchargers because there are already ten or so of them and there have NEVER been more than one or two Teslas there..... I am hoping it will be ChadeMo/CCS. But they are jumping right on it!

SageBrush said:
paulgipe said:
Coso Junction, CA

I'm confused by the sticker. What is the Max load ?

The ABB chargers I've seen at EA stations are all capable of 350kW (well almost, as shown by the max. output on the placard: 920V * 350A = 322kW), but some are stickered by EA as 150kW. I assume it's just a matter of what 's supplied to each charger. Each charger has two connectors i.e. DC outputs 1 & 2, but only one can be used at a time.

GRA said:
SageBrush said:
paulgipe said:
Coso Junction, CA

The ABB chargers I've seen at EA stations are all capable of 350kW (as shown by the placard), but some are stickered by EA as 150kW. I assume it's just a matter of what's supplied to each charger.
I was asking about the station infrastructure, not the individual cabinets.

A cabinet's output is limited to 350 'Amps, but voltage is supported up to 1000 volts.
A 400v system car able to accept 350 Amps which starts to limit Amps at ~ 50% SoC (and therefore about 360 Volts) will show peak charging of ~ 350*0.36 = 125 kW

SageBrush said:
GRA said:
SageBrush said:

The ABB chargers I've seen at EA stations are all capable of 350kW (as shown by the placard), but some are stickered by EA as 150kW. I assume it's just a matter of what's supplied to each charger.
I was asking about the station infrastructure, not the individual cabinets.

A cabinet's output is limited to 350 'Amps, but voltage is supported up to 1000 volts.
A 400v system car able to accept 350 Amps which starts to limit Amps at ~ 50% SoC (and therefore about 360 Volts) will show peak charging of ~ 350*0.36 = 125 kW

Uh, what about the station infrastructure? I added some more detail to my previous post while you were writing yours, so maybe that will answer your question. I've never cared for the use of kW' rather than amps when rating chargers, but we're probably stuck with it. I'm assuming this is a standard 4 charger EA station, so 2 x '350kW' + 1 x '150kW' CCS, + 1 x '150kW' CCS/'50kW' CHAdeMO.

GRA said:
Uh, what about the station infrastructure? I'm assuming this is a standard 4 charger EA station, so 2 x '350kW' + 1 x '150kW' CCS, + 1 x '150kW' CCS/'50kW' CHAdeMO.
That would be 1000 kW Max load ?
I realize that no cabinet is going to output 1000 V but the theoretical load has to be respected in the wiring. The station input is 480volts, which I think implies 2,000 Amp infrastructure. :shock:

Unless the cabinets have some sort of sharing agreement.

SageBrush said:
paulgipe said:
Coso Junction, CA

That's an ABB Terra 175. 175kW peak. 350A. One cabinet to one dispenser feeding one car. Like all EA equipment the dispenser has two connectors but only one can be used at a time.

https://www.evchargesolutions.com/ABB-Terra-HP-175-DC-Fast-Charging-Station-p/abb-ter-hp-175-dcfc.htm

ABB also does a 350kW that will do 500A, two cabinets to one dispenser feeding one car.

https://www.evchargesolutions.com/ABB-Terra-HP-350-DC-Fast-Charging-Station-p/abb-ter-hp-350-dcfc.htm

dmacarthur said:
SOMEBODY is putting in about ten new charging stations at the Tesla lot in Brattleboro VT, with luck NOT Tesla Superchargers because there are already ten or so of them and there have NEVER been more than one or two Teslas there..... I am hoping it will be ChadeMo/CCS. But they are jumping right on it!

Very interesting. I don't think EA is planning on Brattleboro chargers in the immediate future. Their focus is the Boston-Montreal Corridor, and they haven't even broken ground yet in Colchester. Maybe it is EVgo, as part of their 2,700 new locations? They already have a charger in Brattleboro, but it is a one-off charger limited to 50kW. We can dream, anyway.

I think I mentioned this before, and can't remember what someone said.
But in some cases Tesla is getting rid of their V2s where they open V3s.

How much of the infrastructure could be ported over to another brand if they sold a 4 stall V2 station?

Now is where I relate this to EA ->

As a slightly close to home example, Inyokern next to me.
There is an old V2 4 stall setup, and with the 12 stall V3 almost done, couldn't EA buy that old station and convert?
(I have no idea what Tesla will actually do, close it, leave it open, or what)

So hypothetically speaking, What modifications would EA have to do if they bought a 4 stall Tesla V2 station?
The old Tesla V2 were 150 kW with shared cabinets, correct? So couldn't that support 4 EA 150 kW (shared)?
I would think the underground wiring would stay the same, transformers stay the same, but the kiosks swapped?

Also noticed Essex CA is still coming "soon" on I-40.

danrjones said:
GRA said:
Chico, CA is open.

Also, there's a new infill "Coming soon" site on I-15 in Primm, NV, between Baker and Las Vegas.

Not seeing this on plugshare.

Probably too early to be on Plugshare yet, as I imagine they're a ways from construction. It's on the EA map: https://www.electrifyamerica.com/locate-charger/

BTW, although I got a text notification that Port Orchard is open, a check-in by Robert D on Plugshare yesterday says the following:
THIS IS THE 3rd TIME I have received text notification that a new station is open when it is not. Barriers, porta potty, and a tech actively working on the units prevent using the stations. Please...FIX YOUR NOTIFICATION PROTOCOLS!!! -- checkin created before location officially marked open

DougWantsALeaf said:
Skokie Illinois location at Old Orchard is now open.

I do have to say the app when swiped in front of the sensor worked flawlessly and was up in running in seconds.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oW8KJ2ejX4JirdgrSp5Jobhy797k4tV_/view?usp=drivesdk

At some point in the last week or so, EA finally updated their map. Totals at that time were 673 open/136 Coming soon, an increase of just 8 open from last month. They were forecasting they'd have 800 open by the end of this year, but it's been obvious for several months they weren't going to make that.

Back