Electrify America Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WetEV said:
Here is a "coming soon" to watch.

Kroger Smiths 180 (Gillette, WY)

906 Camel Drive AKA EV, WY 82716

And this:

Walmart 2138 (West Lebanon, NH)

285 PLAINFIELD RD, NH 03784

And this:

Albertsons Shaws 0615 (Colchester, VT)

66 Mountain View, VT 05446

As for Gillette, the nearest existing site is 300 miles away in Loveland, CO, so they'll need some more "Coming soon" sites to be opened before it can be reached.

Another new "Coming soon" site, albeit infill rather than expansion, is on 101 in Atascadero (actually closer to Templeton) at

2050-2300 El Camino Real, Atascadero, CA 93422

between S.R.'s 41 and 46. This is between existing U.S. 101 sites in Paso Robles and Pismo Beach, enabling a smaller reserve when coming south from Salinas or Greenfield. It also makes it easier to do the 1-101 loop from Monterey to San Simeon on 1 and back up on 101, or vice-versa.

GRA said:
As for Gillette, the nearest existing site is 300 miles away in Loveland, CO, so they'll need some more "Coming soon" sites to be opened before it can be reached.

There is a HD dealer closer. 141 miles away in Rapid City.

https://www.plugshare.com/location/232814

Actually two. In Cheyenne, WY, just 246 miles away.

https://www.plugshare.com/location/203849

Of course, both are 24kW. ;)

IEVS:
Electrify America Will Begin to phase out CHAdeMO In 2022

https://insideevs.com/news/522882/electrify-america-ends-chademo-installations/

Beginning in 2022, the EV charging infrastructure giant will focus solely on CCS outside of California
The writing has been on the wall for a while now, and Nissan's decision to transition from CHAdeMO to CCS for the upcoming Ariya was seen by many as the final blow for the once-dominant DC fast charging standard in North America and Europe.

We now learn that buried deep on page 46 of Electrify America's Cycle 3 ZEV National Investment Plan (the EA National Investment Plan is used for the entire US except California) the company explains it will no longer install CHAdeMO connectors on its charging stations, beginning in January of 2022 (the beginning of Cycle 3).

However, on page 50 of its California Cycle 3 ZEV Investment plan, Electrify America explains that although CHAdeMO usage accounts for only 7% of network utilization in California, they will continue to install CHAdeMO plugs. Although it does say that Electrify America "will continue to monitor the evolving field to determine the best mix of connectors and technology to deploy."

We imagine that the network would prefer to drop CHAdeMO entirely, but the California Air Resource Board (CARB) most likely won't allow them to. CARB oversees Electrify America's plan in California, and the EPA oversees the National plan. Our sources at Electrify America tell us that overall, only 5% of all energy dispensed on the Electrify America network is from CHAdeMO connectors.

From Electrify America's Cycle 3 National Investment Plan:

In recent years, the automotive industry has converged on CCS as the non-proprietary standard of choice for vehicles in the U.S. Nissan, the last BEV manufacturer producing CHAdeMO vehicles for the North American market, has announced that the upcoming Ariya will use CCS charging (Goodwin, 2020).

As sales of all new BEVs shift to CCS, Electrify America forecasts that over 90% of the non-Tesla BEVs in operation will use CCS by 2025. Electrify America is already seeing this shift at our stations. CHAdeMO usage (including Tesla via CHAdeMO adapter) accounted for just 9% of station usage in the first quarter of 2021, down from 15% in 2019, despite CHAdeMO chargers making up over 20% of all DCFC equipment at our stations.

In addition, whereas historically a CHAdeMO adapter was the only way to fast charge Tesla vehicles outside of the Supercharger network, in late-2020 Setec Power released a CCS to Tesla adapter (Moloughney, 2020), thereby unlocking CCS chargers to interested Tesla drivers.

Through Cycles 1 and 2, Electrify America will have built over 800 CHAdeMO stations across the country. Together with nearly 5,000 chargers built by other networks, legacy CHAdeMO drivers have access to a robust charging network. At the time of writing, the ratio of CHAdeMO vehicles in operation to CHAdeMO DCFC is just 22:1.

Given this, Electrify America will focus its Cycle 3 investment on the future of electrification and deploy CCS as the non-proprietary standard at our stations. This action helps to reinforce the automotive manufacturers’ convergence on a single standard, reduces customer confusion, reduces capital and operating costs, and ultimately is expected to lead to increased EV adoption. . . .

The move shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone following the EV industry. Nissan was the only EV maker to sell CHAdeMO equipped vehicles in North America in any real volume. Mitsubishi has the Outlander PHEV that still uses CHAdeMO, and Kia used to sell the Soul EV here, which had a CHAdeMO inlet, but they no longer import it here. Kia has since moved to CCS for the Niro and upcoming EV6. Without Nissan's support, CHAdeMO was destined to be phased out, it was just a matter of when.

However, owners of CHAdeMO-equipped vehicles will still have the existing 800+ Electrify America charging stations that have CHAdeMO connectors, plus the many hundreds of CHAdeMO stations currently in service in the US on other EV charging networks like Blink, EVgo, ChargePoint, and more.

Personally, I think it's the right move at the right time. Beginning in 2022 very few electric vehicles sold in the US and Europe will employ CHAdeMO and it's about time the industry moves towards a single DC fast charge standard. I'm sure other networks are going to follow Electrify America's decision to end new CHAdeMO installations at some point soon. I also believe Nissan should create a CCS to CHAdeMO adapter for its legacy LEAF owners, so they aren't totally left behind.

I also believe CARB will also allow Electrify America to begin to phase out new CHAdeMO installations in California at some point during the 30-month Cycle 3 period that begins in January of 2022 and ends in July of 2024. Without any new CHAdeMO vehicles coming to market, it only makes sense to begin to focus solely on CCS. . . .

BOA CA2-144 (Placerville, CA) at 3044 Sacramento St, Placerville, CA 95667 is now live.

While there are lots of other network (CP, EVgo) sites along U.S. 50 between Sacramento and SLT, this is the only one offering 150/350kW charging east of Folsom; the others are 50kW. It's also at the junction with S.R. 49, as Auburn on I-80 will be.

At the end of July there were 647/121 sites Open/Coming soon, compared to 635/125 at the end of June, a gain of 12 open sites.

Here's the list of road trip coverage expansion or gap filler "Coming soon" sites in the west I've been or will be monitoring, and consider most important for completion:

WA: Poulsbo (S.R. 3/305/307) and/or *Port Orchard (S.R. 16/160).

CA: *Santa Maria, Goleta, Ventura (U.S. 101); Yuba City (S.R. 99/20) & *Chico (S.R. 99/32); Auburn (I-80/S.R. 49); Oceanside (I-5); Merced (S.R. 99/140); Fenner (I-40).

NV: Lovelock (I-80).

I'll add Gillette, WY once there's some practical route available to get there, or at least "Coming soon" (not including 24 kW FCs, whether at Harley Davidson dealers or elsewhere) :lol: It'll be interesting to see whether they come east from Butte or north from Loveland first, or maybe even west from Sioux Falls via Non-EA (although it appears VW is paying for them) networks.

I've submitted a couple requests before to EA to close the massive 200 mi+ gap between EA stations on I-77 from Wyethville, VA and the next nearest fast charging station heading north. Clearly there is a massive Tesla supercharger in Charleston, WV. No idea why it's taking so long. A non-Tesla vehicle if charged fully at the Wyethville location has to deteour to Gallipolis, OH for a single ChargePoint plug...which is a bit risky for a NC to OH road trip.

GRA said:
CA: Santa Maria, Goleta, Ventura (U.S. 101); Yuba City (S.R. 99/20) & Chico (S.R. 99/32); Auburn (I-80/S.R. 49); Oceanside (I-5); Merced (S.R. 99/140); Fenner (I-40).

Fenner still shows as coming soon on Plushare?

paulgipe said:
Dan,
EA took Coso off line Sunday and returned it today. I had another less than stellar experience there last Wednesday.
Paul

I saw that. Odd. EA seems to be hit or miss. I know they had to down select some of their vendors. And that Coso location actually has fairly old chargers... they sat inactive for a long time.

danrjones said:
paulgipe said:
Dan,
EA took Coso off line Sunday and returned it today. I had another less than stellar experience there last Wednesday.
Paul

I saw that. Odd. EA seems to be hit or miss. I know they had to down select some of their vendors. And that Coso location actually has fairly old chargers... they sat inactive for a long time.
Is this the location? https://www.plugshare.com/location/252237

Are the chargers in the pics the same as before and after? Too bad there are no pics of the stickers as they look like ABB.

I've used ABB EA in Gilroy: https://www.plugshare.com/location/198205.

To date, I've charged fine on the CCS side of EA chargers of these brands: BTC Power, ABB and Signet. I've not yet charged at an EA Efacec site. Someone on "TMC" claimed Efacec is rare or non-existent for EA installations on the West Coast, for some reason.

Those are the 4 EA DC FC vendors.

My friend who is waiting his Lucid sent this to me today. I am trying to find the provision, but it looks like Illinois has incentive for J1772 and Chademo stations, but not ccs. I found that curious.

Illinois offers rebates, not on electric or hybrid vehicles themselves, but on electric vehicle supply equipment (EVSE). Specifically, the state will cover 50% of the cost of charging equipment and installation with SAEJ1772 or CHAdeMo connectors. The basic rebate consists of up to $3,750 per networked single station, and $3,000 per non-networked single station.

Additionally, Illinois offers larger rebates for dual and fast charge stations. These are:

$7,500 per networked dual station
$6,000 per non-networked dual station
$15,000 per networked DC fast charge (DCFC) station
$12,500 per non-networked single station
The maximum total rebate award from the state is $50,000.

DougWantsALeaf said:
My friend who is waiting his Lucid sent this to me today. I am trying to find the provision, but it looks like Illinois has incentive for J1772 and Chademo stations, but not ccs. I found that curious.

Illinois offers rebates, not on electric or hybrid vehicles themselves, but on electric vehicle supply equipment (EVSE). Specifically, the state will cover 50% of the cost of charging equipment and installation with SAEJ1772 or CHAdeMo connectors. The basic rebate consists of up to $3,750 per networked single station, and $3,000 per non-networked single station.

Additionally, Illinois offers larger rebates for dual and fast charge stations. These are:

$7,500 per networked dual station
$6,000 per non-networked dual station
$15,000 per networked DC fast charge (DCFC) station
$12,500 per non-networked single station
The maximum total rebate award from the state is $50,000.

"dual station" implies two formats so CCS likely included but could also imply two power levels although I have never seen differing power levels on a Chademo before?

cwerdna said:
danrjones said:
paulgipe said:
Dan,
Paul

Is this the location? https://www.plugshare.com/location/252237

Are the chargers in the pics the same as before and after? Too bad there are no pics of the stickers as they look like ABB.

I've used ABB EA in Gilroy: https://www.plugshare.com/location/198205.

To date, I've charged fine on the CCS side of EA chargers of these brands: BTC Power, ABB and Signet. I've not yet charged at an EA Efacec site. Someone on "TMC" claimed Efacec is rare or non-existent for EA installations on the West Coast, for some reason.

Those are the 4 EA DC FC vendors.

Correct! And those were the chargers, as shown. I doubt they changed them out in 1 day, but I wouldn't bet my life on it. From what Paul said, it sounds like the Gas station itself was undergoing major work. Maybe SCE had to turn power off for a day or two to the whole site?

I remember Kyle from Out of Spec doing a review, but I can't remember if he had trouble with ABB and liked the Signet, or vice versa.

I thought I'd posted pics of the tags but I'll try to get to it later.

Yes, the gas station is nothing but a pile of rubble. (I hope they remove the rubble. This being California and this being the desert there's a good chance they'll just leave it.)

There was a crew there preparing the site for a new foundation. The gas pumps and canopy are still there but are fenced off.

Paul

Coso Junction, CA

RTEmagicC_20190801-EA_Coso_Junction-02.jpg.jpg

ABB dispensers.

Paul

paulgipe said:
Coso Junction, CA

ABB dispensers.

Paul

Thanks! Too bad I cannot remember which has been the trouble maker for EA.

Good news though for you Paul, is that the new v3 Inyokern Tesla station is almost done.
Its amazing how much faster Tesla seems to cut through red tape and get their stations running compared to EA, Chargepoint, etc

So with Elon's impending plan to open of the network, you should be able to charge in Inyokern.
At whatever price Elon chooses for you.... it seems like higher prices for slower charging is the plan.
I could see Tesla charging $1 per kWh or more. That's still "opening" their network!

Ok, sarcasm aside, even having them as an emergency backup would be great, even if they charge high prices.
That really would give me a lot of peace of mind.

Back