Are Adapters Safe?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derelictpi

Hi,

Newbie Leaf owner question.

Short version: Are adapters safe to use?

Longer version:

(All I could find here was about DYI adapters)

I assume that adapters are safe but as a brand new owner of an electric car I am SUPER nervous to do anything wrong.

I will be using the Nissan Level 2 charger that came with my car for home charging but bought this charger to leave in my car for emergencies/if I am somewhere and want to charge:

https://www.amazon.com/Megear-Charger-Portable-Electric-Charging/dp/B0922SKH8S/ref=sr_1_8?crid=2FXL260KUSKYH&dchild=1&keywords=megear+level+2+ev+charger&qid=1627070532&sprefix=megear+%2Caps%2C185&sr=8-8

I would like to buy this adapter so I can plug into a regular outlet if I need to:

https://www.amazon.com/MaxxHaul-80708-Dogbone-Electrical-Adapter/dp/B071G16LLP/ref=sr_1_39?dchild=1&keywords=120%2Bmale%2Bnema%2Bfemale&qid=1627062485&sr=8-39&th=1

Is that safe? I see RV owners do it all of the time but I could not find a simple yes or no answer on if it is safe to do for a Leaf/with the Meager brand.

Thank you!

so you want to use that adapter with the EVSE you bought off of Amazon? First that is a 240 volt 16 amp EVSE...don't know if will work work with 120v.

There's the question Learjet raises about 120VAC compatibility of your chosen EVSE, then I'd also raise a question about the 16A part. If you're after maximum compatibility with typical AC outlets, you should choose 12A instead of 16A (most 120VAC outlets in North America are limited to 15A).

You say a Level 2 EVSE came with your Leaf? Mine just came with a Level 1 EVSE. Maybe you're not in North America or maybe newer Leafs come with more powerful EVSEs?

In my search for the most universal EVSE (for the Leaf) I found this one:

https://www.evseadapters.com/products/12-32a-adjustable-120-240v-charger-evse-2nd-gen/

It will work with both 120VAC and 240VAC, then the current can be adjusted to any one of 12A, 16A, 24A, 32A. There is also a 40A version, but older Leafs like mine can only use up to 27.5A. With enough adapters and appropriate current settings, you can plug that EVSE into most any NEMA outlet and successfully charge your Leaf.

bobkart said:
You say a Level 2 EVSE came with your Leaf? Mine just came with a Level 1 EVSE. Maybe you're not in North America or maybe newer Leafs come with more powerful EVSEs?
Gen 2 (2018+) Leafs come with either a 120 volt L1 EVSE like all the ones before it OR an L1/L2 120/240 volt EVSE that can plug into NEMA 5-15 and 14-50. Depends on the equipment level.

It's been discussed many times. Google for site:mynissanleaf.com 30 amp nema 14-50 dryer. Leaf can pull up to 27.5 amps which would be unsafe to use on a typical 30 amp dryer circuit, hence it has a NEMA 14-50 plug, which normally should be on a 50 amp circuit.

OP's post is vague. Need more info.

cwerdna said:
Gen 2 (2018+) Leafs come with either a 120 volt L1 EVSE like all the ones before it OR an L1/L2 120/240 volt EVSE that can plug into NEMA 5-15 and 14-50. Depends on the equipment level.
Got it; thanks.

It seems like just bringing the stock EVSE in the car for emergencies is enough then. But maybe OP doesn't want to keep unplugging that one for each drive.

derelictpi said:
Hi,

Newbie Leaf owner question.

Short version: Are adapters safe to use?

Longer version:

(All I could find here was about DYI adapters)

I assume that adapters are safe but as a brand new owner of an electric car I am SUPER nervous to do anything wrong.

I will be using the Nissan Level 2 charger that came with my car for home charging but bought this charger to leave in my car for emergencies/if I am somewhere and want to charge:

https://www.amazon.com/Megear-Charger-Portable-Electric-Charging/dp/B0922SKH8S/ref=sr_1_8?crid=2FXL260KUSKYH&dchild=1&keywords=megear+level+2+ev+charger&qid=1627070532&sprefix=megear+%2Caps%2C185&sr=8-8

I would like to buy this adapter so I can plug into a regular outlet if I need to:

https://www.amazon.com/MaxxHaul-80708-Dogbone-Electrical-Adapter/dp/B071G16LLP/ref=sr_1_39?dchild=1&keywords=120%2Bmale%2Bnema%2Bfemale&qid=1627062485&sr=8-39&th=1

Is that safe? I see RV owners do it all of the time but I could not find a simple yes or no answer on if it is safe to do for a Leaf/with the Meager brand.

Thank you!
While that adapter you linked may be safe, it will NOT work with a EVSE, assuming the EVSE you linked will even work on 120v which it doesn't mention but probably will......most of its type will.
You need an adapter specifically for EVSE or EVs, a RV adapter in this case will NOT work.
See in this case you need an adapter that will put the neutral on one of the hot sides of the 14-50 and the hot on the other hot side of the 14-50. You won't find such an adapter in the normal RV places because it would NOT work for an RV, the RV wants the neutral to be where it's supposed to be, unlike an EVSE.
Note a proper EVSE/EV adapter wouldn't work for an RV either, they are wired differently for different uses. Using an EVSE/EV adapter for an RV shouldn't hurt anything either, just won't work like using an RV adapter for an EV.
You could find the proper EV adapter but it would specifically say it's for EVs and not RVs, that or make your own like I did but you really need to know what your doing or have someone who does know show you how to wire it properly.

Amazon does sell specific "EV" adapters but they generally costs several times what a similar RV adapter sells for. Does it cost the mfg more to make a "EV" adapter, NO but as EV adapters aren't as common as RV adapters they get what they want. I also feel the sellers might be thinking people with EVs might have more money to waste so they can charge more. If you look around enough you might be able to find more reasonably priced EV adapters but by far they are not as common as RV adapters, which again is why I just made mine. Note a nice 14-50r female plug will probably set you back ~$15 and a nice 120v plug with pigtail maybe $10 so both would still cost you more than an RV adapter but while the 120v end and cord would work for EV use the molded 14-50r female end is no good for EV use as it has both hots tied to each other and no easy way to separate them, they need to be separate for EV use. So for my adapter projects, I purchased several 14-50 female plugs, the nice yellow ones with a built-in handle for ease of use and several feet of 10 or 12 gauge good cord along with the appropriate plug I wanted to adapt to.

I don't know anything about Megear EVSE's, but I see a different model on Amazon that is listed as for 100-240 volts and 16 amperes (which has a NEMA 6-20 plug). Therefore, I suspect the one in the OP's link which has a NEMA 14-50 plug is strictly 240 volts. I strongly recommend that the OP keep the Nissan dual-voltage unit in the car for portable use and get a suitable 240-volt unit to keep at home. The Nissan unit is 12 amperes at 120 volts and 30 amperes at 240 volts (car will draw slightly less than 30 amperes, depending upon actual voltage) and has the appropriate adapter for use with NEMA 5-15 120V, 15A receptacle along with its NEMA 14-50 plug for 240 volts.

An alternative would be a 12-ampere EVSE with a voltage range of 100 to 240 so that it would work with any common 120- or 240-volt receptacle using a suitable adapter. An EVSE with adjustable current setting could also be used, but the current setting must be changed to be less than or equal to 80% of the receptacle rating for each use.

The EVSE OP bought is going to pull 16 Amps on each hot wire. That may be too much for home wiring unless the receptacle is rated for a 20 Amp circuit/breaker.

The problem here is not the adapter, it is the generic EVSE used on home sockets unless the EVSE Amperage can be changed by the owner AND the owner remembers to match load with circuit every time it is used.

OP: Tell us about the OEM EVSE you bought. It may make more sense to put the OEM in the car and use your generic EVSE at home. That solution though will limit your home charging to 240v*16Amps = 3.84 kW

I split off the new-topic posts to https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=32386 "Possible SCAM: 19kW level 2 charging on Nissan LEAF"

Back