DoxyLover
Delivery Date: 16 Oct 2011
Leaf Number: 9214

Re: Official California PG&E Thread

Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:30 am

Hi all.

I've skimmed this (long) thread and I'm not sure I've found the answers to my questions. I'd like to just go ahead and ask specific questions. If these are well answered in previous responses, please direct me to these. Thanks.

My Leaf is probably arriving in October (Nissan originally indicated "Month of September" but then changed it :cry: ).

My house (in San Jose) has overhead service, currently to a second-story roof, down through the wall to an integrated meter/breaker box. How would PG&E want the install of a second meter for E9B? Would they do a second drop from the pole? If not, how would the power get tapped off for the second meter?

Otherwise, assuming that I go with one meter, I'm comparing the E6 rates to E9A (I'm currently on E1). As I read the rates, E6 has lower peak rates but higher off-peak, so that EV charging would be more expensive on E6 but the rest of my consumption would probably be lower. Also, the E6 peak period to 7PM would work better than 9PM with E9A. Given that I'm currently running 200 -300% of baseline, It seems to me that E6 would work better. Does that sound reasonable?

As I understand it, once I'm on E9A and have told PG&E I have an EV, I cannot change to E6, but if I'm already on E6 when I get my Leaf, I can keep it. Could I change to E6 and then, a month later, install a charging station and keep E6?

Finally, a kicker, I'm probably going to install solar. I'm thinking of waiting until next year for that to spread out the federal tax credits. I'm thinking that with solar, it makes no sense to be on E9A due to the later peak period. I'd either want to go E6 or even stay on E1 just to chop off the higher post-baseline rates. What do you think?

If I do end up doing E6 with solar, maybe I should just bite the bullet and do the solar now? Do you know if the Ev and solar tax credits will carry over to next year if the credits happen to exceed my tax liability?

I realize that some of my questions depend of my specific situation. I'd appreciate any advice you can give.

Thanks
2011 Brilliant Silver Leaf SL
Reserved, quoted and ordered July 11, 2011
Delivered October 16, 2011 (Na. Plug-In Day)

cfl

Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:38 am

Your house is very similar to ours (size and city). The larger your solar system the better E6 is. We produce about 80% of our electricity (6MW/years, pre Leaf, no AC) with PV, and before I had a full years worth of data I calculated that the break even point would be around 10-15 full charges of the Leaf/month. After running the PV over a year by now I'm pretty sure that the break even point for us is even higher (i.e. only if we charge the Leaf more than 20 full charges/month does it make sense to switch to E9). My suggestion: go with E6 for at least a year or two after installing the PV system, then make some calculations to see if E9 would work better. E6 has another advantage: even with 120V you can charge the Leaf to 80% during off-peak, and with a 240V charger you can charge 2 -3 Leafs/night :)

Spies
Delivery Date: 10 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0255

Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:40 am

E9A or E9B is no longer mandatory so you can choose any rate you are eligible for. Keep in mind PG&E normally only allows a rate change once a year. I can't say if E1, E9A, E9B or E6 is best for you with or without solar. For my particular situation E9A with solar would be the best bet followed by E6 with solar. E7 with solar would have been the best by far but of course it is no longer available. I know this by having historical time of use usage data with an EV for a number of years. I have not installed solar yet myself.

The Federal solar credits generally do carry over according to this article http://www.dsireusa.org/incentives/ince ... Code=US37F

The Federal credits for the EV do not carry over from what I understand unfortunately.
Green Honda EV Plus 02/1998-12/2003 plate "ZERO CO2" rip, Aptera 2e #726 canceled
Blue Nissan Leaf SL loaded reserved 04/20/2010 ordered 08/31/2010 EVSE Blink #182
CARWINGS Nickname Theres233, should be Spies

DoxyLover

Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:02 am

Spies wrote:E9A or E9B is no longer mandatory so you can choose any rate you are eligible for.
Just want to make sure I understand. I could install a charging station and take delivery of my Leaf, telling PG&E so they can check the available power on my circuit, etc., and initially keep E1. Then later, I could switch to E6 and not be forced into E9 instead?

That would make life easier.

I do understand no more than 1 rate change per year. That makes sense.

I will need to check with my tax person about the credits. I have enough income to absorb the Leaf's $7500 credit but maybe not that and the solar credit. It sounds like I would be able to zero out my year with the $7500 plus part of the solar and then take the rest of the solar next year, but I'll make sure.

Thanks a lot.

planet4ever
Delivery Date: 02 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1537

Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:40 pm

I haven't checked recently, but I seem to remember there are problems trying to take multiple credits in the same year. Do clear it with your tax person.

My rule of thumb is that E1 is a loser if you have solar, though there may be exceptions. The tradeoff between E6 and E9 depends very much on how much solar you have (if any), how much power your house uses, and when, and how much you will be driving the LEAF. You also need to consider E9a vs. E9b. Installation for E9b is more expensive, but you might be able to recoup that in a few years depending on power usage by the house and the car. E9b can get very expensive with underground lines, but it may be considerably cheaper with your overhead wires. (I'm guessing that overhead service means an older neighborhood and quite likely less than 150A service. If true, I would expect you to need new wires from the street for E9b.)

Ray
End of April 2013: Traded my 2011 SL for a 2013 S with charge pkg.

DoxyLover

Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:36 pm

planet4ever wrote:(I'm guessing that overhead service means an older neighborhood and quite likely less than 150A service. If true, I would expect you to need new wires from the street for E9b.)

Ray
The house/tract was built in 1965 but it has 150A service.

Thanks

mxp
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:10 am

planet4ever wrote:
mxp wrote:Another Question I have is this: I could have sworn I previously spoke to someone at PG & E that if you have a Smart meter, you will NOT be charged the E9B Meter Charge per meter per day: 0.21881 cents.
It sounds like what you have is a GE kV2 meter. This is not a smart meter; it doesn't transmit data to the central office, so a meter reader still has to come around every month. (Hence the meter charge.)

Ray
Thanks for your reply Ray.

I currently have a query to my PG & E rep for this. Incidently, another user on MNL who has a 2nd meter installed (re: Glenn aka Bassman) did not get charged with this daily meter fee. He commented it on a different thread....

Still waiting for PG & E to respond back to me...

jtrain73
Delivery Date: 15 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 4085

Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:55 am

Hi all,

We are new to CA in May, and I got my Leaf in mid-July to save on gas costs and toll costs with the HOV sticker. Have been thrilled on both counts and I am enjoying driving the Leaf as well, which I didn't expect. I am just now starting to look into the electricity bill and am on E1 in area XB.

We only have 2 months of electric bill history with PG&E now, so I don't have a lot of data to work with, but I have determined that my charging usage for the Leaf is about 9 kwh per day. We have to run the A/C during day and we do go into the 5th tier on pricing for a portion of our bill. Despite this, we are considering switching to 9A and using the programmable thermostat to sync the A/C to part-peak rates where possible. I think 9A will save my $50 - $100 per month in cost.

What is the process for switching to 9A and how long would it be until we were switched? I see references to an application or form, but can't find that. I also see notes about needing a new meter, but we have a "smart meter" as is, so I'm unsure if that is the case.

planet4ever
Delivery Date: 02 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1537

Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:52 pm

That sounds like a good direction for you to go. To change schedules I think you just call the number on your PG&E bill. Since you don't have solar panels (or a wind turbine), you would keep your current smart meter. Obviously you will want to use a timer to charge the car between midnight and 7 AM.

If you are currently going up into tier 5, welcome to some of the highest rates in the nation. You might want to seriously consider getting solar panels. Trying to generate all of your electricity might well be impossible, depending on your roof, and the up-front cost would be very high. It would probably be better to get just enough panels to keep you down in tier 1 and 2 most of the time.

Ray
End of April 2013: Traded my 2011 SL for a 2013 S with charge pkg.

oakwcj
Delivery Date: 19 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2441

Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:30 pm

jtrain73 wrote:Hi all,

We are new to CA in May, and I got my Leaf in mid-July to save on gas costs and toll costs with the HOV sticker. Have been thrilled on both counts and I am enjoying driving the Leaf as well, which I didn't expect. I am just now starting to look into the electricity bill and am on E1 in area XB.

We only have 2 months of electric bill history with PG&E now, so I don't have a lot of data to work with, but I have determined that my charging usage for the Leaf is about 9 kwh per day. We have to run the A/C during day and we do go into the 5th tier on pricing for a portion of our bill. Despite this, we are considering switching to 9A and using the programmable thermostat to sync the A/C to part-peak rates where possible. I think 9A will save my $50 - $100 per month in cost.

What is the process for switching to 9A and how long would it be until we were switched? I see references to an application or form, but can't find that. I also see notes about needing a new meter, but we have a "smart meter" as is, so I'm unsure if that is the case.
It may take a few weeks to process a change request, but it will be retroactive to the date you apply. The "application" covers the billing switch and a load assessment to be sure that the transformer[s] in your area can handle the load associated with charging an EV. This web page has the phone number and other info:

http://www.pge.com/myhome/environment/w ... evehicles/
Cayenne Red SL-e
Blink Installed 6/23/11

Return to “Utilities”