Reservation for sale/trade?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rowdydoody

I'm looking for a reservation for August or September to buy. My reservation is for Feb 2011. Anyone interested in trading reservations if I threw in $500? Is this even possible? This is a serious inquiry - let me know.

rowdydoody said:
I'm looking for a reservation for August or September to buy. My reservation is for Feb 2011. Anyone interested in trading reservations if I threw in $500? Is this even possible? This is a serious inquiry - let me know.
Reservations are NON transferable (per Nissan)

Presumably, one could order the LEAF using a dealer near the "clone", and then do not close the deal on the LEAF after it arrives at that dealer, creating an "orphan".

Question is, can (and will) that dealer sell the orphan to the "clone", and for how much?

Presumably the dealer could have an "open" order from the "clone", at a specific price.

But, will the dealer get control of the "orphan" LEAF, or will Nissan re-assign it elsewhere?

GM is letting the market run wild. Nissan is trying to assure there won't be "scalping" going on with people buying them just on speculation they can get enormous profits on eBay for the 1st ones delivered. Quite an amazing difference in corporate philosophies.

Let us know if you find a person and dealer who will work with you. I'm very curious how much of this is going to go on.

(edit to add: By the way, my August slot is available for $75,000 cash) :twisted:

To clarify - I plan to use the Leaf for personal uses and not sell it on eBay. It's just worth about $500 or so to have it sooner rather than later. I don't need the first one, just looking to get my order placed by September.

As further background - I'm looking to get as much of the tax credits applied to my 2010 income as possible to ensure that I get the full benefit of the credit. I'm not willing to do the charger install until I've completed an order. So, if I can get that done in 2010 then the credits start to make more sense.

Anyway, this can be a sweet deal to anyone out there who may be having second thoughts but would like to extract some value from being the first in line - well done for those of you who got wind of the Leaf sooner and got in line!! Please note - I'd be willing to travel to So Cal to make the deal work if needed.

Thanks!

Please talk to some dealers. Finding someone willing won't help if the dealer won't be able to do it for both of you.

I have confirmed with two dealers - the reservation is only assiged to a person once a dealership is chosen as a part of the order process (you receive an order email in the month that you have been queued to order). So, as long as you haven't chosen a dealer, you can do what you want with the reservation. My offer stands - any takers?

rowdydoody ... I don't think that part is in dispute. I think the more complex issue is that Customer A's name is on the reservation, and goes on the order. The question is how Customer B (you) get "slipped in" to pick up and pay for the car at time of delivery. And that's something that the dealer needs to be involved in.

LEAFer said:
rowdydoody ... I don't think that part is in dispute. I think the more complex issue is that Customer A's name is on the reservation, and goes on the order. The question is how Customer B (you) get "slipped in" to pick up and pay for the car at time of delivery. And that's something that the dealer needs to be involved in.

Based on the system Nissan has in place, a person that is not on the reservation can only buy one after the official person completes the purchase and takes delivery. Nissan is requesting most (if not all) the purchase details be provided prior to delivery. If a sale falls through, the vehicle will be re-allocated to the closest match buyer (model, color, specs,..) next in line in that market. That dealer will probably not even see that unit if it is not the preferred dealer to the next in line.

CampbellNelson said:
Based on the system Nissan has in place, a person that is not on the reservation can only buy one after the official person completes the purchase and takes delivery. Nissan is requesting most (if not all) the purchase details be provided prior to delivery. If a sale falls through, the vehicle will be re-allocated to the closest match buyer (model, color, specs,..) next in line in that market. That dealer will probably not even see that unit if it is not the preferred dealer to the next in line.
If Customer A (the one who reserved and ordered) walks into the dealership to pickup the car at delivery, and Customer B walks in with him, and the dealer agrees, then the paperwork gets redone prior to delivery of the keys and car to Customer B. "Key" is, the dealer is willing. No need to involve Nissan.

As I have been told, the only point where a name is assigned - and cannot be changed from that point on - is when the process moves from being a reservation to being an order. You will receive an invitation to order - at that point, when responding to the invitation, use my name and selections and the order is now mine.

Let me know if you're interested - like I said, it's $500 ($600 including your reservation fee) if you would like to sell. I hand you cash and I place the order using your invitation email. And if you like - I give you my Feb 2011 invitation.

rowdydoody said:
You will receive an invitation to order - at that point, when responding to the invitation, use my name and selections and the order is now mine.

You mean with the old address ? Is that legal ?

rowdydoody said:
Also, to clarify - you must not have chosen a dealer yet or this won't work!!!
Why ? I thought you get to choose during the confirmation process the dealer you want to provide the quote to you. Then you have additional chances to turn down the dealer and try a different one ... yes ?

AFTER your ordered car arrives at "your" dealer, you decide you do not want it and walk away, and that car, sitting AT your dealership, is an "orphan".

Are you saying that Nissan will take the orphan LEAF away from the dealer, so the dealer CANNOT sell it as a car-in-inventory?

garygid said:
AFTER your ordered car arrives at "your" dealer, you decide you do not want it and walk away, and that car, sitting AT your dealership, is an "orphan".

Are you saying that Nissan will take the orphan LEAF away from the dealer, so the dealer CANNOT sell it as a car-in-inventory?

Nissan may require the orphan to be assigned to the next in line to get a Leaf of the same configuration. There might be few to no orphans until the list plays out.
Pure speculation.

Back