Can you tax-credit multiple EVs in same calendar year?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

queuetee

I think the answer is yes, but just want to confirm with experts here since I am very new to EV. I just bought Honda Clarity 4 weeks ago, like EV so much, decide to get the Leaf
Can I still get
7500 from Fed
2000 from CA
800 from PG&E

I live in Northern California, Bay Area, Alameda County

Thanks a lot.

I think the FED tax credit one you can use as long as you pay a high enough tax burden to use it twice in one year. so you would need a 15k tax burden correct? Or less if one of the EV credits has started to sunset.

But the CA rebate they changed - I believe each person can only use it once per lifetime now, though if like me you used it once before, you get one more. But only if you used it in 2019 or before. I think you CANNOT use it again in 2020 if you already did. In fact, never again.

I have thought that maybe that means my wife can also use it once? I'm not sure how savvy CA is. Technically you also must keep the EV over 2 years - maybe 2.5 years - or they can ask for the money back. My guess would be NO for CA in regards to your specific question.

As far as electric company, not sure. I'm on SCE and I don't think its limited.

Yes on Federal tax credit. What dan mentioned re: Federal tax liability for a calendar year is probably right.

Pretty sure yes on PG&E clean fuel rebate as it's per VIN.

For CVRP, no, see https://cleanvehiclerebate.org/eng/eligibility-guidelines.

I don't think AMT (alternative minimum tax) applies to the Federal EV tax credit, but I know that AMT limited my ability to take the EVSE tax credit in 2011 when I bought my first LEAF and my AeroVironment EVSE. If you have enough Federal tax liability this year, you should be able to take full credits for both EV's, but read the IRS publications regarding the EV credit and AMT carefully or consult a competent tax advisor that is familiar with the EV credits.

Don't forget that if you are over 59 1/2 and don't have the full $7,500 Federal tax liability (or $15,000 in your case), you could do an IRA to Roth rollover to create the tax burden. I received the $7,500 Federal credit on both our '18 S and our '19 SV Plus, but not in the same year.

For Oregonians reading this thread, you can get the Oregon EV rebate repeatedly, but I had to wait until the two year ownership anniversary before selling our '18 to avoid repaying the Oregon $2,500 rebate.

Back