Advice Needed: Looking at a 2019 SL to replace my Grand Cherokee

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikiescloset

I currently own a 2015 Grand Cherokee Limited. It's a great SUV but honestly I think it's a little overkill for my needs. I have a short 3 mile commute to work. Everything is close by shopping entertainment etc. I rarely take my Jeep on the freeway. It's 5 years old and only has 17k miles. Its gets 12mpg which is awful. I really enjoy technology and have been looking into an EV but I'm a little scared to take the plunge. I found a nice certified pre-owned 2019 SL at my local dealer this weekend. It has 6000 miles on it. Comparing it to the Grand Cherokee seems unfair. My family thinks I'm crazy for considering it and telling me I'll regret it etc. The winters here in PA do have me concerned, but I figured snow tires would definitely be on my list if I did buy the LEAF. Well I guess I'm just looking for some advice or encouragement on trading a luxury SUV in for a LEAF. Anyone else done this drastic of a change? What do you think? Thanks for any advice!

Leafs handle quite well in snow with good snow tires on all wheels. I see no reason why a 2019 SL wouldn't be great for a 3 mile commute. It has the further advantage of not having to worry about burning off water and sludge in an engine - I''l bet the Jeep is aging rapidly in the drivetrain for that reason.

mikiescloset said:
I currently own a 2015 Grand Cherokee Limited. It's a great SUV but honestly I think it's a little overkill for my needs. I have a short 3 mile commute to work. Everything is close by shopping entertainment etc. I rarely take my Jeep on the freeway. It's 5 years old and only has 17k miles. Its gets 12mpg which is awful. I really enjoy technology and have been looking into an EV but I'm a little scared to take the plunge. I found a nice certified pre-owned 2019 SL at my local dealer this weekend. It has 6000 miles on it. Comparing it to the Grand Cherokee seems unfair. My family thinks I'm crazy for considering it and telling me I'll regret it etc. The winters here in PA do have me concerned, but I figured snow tires would definitely be on my list if I did buy the LEAF. Well I guess I'm just looking for some advice or encouragement on trading a luxury SUV in for a LEAF. Anyone else done this drastic of a change? What do you think? Thanks for any advice!

Never buy from a dealer, especially a Nissan dealer. The 2019 SL is not worth even half of the asking price. Your family is right.

Why not takeover someone else's lease payments on a 2018 LEAF, as you'll likely only have a few months of payments to make until the lease expires, plus you'll have an option to buy if you decide you like it.

The 2018 LEAF has a 40 kWh pack, which should be plenty for your needs.

Low center of gravity and weight distribution from battery, Leaf handles great in snow without snow tires.

Look into charging options, public chargers in your area can weight on the decision to go electric.

mikiescloset said:
I have a short 3 mile commute to work. Everything is close by shopping entertainment etc. I rarely take my Jeep on the freeway. It's 5 years old and only has 17k miles.
You are an ideal customer for a LEAF. You will never have any range concerns. Definitely get the snow tires to go with the LEAF.

coleafrado said:
Never buy from a dealer, especially a Nissan dealer. The 2019 SL is not worth even half of the asking price.

He didn't include an asking price, so how do you get that conclusion?

jlv said:
mikiescloset said:
I have a short 3 mile commute to work. Everything is close by shopping entertainment etc. I rarely take my Jeep on the freeway. It's 5 years old and only has 17k miles.
You are an ideal customer for a LEAF. You will never have any range concerns. Definitely get the snow tires to go with the LEAF.
I second, or would it be third :D the snow tires. while you could probably get by without them, I did for 4 years, it's more pleasant with them. The one thing different than your Cherokee though is the clearance, the Leaf is relatively low to the ground so don't expect to be able to drive through unplowed snow much higher than 5", I've done 6 without snows but if I had stopped I'd never have got going again. At 6" the car will be rubbing on the snow, no way around that.

LeftieBiker said:
Leafs handle quite well in snow with good snow tires on all wheels. I see no reason why a 2019 SL wouldn't be great for a 3 mile commute. It has the further advantage of not having to worry about burning off water and sludge in an engine - I''l bet the Jeep is aging rapidly in the drivetrain for that reason.

I totally concur. 17k miles in 5 years, 3 miles at a time, with an ICE isn't healthy. For an EV, this is ideal.

Consider that you'll need a dedicated elec. power source for charging. This can get complicated for some homeowners.

Consider that you'll need a dedicated elec. power source for charging. This can get complicated for some homeowners.

True, but with that commute all that is needed is a good 15 amp 120 volt circuit with nothing other than a light or two already using it, and the EVSE that comes with the car. The OP could also get an adjustable EVSE and set it to 8 amps (?) if there is a modest load (<5A) on the circuit.

I'm just going to put this out here: buying a 2019 SL for a 3 mile commute is like using a Saturn 5 to launch a toothpick. A Cherokee isn't good either, but at least you own it already.

Consider a used EV. You'll save probably 75% vs purchasing at a dealership and your insurance will be substantially lower.

coleafrado said:
I'm just going to put this out here: buying a 2019 SL for a 3 mile commute is like using a Saturn 5 to launch a toothpick. A Cherokee isn't good either, but at least you own it already.

Consider a used EV. You'll save probably 75% vs purchasing at a dealership and your insurance will be substantially lower.

We all have opinions, and all like to share them. That is better than telling someone that the car they are looking at " is not worth even half of the asking price", without even knowing the price - because you don't think that they should get it.

Back