My user name should say it all

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dontbuyaleaf

2 year lease from the worst dealership I have been to. Carriage Nissan in Gainsville GA. Carl was the sales manager that promised me 100 miles on average. He recently told me they changed their "sales pitch" 100 miles was the claim when I got it. When I only got 65 on average the dealer and Nissan said the car was not meant to be driven on the highway. Funny, is this a golf cart.

Now at 18000 miles my tires are bald and I have paint flaking on my back bumper. The dealer said they looked at it with a magnifying glass and said there is a point of impact. I can't see one.

I dream of the day when I can turn this turd in.

What are the least expensive tires I can put on this car so I'm not penalized for having bald tires.

*when I turn this car in I will be happy to trade my upgraded charger for a stock one with any of you that need one for no cost to you.

Did you wait until now to read the forum and make your first post?
I agree 100 miles is a tough challenge but 65 is calling it a bit short.
Should have had 44 psi in those tires and slow down a bit.

It all depends on how you drive. I could easily get 100 miles from my Leaf when I first got it. Have 30,000 miles on the original tires and still have 7/32 inch tread depth (new tires have 10/32).

Goodyear Eagle L/S tires can be found cheap and provide a both a decent ride and decent efficiency. They do hydroplane in heavy rain at freeway speeds.

Looking at the complaints above I have some sympathy, but why do people expect car dealers to tell the truth? Was that the first car you ever acquired from one? They are at best disingenuous, and at worst crooks. Imagine having bought your kid a GM car that then killed said kid because GM didn't want to fix an ignition switch that they knew was bad...

I am sorry to learn that the LEAF has not met the OP's expectations. That false claim as to "100 miles on average" was pretty toxic, and it is unfortunately the case that a great many people spend thousands on vehicles based on the uncorroborated advice of salespeople. Sure, anyone can get 100 miles from the LEAF with careful driving in the right conditions, but how realistic is that for most people?

That said, there's no need to tell others not to buy the LEAF. Just tell them the truth about the range and let them decide whether it might be a fit for their needs. The LEAF can be great fit for many multi-car families that can use a LEAF locally and a gas car for longer trips.

As for tires, maybe ask around for some used OEM tires. Mine were bald by 14K miles, but then again, I drive twisty roads most of the time.

OP has driven for 18 months so fa,r an average of 1000 miles per month with 18000 miles on the Odo, and 6 more months to go. So he/she is on track to drive the standard 24k miles. And still complaining ?

Yes the 100 miles range claim was disingenuous, but what did the OP expect? 100 miles at 75 mph? or 50 mph? What is the experience of the OP on the mileage claims of all the gas cars? Has he/she ever complained about it ?

Yes, my two front tires in these very abrasive concrete roads went bald at 20k miles that i replaced them with some cheapo tires that cost me $100 a piece before I returned that at 30k miles. I was not dinged for anything when I re-leased a new 2014 SV. I did spend $100 at the local car wash for a complete wax workup and the shine came up like new, in spite of many visible scratches and door dings.

abasile said:
I am sorry to learn that the LEAF has not met the OP's expectations. That false claim as to "100 miles on average" was pretty toxic, and it is unfortunately the case that a great many people spend thousands on vehicles based on the uncorroborated advice of salespeople. Sure, anyone can get 100 miles from the LEAF with careful driving in the right conditions, but how realistic is that for most people?

That said, there's no need to tell others not to buy the LEAF. Just tell them the truth about the range and let them decide whether it might be a fit for their needs. The LEAF can be great fit for many multi-car families that can use a LEAF locally and a gas car for longer trips.

As for tires, maybe ask around for some used OEM tires. Mine were bald by 14K miles, but then again, I drive twisty roads most of the time.

Great help. I would turn it in today since this is our 4th car but it would cost me more than if I keep it. I did pay to upgrade the charger from the nice guys in Berkeley. Without that charger I would have gone nuts.

I will trade it for a stock cord when I trade it in. If anyone wants it I will part with it in in mid November .

Cheers

You are being disingenuous by comparing mileage to range... An ICE car that does not get the advertised fuel mileage will not prevent you from getting to your destination. A BEV that does not get the advertised range will.

And the Ecopias ARE known to be generally crappy tires (thus why many call them Ecrapias)...

mkjayakumar said:
What is the experience of the OP on the mileage claims of all the gas cars? Has he/she ever complained about it ?

It's sad that after 3 years there are still Nissan dealers out there that still advertise the LEAF as a "100 miles average range". But the EPA range is printed on the sticker - pretty big letters if I recall. That should at least have triggered you to question what the dealer told you. Car salesperson is one the least trusted profession in the country for a reason.

For the tires, you have a point. The LEAF's heavier than similar sized other cars, corners better and accelerates more so it's easier to go through tires with a LEAF. But it's true with lots of other cars and it's not like you can't do anything about it. I got 50K out of the LEAF's stock Ecopias tires and they were not bald when I replaced them with a set of Michelin Energy Saver.

For the flaking, please post a picture. On one side it's something you have to look at with a magnifying glass, on the other side it's so bad you want to get rid of the car... We need objective data to give opinions (assuming that's what you were looking for by posting here).

As for "not meant to be driven on the freeway", it's funny. I suspect what they wanted to say was not meant for "cross country freeway trips". I drive this car mostly on the freeway and I have to say that above 80mph, the LEAF shines by how stable and quiet it is. The LEAF is anything but a golf cart. It's just that at that speed you won't get more than 50 miles of range.

Dealers are pathetic and will say anything to blow you off, including disparaging their own cars. But unless you are buying a Tesla, you've got to get past that troll.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWS8Mg-JWSg[/youtube]

I sympathise with anyone that had a bad experience, but in this day and age I am surprised that anyone would make such a significant purchase without considerable research beforehand. Especially for such a new technology. I had no illusions regarding range when I got the car, and was already armed with lots of other useful information thanks to this, and other web sites.

In 2012, my sales person said worst case scenario, 100 miles on a single charge.

But I'm not coming on the forums two years later complaining about it. Why? Because a car, for most of us, is the second most expensive purchase we will make. And just like the research I did on my house before buying it, I did a lot of research on my car, and I learned beforehand that 100 mile range was atypical, and 75 mile range was more real-world in the summer, and 55 miles was more real-world in the winter.

When I got the car, the expected 75 miles in the summer was roughly accurate. Winter ended up being 45 miles, which was a slight disappointment, but not a major inconvenience.

It's unfortunate that Nissan sales people push the 100 mile figure. Is it possible to do 100 miles in a single charge? Sure. Is it ethical to suggest that's a real world or average range? No. Do you have good reason to complain? Yes. I'm sorry you got screwed, but next time do more research before you commit to such a purchase. Most of us weren't shocked when we saw the car could only do 100 miles in certain conditions because we already knew which conditions those were.

As far as the paint- I have a few paint chips on the front bumper from stone throws. General consensus is Nissans in general have inferior paint. If there is indeed impact damage on the rear bumper, you call your insurance company and you have them fix it. If they can't locate collision damage, you can take that info back to Nissan and ask them to repaint it. You also don't have to go to the same dealership each time. If one dealership refuses repairs, find another one.

can a car buyer really legitimately complain that a sales person lies to you or the finance guy tries to sell you useless stuff?

discuss.

The 100 mile figure should NOT be used by salesman. However does anyone believe anything a car salesman has to say about anything ? I would think not.

Your first clue should be the EPA window sticker that says 73 miles range. At least thats what it had in 2012 when I bought mine. I think the newer cars have 84 mile range on the sticker. This is much closer to reality than salesman talk.

All well and good today but keep in mind that the very early adopters such as myself had no such information on which to draw... We simply had Nissan's lies for the most-part...

Nubo said:
I sympathise with anyone that had a bad experience, but in this day and age I am surprised that anyone would make such a significant purchase without considerable research beforehand. Especially for such a new technology. I had no illusions regarding range when I got the car, and was already armed with lots of other useful information thanks to this, and other web sites.

KJD said:
The 100 mile figure should NOT be used by salesman. However does anyone believe anything a car salesman has to say about anything ? I would think not.

Your first clue should be the EPA window sticker that says 73 miles range. At least thats what it had in 2012 when I bought mine. I think the newer cars have 84 mile range on the sticker. This is much closer to reality than salesman talk.
Agree on the 1st point. I guess I'll need to add that dealer to http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=13264" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Nobody at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=11201" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; felt 100 miles was appropriate either.

The 84 mile range on the Monroney sticker didn't come until the '14+ model year.

ericsf said:
It's sad that after 3 years there are still Nissan dealers out there that still advertise the LEAF as a "100 miles average range". But the EPA range is printed on the sticker - pretty big letters if I recall.
I found a pic at http://gtcarlot.com/data/Nissan/LEAF/2012/56873019/Window%20Sticker-61589634.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. The 73 miles isn't that large. Instead, 99 is much more prominent. :roll:

We also had this garbage "MIL: Dealer says "they've increased the range to 102 miles"":
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11867" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

'13 Leaf sticker: http://insideevs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/2013-Nissan-LEAF-sticker-S-Model.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; from http://insideevs.com/2013-nissan-leaf-rated-at-75-miles-but-84-miles-using-the-old-system/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

ericsf said:
That should at least have triggered you to question what the dealer told you.
Yep.

I LOVE my LEAF

Every Week I crash two all Gas car meets to spread the word about EVs.

This past Monday I went to one and two of my buddies showed up with their Tesla's

It was a Huge hit and we talked to dozens of people about EVs.

two_tesla_one_leaf.jpg

You really should have spoken to actual owners of the LEAF and not taken the word of the salesmen (all they want to do is sell a car)

Sal

TomT said:
All well and good today but keep in mind that the very early adopters such as myself had no such information on which to draw... We simply had Nissan's lies for the most-part...

Nubo said:

I recall there was skepticism even pre-release, given the 24 kWH pack, EV efficiency and reasonable assumptions about capacity held in reserve at high and low end. Also it was clear that the LA4 test cycle which Nissan used, was not the same as highway cruising at 65mph, much less most peoples' idea of "real-world driving(™)". :)

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=510" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

which contains my post of June 4, 2010:
Nissan needs to get way out ahead of this, imho. I don't think they have been intentionally misleading and I understand the reasoning behind using the LA4 test cycle as a standard -- they are following CA's lead. People who are highly interested in the topic and have read up on EV issues, will already understand that 100 miles LA4 does NOT translate to 100 miles of freeway cruising at even 60mph, much less 70. But the average consumer will not be expecting this, as the WSJ story makes clear.

Back